Co-commander system?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Commander Z, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Commander Z

Commander Z Member

How about the option for the primary commander to allow a secondary commander if the he or she needs assistance? This way, the primary commander can focus on the bigger picture, while the secondary commander can micromanage? This may also be a good idea to teach newbie commanders the basics without jeopardizing the battle.

Second thought, this may be too complicated…

2. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I like it! And I think that, depending on how the software model was set up, it shouldn't be too difficult, either, as long as the system could be set up to allow people to 'spoof' orders as COM. It's going beyond that into a full secondary interface that could be the nightmare.

3. Balo

Balo Member

co-commander ... I like it. Should't be hard, if all they do is give orders and all the building and researchers re done by the main commander. Maybe let them build too....hmmm

4. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

That's why I said 'spoof'. Both people would be considered 'the' COM. That would probably take less than twenty minutes, as it would basically be breaking the routines to prevent just that. :)

5. Commander Z

Commander Z Member

This may also be a good idea when the primary commander needs to go AFK but still wants to remain in command after he/she gets back. Of course the primary commander should be allowed to restrict the co-commander option at any time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  6. -=GODS=-EZEKIEL

-=GODS=-EZEKIEL Member

make the co comm the '1st sergeant'

in the military, each platoon has a officer and a sarge. the officer decides where point A and point B is, while the sarge gets them to the point B. the company is composed of several platoons and has an officer and a 1st sergeant. the first sergeant job is to execute the orders of the officer.

if made, the sergeant could have a vehicle that could have a calculator cannon or some sort of weapon. or he could just have the interface on foot.

sarge should not be able to place buildings or research.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

This is another idea someone made in the private forums but was also shot down.. Someone was complaining about how being commander is boring and not enough things to do.. So why would you need help? I stay busy when im commander but I wouldnt need help unless a whole nother aspect was added to make it more harder

Someone also suggested having 4 CV's on bigger maps.. But none of these things will be implemented

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

One major question: Would the co-commander have to be in the CV, or will they get their own car (buildable by the commander)? Unlike a real commander, the 'deputy' car would be expendable... and the deputy could do things like drive someplace near the front, drop a building, then get out to build it. (Well, the comm can occasionally do that too, early on, but it's obviously risky. The deputy could even do it with more dangerous tanks eveywhere.)

That would keep the deputy's job from being dull, at least... but it might make the comm even more boring, for people who complain about it.

9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

The best bit about this idea would be the possibility of having a sidecar or little caravan on the comm chair for a deputy to sit in.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Empires games already suffer because instantly two of the players arn't even in the action, they're sitting back in a glorified spectator position. so instead a 5 v 5 game, it instantly becomes 4 v 4. and now 3 v 3?

There are already many people complaining that the Commander doesn't have enough to do, and when you get used to commanding, it's not too hard at all.

11. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I would rather have good squad leaders then a 2IC (second in command)

12. -UWE- Advisor

-UWE- Advisor Member

as a co-commander suggestion added from me, i think that the Secondry commander be able to do these : Order Troops + Research
    the main commander does everytin else. that way, research is easy

and how about an invite? ppl would be like 'Z0m4 MY S3C0N3RY SEAT!' so you could invite 1 person, and they could enter the CV, as if its unlocked for them alone ^^

what you think? 1 - 10?

13. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

A great commanded never runs out of things to do.
    If you do, well watch people fight and direct there attention to more important units.

Frankly there is already pubbers who act like backseat commanders, I don't want any be able to get that title officially.