class redesign concept art

Discussion in 'General' started by Waffle Prime, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

feel free. steam name is same as forum. skype works too.

2. [R]eX

[R]eX Member

im sick of you noobs saying scouts suck, scouts win games one day im gonna fraps myself scouting and you will want to nerf scouts

3. Empty

Empty Member

I think it's more because you're in a pub game and you're a JPL vet...

4. zenarion

zenarion Member

The art you present isn't bad per se, OP.
    It just doesn't fit an FPS game with it's FPS mentality, where everyone thinks themselves a football player on steroids. Look at the replies you get on the forums. Everyone here sounds like we can kick your ass with our hands tied behind our back. That's the mentality. It's not the "TF2" mentality of a very abstract, and non-serious game.

Aside from this, you guys don't even know what you want.
    Half the community wants LOLJEEPWARZ RAINBOWROAD and the other half wants to play ArmA2 with a commander. Empires is somewhere in the middle. Stuck.

5. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

No offense, but I really hate that picture at the front of this thread. I can't take anything about this thread seriously whenever I look at it.

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Ah! A new day, a new 'how to fix the scout class' thread.

For my two cents, don't change the infantry models. I totally digs Valves philosophy of making classes immediately recognizable in TF2. Empires, however, is not TF2. TF2 is about turning your brain off and shooting cartoon characters. Empires is about using you noodle. And shooting people.

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

psst. hendar. Thats not what this is about...

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Can anyone say Lara Croft?

9. Empty

Empty Member

TF2 takes a lot more skill to play then your average empires round.

Aside from debating research and tank combat metagame the game has a pretty low skill cap, once you understand to follow attack orders, build tanks and place refs you're really just as good as 90% of the players.

10. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Oh I thought so too, and I mistakenly clicked on the topic. I was taken in by the wierd-ass picture and opening paragraphs. But quickly, the cunning devil revealed his true intentions:

The talk of character silhouettes and shit was just a ruse, a bluff, covering up the beginning of another scout skills/weapon discussion! He's a wily one, this Waffle Prime. I shall have to have my infogoblins watch him closely...

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Generally. I find I do well at TF2 by simply picking a class and pointing and shooting. Spys and Engi being obvious exceptions, but generally I find TF2 to not require much decision making, just FPS twitch skills. In Empires, I find myself thinking about the best way to attack the enemy, considering their weak-points on the map and such. The way TF used to be, perhaps, before TF2 made it a CP clusterfuck game....

Maybe it's because I've been playing TF style games since TF1, and its daddy Quake before it (and DooM before that!) I may not be the best Quake style deathmatcher in the world, but I 'grok' the style, so now it bores me. Empires gameplay is relatively new, and so more interesting to me I guess. I still feel I can learn something from it.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think thats the whole squad thingy hendar, mostly in tf2 if you are with more/appropreate class you win

ive seen squads of 3 to 4 kill barracks used by 3 to 4 squads just by means of supprise and tactics

13. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Fuck yeah. Seeing an enemy barracks go down makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Well duh, of course you have to point and shoot, that's how you kill people.
    But you still need to learn your weapons, learn your teammates, work together, learn the maps and a ton of other crap before you can compete on a higher level.

15. Waffle Prime

Waffle Prime Member

hmm info goblins... the part of my brain that still plays magic the gathering likes that for some reason. I'd say I'm a little more concerned about design than game play. But yea I felt a conversation about this weird off on his own loner class in a game that has team work based combat was warranted. I drew a picture in part to advertise it. You've found me out sir.

16. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Yeah, but you can learn all that shit and then not have to think much after that. Least I don't. I'm sure Empires will get like that for me too after a few hundred more hours. Like I said, I've been playing that style of game basically since Quake.

Besides, there's a difference between thinking and learning. You know those kids who always got 'A's in high school because they would just memorize everything, but then sucked at higher levels when they actually had to apply knowledge instead of just regurgitating it? In both TF2 and Empires I know all the weapons, classes, maps etc. I just find myself thinking more during an Empires match. But thats just me.

I'm not saying you're wrong Empty, it's just how I feel about these games.

17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Yeah, don't worry if you hear scurrying noises in your room at night. I have a whole platoon of those motherfuckers assigned to you now....

18. Empty

Empty Member

I don't see what there is to think about unless you're commanding.
    It's basically, build tank, find enemy refs, destroy, don't die.
    There are few tactics you can use to improve it.
    You can ram people or adjust your tank loadout to be more effective but really it's all about shooting crap, and there are no weapons which require special tactics to pull off, maybe dealing with Arc or leading a target, but nothing more than that.
    No knowing when to uber, knowing when to spin, airblasting at opportune times, knowing where to place a sentry (in empires you put it anywhere and upgrade it and you win) or predicting enemy tactics and movements.

19. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

To summarize: just do what seems the most logical at the time.

The answer to the first post is: no.

20. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It's just how I feel when playing these games dude. Some people find TF2 awesome and find Empires really boring. I wouldn't say they were wrong.