Collaborative Fiction

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by KILLX, Jan 26, 2008.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

So, was talking in IRC, and someone suggest that the old league basemap (now being turned into a normal map) be themed for a Jekotian invasion of the Brenodi capital, Bren. After saying how it would be silly as that invasion would be liek 300 times bigger, it made me think about how epically large it would be, and that would would make for anh interesting story.

What I'm proposing here is that a few other fan fiction writers work with me to create an epic story of the Jekotian invasion of Bren. It would be written to show multiple sides, with areas where it crosses over (e.g. writer 1 talks about a Brenodi getting killed in his NF based story on the NF side of the conflict, another story ends from the BE side because its based around the guy killed in the story writer 1 made). This wouldn't be some small fan fiction. This would be huge, and require a lot of effort for consistencies. This ain't some kiddie fan fic, this is big. it will require dedication from everyone involved.

Sadly, the ending will have to be somewhat predictable. In order to remain within the set Empires universe, the Jekotian invasion has to fail. this will need to be set before the NF is formed, when Jekotia is at its prime. An all out assault in a losing war, a hope to turn the tide, and its inevitable failure.

I'm really hoping Don Megel will help with this (he knows Empires fiction better than anyone, hell, he created most of the back story, if not all of it), even if its not in writing, but to help us ensure accuracy.

No offence to anyone out there, but I'd rather keep this strictly to writers that have already proven themselves in these forums with their works, I want this to be of quality, something worth reading a few times, not just a one time read and forget.

If you wish to participate, just give me a shout. I'm probably going to get started on the preliminary Jekotian stuff tomorrow, the planning for the invasion.

edit: P.S. Simon, your welcome to make us some of your poetry :p

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Oddly enough, I have already (half)written something exactly like this, should be interesting.

3. Chahk

Chahk Member

Who says there was only one invasion? A story can certainly be changed to include several assault waves on the Brenodi capital with varrying levels of success, which will make the map winable by either team storyline-wise.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

uh, map, wut? were talking story, not gameplay. And I never said it would be total failure. yes, some things will succeed, but in the end, to stay within the set Empires universe, the invasion must, overall be a failure. A successful attack on Bren would cripple the Brenodi Empire, so it wouldn't fit into what is already laid down.

5. Chahk

Chahk Member

Hmm... Somehow I thought you were talking about the "base" map Solokiller was making for the League. Nevermind me then.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What about having us write about our separate crews during the epic battle? That would be easier right - as long as we don't infringe on each other. Or we'll need a lot of strict guidelines to do it piecemeal right ~

Oh btw, for Jekotia to invade Bren wouldn't that mean they got passed all of the Brenodi outposts? Or are you referring to the founding fiction for empires...somehow?

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

they can attack Bren by sea. unlike Ronan, the Jekotian capital, Bren is not in the heart of the Brenodi Empire, it is right on the southern coast.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Interesting...so, how far away is Bren from the sea then? - it's not a "take the beach" kind of thing is it? More like a "land quietly in the middle of the night and travel a couple of miles to the city outskirts"?

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

...well thanks...doesn't really answer my question, so i'll just make it up ^^

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

dont make it up. thats part of wehat I'm doing. i'm finishing Journals from the 83rd and having it lead off into this. I've already started the briefing on it.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Then share it share it...you may not have noticed, by my style of writing isn't easy to tie down, or I would have made part 4 of my story by now.

If you throw me a line I can have a brainwave off that and produce something, otherwise i'm going to have my guys sneak in by boat and be a tangent to the main assault on an infiltration mission. I don't do gritty well, so if it's to be trench warfare an' all, it might not turn out quite as you planned (e.g random heroics and people spouting rhetoric about why they're fightin' and all).

I don't know...it's difficult, if I could write consistently i'd have a vocation by now ^^

Also...tssk where are all the other writers?

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Heres the quick summary: the assault is from the south. The entire available Jekotian fleet has been mustered, as much of the aircraft, armored divisions, infantry groups. Everything available has been routed to this invasion, as well as some positions being slightly weakened by taking resources from them.

The initial assault is with boats similar to those used on D-Day. The main battle group is stuck at sea while the first wave works inland to disable the coastal defenses (light tanks and heavy infantry). Once the coastal defenses are disabled, the battle group will move to shore and offload heavy armor, as well as coordinate with scouts for targets for the main cannons. Air support will be called in once the anti-aircraft defences farther inland are disabled. this is where the invasions ultimately fails. The anti-air systems outgun the Jekotian aircraft, while Brenodi air support decimates the Jekotian assault. by this time, the Brenodi muster a battle group to destroy the Jekotian fleet that attacked Bren.

The Jekotian desperately pull back, knowing if they lose the battle group they are stranded in enemy territory, out gunned, with no chance of escaping or surviving.

