Collaborative Fiction

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by KILLX, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I was writing today, and I put a nice day leading up, but the wind picks up soon, and a storm starts. I suppose people are alright with that?

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Not sure what i'll do...I'm probably going to start from the Bren's sighting and then later switch to a Jekotian taskforce (led by my main chars ma) ^^ .

3. Bleeding Internet

Bleeding Internet Member

Heh, the thread title reminds me of HL2...

"It has come to my attention that some have lately called me a collaborator, as if such a term were shameful. I ask you, what greater endeavour exists than that of collaboration? In our current unparalleled enterprise, refusal to collaborate is simply a refusal to grow; an insistence on suicide, if you will."

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

So, thought of 2 things.

First is consistency. For this to look good, we should probably find a level of detail everyone can do. If one person is super detailed, and one isnt, this overall project will seem somewhat bad in reading because readers will become accustomed to the uber details once they read one of those parts. Personally, I could probably write half a page on a guy going through all the steps in loading and firing a shell if needed, so I can do pretty detailed. We need to find who is capable of the lowest level of detail as their high point, and make that our consistent benchmark.

Secondly is keeping everything in tune. For this we should see if an admin can set up a small sub-forum only us writers on this project can see so we can post freely about this (hey, a guy can wish even if its super unlikely :D ) or, more likely, set up a free forum somewhere so we can post content in peace pending official story posting, to ensure we dont have interference.

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Why don't you make a sign up list?

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

If you want to take part PM me with the title "[your name] Joining the Collaborative Fiction Project", I will post the full list in 4 days time.

7. Melee

Melee Member

I was gonna do a piece but cant be arsed now, its in teh bin..............

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I just did a bit...took me six hours or so, but I ain't sure at all if it's worthy :rolleyes:

9. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

You had 6 spare hours?

I hate you. In any case, so did I when I was bored in Graphics

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol, all my days are free until I actually get a job ^^

11. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Lazy SOB :P

Can we expect a Story thread? could Megel do it?

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

if no admin does in the next couple days (i honestly dont expect anyone will), I'll just set up a free forum. then we can post at will there without worring about the public seeing all our shitty refined ideas :)

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'll see if the CW guys can make space later mebbe...Evan's always been very generous with forums..

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

:D
    <filler>

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Endwar/

Renamed the operation more appropriately to Endwar (no matter who wins, the war is effectively over) and set up some forums.

16. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Bump because I still want to do this. A lot of interest was shown, and I'd hate to let this die.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Not sure...you can always leave the battle open and if people write stuff for it, it'll eventually all be covered. You could ask for battle accounts from this engagement and just collate them into a big story. I'm sure lots of people would be in fer that...

I was thinking of doing a part four for my own story recently, but I don't think I can write for this sorta thing very well.

18. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

So, is this dead? No one is interested anymore?

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Doubtful...I haven't even written anymore on my own story in an age. The people who would be good at this kind of thing don't even respond to this thread...i'm more than a bit fail at writing to anyone elses specification.

Besides, I hate WWII style stories :p