Class selection menu

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by manhunt0r, Jan 21, 2008.

1. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

whats wrong with this type of menu?(apart from being lazily shopped and only displaying the skill selection part)
    [​IMG]
    or how about this?
    [​IMG]
    seeing as how often i need to change class on most pub games i think the skill selection menu should be just a button push away, it would certainly allow less frustrating reequips on flags/baracks where that annoying little nuke heavy comes breathing down your neck and you need every second to reload your rpg or build up a ml

2. Dannyboy

Dannyboy Member

I like it.

3. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Not bad, though for this sort of a display I'd rather see the icons for everything smaller. Perhaps thumbnail-ish size. And class selection buttons instead of the drop down menu to make that aspect consistent with the rest.

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The main thing is, I would eliminate the drop-down for class. Those are annoying. Replace it with radio buttons or four small icons or whatever, just get rid of drop-down menus entirely... they're bad and annoying.

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

it's a great idea, but you have to understand when empires codes they have to take in account all screen resolutions

so they either need to be coded with a % (tricky) or with a pixel range equal to or smaller than 640x480. and to do that they'd have to make all the images (skill selection) smaller - which might not look as good.

but still a great idea.

6. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

dunno how it is in hl2 but in java its easy to to set the image scale, infact its always being set when you draw an image onto the screen, so if this is possible in hl2 one only needs to get the current resolution and use it as the key in a switch which is extremely easy and takes 30 minutes to code with an extremely slow typing speed and a 10 min pause included.

i agree with smaller icons, but im way to lazy to shop those

instead of radial i would rather see tabs, as carnifexx suggested once upon a time

also i think it wouldnt hurt to keep the current extra menus for weapons as we dont use them often but i can easily see them removed so that we would cycle through weapons with a click (cant see any harm in that with max 3 possible weapons for a slot)

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

#2 is just great !
    I really hate the d-d menu to choose everyone/class skills so I woudl be happy to see that in new patch :)

8. sickre

sickre Member

Yeh the screen needs redoing. It took me ages to figure out you could actually change weapons, and choose class specific skills.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

number 2 is REALLY good, I really dig this.

I also agree with the "decrease the size of skill icon" suggestion, that makes sense.

This is a great suggestion and I hope the dev team see it and take it seriously.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

totaly support this. Maybee if we make the icons half as wide as they are now we could save space

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Or we could just use tabs for General Skills & Class-Specific and make the people that have trouble clicking on dropdown boxes happy + there won't have to be a complete makeover of all the textures because every texture is a VTF which means it can't change sizes (well atleast not that I know of) unless you change the VTF size itself

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

VTF's can be scaled, how else would you be able to scale textures in hammer?