Theres your summary, gonna do some more tomorrow. Also, irc://irc.gamesurge.net/emp-story

14. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Just saw this thread. Very Interesting, I'd love to help, maybe even carry over my new Scout character from the main story (who is one of the people found in stasis, meaning he would be alive for this assault).

These two nations have been fighting each other for centuries so there have been countless invasions by both sides but eventually the loosing side recovers...untill about 25 years before Empires is set when Jekotia finally fell. Want to set this, say, five or ten years before the eventual fall of Jekotia? meaning 30/35 years ago Empires time? (ET)

Also, the format, it would be much more accesable to let people write about thier own characters and situations whilst keeping with the over all story line. They can interact with other people's characters but can not change or alter them (dont kill off my guy unless I tell you you can or make him a child molester, etc). Also no massive leaps in time, so you cant have several weeks pass by in one post as that effects everyone's story line. Maybe have a main writer who makes sure time and events transpire at a reasonable rate.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Excellent, thanks a lot Killx.

This confuses me slightly...when we're writing about our stories now, it's in the present isn't it? And the present is actual Empires time, right? I thought Killx was setting this story as just another push from the NF in the 'after-jekotia' fall? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind where you set this one, but I do need to know for my characters ~

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Hell no. This is what crippled Jekotia. They knew they were losing the war, this was their final great attempt to turn the tide. The single greatest invasion the planet has even know, and the Brenodi's heroic efforts to stop it. Days of fighting, constant coastal bombardment, warfare on an unprecedented scale (hell, they are attacking a THE capitol :p)

Thinking of calling it Operation Tombstone for the actual operation name (along the lines of "either were sending the Brenodi to hell, or digging our own grave.") best thing I can think of to fit it. Opinions?

Also, gnight!

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ok...well...we need more writers :p It'd be nice if we had 10 or so to fill the void really...and like as many as we can get of personal squad journals to pad it out.

Think I will do just a...ooh brainwave...um, think I will do just the area regarding my chars as Don suggests, if I try to write even a quarter of an overall view it'd take me years (even this will take some time ^^ ).

18. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Operation Lastditchattempttoramthosesmugbastardsuptheirownrectularorifices?

Operation Free Men

Other things - I'm going for a medic in a first wave squad

Also - since this is D-Day,

1) Lots of Redshirts?
    2) How much gore?
    3) How tough are the defenses
    4) How co-ordinated will the attacks be (ie, Saving Private Ryan chaos, or what the canadians did (Basically walk up an undefended beach))

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

this is the Brenodi capitol. The single most heavily fortified and defended position in the Brenodi Empire. Theres gonna be alot of shit to blow up on the advance.

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Due to slight lack of motivation (starting next week I will no longer be allowed to play games during the week, so I want to make most of this game filled week off school) I wont be getting much done for this. I'll be getting shit loads done next week though, when all I have to do is easy ass school, and sit on my ass. Luckily, everything is forming in my head (its so empty, I could fit Jekotia in it!) so I'll be blazing through this soon enough :D Heres some stuff to help people plan out their bit.

Initial invasion preparation
    Date: October the 13th, 2985 to October the 15th, 2985
    Setting: patrol planes, warships in the battle cluster, possibly Jekotian HQ

Involved Brenodi Units: up to your imagination. Theres at least 100 Jekotian warships attacking, kill off about 14 between everyone. Name your ships, but dont be lame about it (i.e. SS Ikalx, SS Ur Mom, be serious, make it fitting)

Involved Jekotian Units: the crew is up to you. if you want to focus ship side, this is where you start. The Jekotian army will be transporting every type of vehicle found in Empires Mod (only a few CV's, this is total war, not much on base building), as well as field guns towed by AA trucks, and the new hawt jeep shown by DonMegel.
    Jekotian objectives: Reach the shores of Bren. Prepare for war.

Initial invasion
    Date: October the 16th, 2985 (sunrise) to October the 23th, 2985 (midday)
    Setting: Beaches of Bren. Heavily fortified, bunkers everywhere, massive coastal defensive guns scattered 1 km inland, 3.5 km apart, 10 in total.
    Involved Brenodi Units: Heavy infantry, light armor, recon planes, limited artillery support (cant afford to accidentally hit the coastal guns :p)

Involved Jekotian Units: Heavy infantry, light armor, minimal air support, landing boats, heavy artillery support from warships at sea.
    Jekotian objectives: take the beaches at all costs. too late to call the invasion off, disable those coastal guns so the main fleet can come to shore and provide better artillery support and heavy armor support.

Thats the farthest I have things nailed out. Feel free to suggest changes. I'm still working on the announcement of the operation, and the planning stages of it.