Class-specific icons for friendly units on comm's minimap.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

One thing I've noticed is that, as a comm, it's usually a good idea to keep track of where all your engineers are at all times. Sometimes, an engineer will just happen to slip past the enemy lines into a key location -- they eject from a dying tank and nobody notices them, or whatever. Likewise, knowing whether the person headed for the enemy base is a grenadier, a scout, or an engineer can make a huge difference for a comm's strategy.

Being able to recognize this at a glance, without having to move the view over to the soldier to check, would be very helpful. So, how about making all the little icons on the comm's minimap show the ally's class, somehow? Admittedly, there isn't very much room on that tiny arrow to show it, but there are ways it could be done... a tiny colored speck in the center, a tiny icon or letter for the class type, whatever. If it takes up room on the minimap or is otherwise distracting, there could be a checkbox there to turn it on/off (since it isn't needed all the time), or it could only appear if the comm presses a key to pull up the 'large minimap', but overall I think it could be extremely useful for the comm to be able to check where all their engineers, in particular, are at a glance.

(Also, at the moment I don't think there's any easy way for the comm to check if the driver of a tank is an engineer -- is there? Aside from noting their name and cross-referencing it or something, which is a bother. It's certainly important to know if the guy in a tank can get out to build a foreward barracks or repair pad, say.)

2. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Stuff like this has been suggested already although I'm not sure Krenzo has given an official announcement of what hes doing about it.

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Bump. This should be implemented not just for the comm but for everyone. The arrows on the minimap should have a class specific touch to them. After building icons, this is a no-brainer.

4. Deiform

Deiform Member

I'm sure if someone is willing to make the icons one of the devs (read Brutos :P) might implement it for you.

5. Empty

Empty Member

The riflemans icon should be a bullet lololo

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The only one that really matters is engineer, though. Unless the comm is really, really carefully micromanaging instructions to the team (and who does that?), what they really care about is 'how close is an engineer to this spot? Is it safe for me to drop something here?' Etc.

7. o_O

o_O Member

Agreed that 'engi' and 'other' are really the only ones a comm needs to know. The minimap can be pretty cluttered so it would be hard to see anyway.