Clean for 6 days now

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Apr 12, 2014.

?

How long until my relapse?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2014.
  1. 1 week

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 2 weeks

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. a month - pretty good

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 3 months - awesome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6 months - probably on heroin to compensate for gaming

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Last sunday i had an epiphany, a short moment of clearness and i decided to go cold turkey on my computer gaming addiction. I deleted every fucking multiplayer game and MMO off my disk, the download barrier should help me to stay away from this crap a little longer. No more wasted hours in Guild Wars 2, thank you very much!

I am surprised by how much more time i have now, i don't even know what to do with all that time! For now i'm filling the time with improved trolling of the Emp forum, but hey there must be an even better way of using this time, i guess.

So, anyone else got experience in battling their gaming addiction? Succesfully maybe even? I will use this thread to document my progress and any quite possible relapse. WE CAN DO IT!

PS: Next on the list: Quitting this terrible forum.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Sunday had to be some magic day, I started doing push-ups regularly before shower to get at least some muscles.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

idk about quiting the forum entirely, but you can cut down on it by just putting lots of time into hanging out with your friends, and only check the forum once a day. Then you won't be able to follow any threads and will be disinterested in them.

As for gaming, I do it to kill time and shit, I know I have some sort of addiction, but it isn't as bad as it was back in the day. Doing programming assignments or math homework while listening to some avant garde shit or some form of electronic music is an excellent way to get into doing productive work and not thinking about video games. Another thing is that you may think reading wikipedia is productive, it is in fact not, and while you may be learning you are wasting a phenomenal amount of time which you could be dedicating to finishing assignments.

Also get a hobby, because you're not going to be sane doing nothing all day, and let's be real here video games was your hobby even if you don't see yourself as a hobbyist or an enthusiast, so now you need a new hobby. Grow a garden or make homemade explosives, just do something with your time.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Quitting one thing won't really do anything for me, as I have like a thousand interests and a giant backlog/to do list.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You could disconnect your internet for a couple of months/years. Prevents games and general time waste on internet stuff. Only reason I know anything about programing, how to play a guitar. Really learned a lot about baking/making desserts during that period too.

See though, that only prevented me from playing games because I didn't have a way of getting new games. I was still interested in games back then. Now it's a case of me losing complete interest in games, but with my handy dandy internet connection I can watch all the tv shows, anime, read manga all day long. So don't think having no games means you will be productive. Do what grant said, get some hobby that is neat. Music, cooking, computers, rc planes whatever floats your boat.

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Funny enough, I have never had an addiction except maybe gambling but that was when I was younger and all I did was win.

I made about 500$ from the poker games my dad brought me to.
    I started my first savings account after that day.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Get a job. That's a pretty straight forward way of having less free time and being less of a drain on society in general.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I wish I could go back to those carefree days where I'd wake up play empires get my food cooked for me and go back to bed.

Fuck this shit man

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

My new position is great... take inventory... receive parts get paid $21 an hour. Lots of sit down time, life's good. I plan to move up from there though so I am not slacking off. There is much work to be done to fix the inventory up... 80% of inventory is NOT in the inventory software and the stuff that is in the DB its almost always off... its BS. Everyone at this place is just allowed to walk in and take what they need to fix something and not even write it down or say anything. THIS WILL CHANGE!

Anyways, its my foot in the door to higher places. Went from laborer at $17/h to forklift driver @ $19 to this. I am going places baby. Supposedly sometime in the next year or two the head of inventory is retiring so I will probably get that along with the pay boost (if I am still in inventory). :)

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I never had any truck with those mmo's. They're a blatant waste of time, though I guess I did try Firefall out more recently, but it was more something to do while on long calls with mah gf. I hardly buy multiplayer games these days, at least not internet ones, and mostly confine myself to interesting single player games or neat little desktop games that I can play as a five minute break from something else.

Still don't have a job, so there goes the productive part of society thing.

Typically I don't do much gaming these days. I do spend a couple/few hours each day playing, but it's nothing I can't break from if I need to, which is good. Well unless I play Empires and I'm commanding anyway. What I do do a lot is post on forums, although it really depends. Empires coming up again has me posting on these forums a lot, though I guess I'm slowing down with that again.

Otherwise...well it's really annoying actually. I basically just pretend to write and not get anything done. It's like the only thing I can think of that could possibly pay off/help, and I'm doing shit all. Bleh. I should just die already >.> 30 years a waste of space :pathetic:

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

only option is find something that allows you to be equally compulsive about it ...

... or just stop being sad about it.

start with: stop thinking such things. you are responsible for your own happiness, noone else. there is no abstract higher meaning in life, only the meaning you give it yourself.
    if its a real depression you have, go to your doctor, get help - it works, im speaking out of my own experience - it might take a while, but you can be helped.
    never give up, never surrender. if you let yourself being dragged down by all those assholes out there, they won and we dont want them to win, do we?
    if anyone is a waste of space, its not people as nice and helpful as you.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Thanks flasche. I'm not really depressed just damn irritated with this state of affairs. I know I should be doing more, and I'm properly annoyed at myself that I'm not. Just makes me feel "gah" :p

13. flasche

make it your motivation - if it feels gah do something else. often just going outside and around the block is enought to change how you feel, even if nothing but your location on this planet changed. "to have a different perspective" isnt just a saying. but who am i to talk, not that id be free of bad feelings and capable to handle them at all times, god no :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I know what you mean, sometimes I do go for walks but it's very infrequent now. I probably need to join a few clubs or something, I get like no social interaction and that's usually what I like.

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Day 7, things are getting so desperate that i started to rewatch all episodes of Sliders.

Thanks for your advice guys, i will look around for a new hobby and
    getting a job, yep sounds like a good plan. I procastinate on getting a job while pretending to study, yet i don't get much done there as well. Terrible situation, hey Ikalx, lets suicide together?!

16. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I spent 5 months not playing video games or going on the internet at all. It sucked.

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yeah, no internet sucks.

You can do a lot of shit with a computer but with no internet, it gets really boring unless you can do creative things.

18. flasche

19. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

No you can't.

20. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Is this a joke?

I mean, it seems like a joke but I can't tell because nobody laughed.