Cheaper vehicles

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by FalconX, Aug 5, 2006.

1. FalconX

FalconX Developer

As probably isn't surprising, with the high vehicle costs there are no longer so many huge tank battles. In order to bring them back, I've been making certain changes to vehicle related prices. The idea is to make all of the vehicles much cheaper, and compensate this by increasing the cost of research. The end result is that the overall res consumption has changed very little, but it is now much more feasable for a bunch of guys on each side to grab some tanks and have at eachother.

As of now, the costs for average, fully armored vehicles are roughly as follows:
    Jeeps- 70
    APCs- 400
    Light tanks- 404
    Med tanks- 570
    Heavy tanks- 820
    Artillery- 970
    Research cost has only been slightly increased.

2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

weight limits:

jeep - 500
    APC - 1400
    light tank - 1600
    Med tank - 1900
    heavy tank - 2500
    artillery - 1500

reasearch needs to be sped up, maybe decrease times of all reasearch by lik 20-30 secs.

(Removed Off Topic Stuff) Really, that's cute and all, but we're trying to have a serious discussion here about a topic many people have expressed interest in. Take it somewhere else. - Krenzo

sry

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Can someone post the current weight limits and prices for the vehicles for comparison?

Since Jeeps are a bit of an hot topic due to their current usefulllessness I think their price could go as down as 50 res for a working fully armored one. The prices FalconX posted seem good to me, but I reserve the right to change my answer once I see the current prices. :) Also I'd suggest that the price of the light tank should be the same as an APC, since they are very similiar in their usefullnes aspect.

4. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

well, id say speed the jeep up so that it can easierly dodge dumb missiles. and maybe give it 2 engine slots (???) so it can go fast. and yes, make it cheaper, i feel guilty every time i buy a jeep thats costs 160 when our team has 500....
    i go build stuff tho.
    also, maybe add a weak automated turret, for defense of the lone driver, not powerful enuf to kill easily, but just to suppress people.

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I definitly like it how you made the arty the most expensive.

I just hope these prices will make the tank battles bigger instead of turning the game into a stalemate. Teams would probly need a lot more teamwork to win, which is a good thing, but what im worried about is the NF light tanks. Still this is an awesome change and I cant wait :D, nice job FalconX

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Did FalconX actually change the costs?
    I think the current and proposed paper chassis should be placed in this thread. All the armours have different costs no?

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Prices are ok. But we don't know much about research times or prices for specific weapons. (BTW short range (2 small) arty owns just everything so price higher than heavy tank is good)

8. Imz

Imz Member

Current (1.071b) Vehicle Prices follow. the first number is an empty chassis, the second number is with standard engine, max number of plain armor plates, and standard weaponry.

Jeep: 60, 160
    APC: 100, 380-400
    Light Tank: 200, 460
    AFV: 200, 520 (more armor plates than light tank)
    Medium Tank: 400, 730
    Heavy Tank: 800, 1320
    Arty: 700, 930

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Sounds nifty :)

Weights need some tweaking too mind.

could you also post the total cost of research for the different chasis too? (including the cost for mechanical engineering and all the sub categories)

10. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I never buy an armored jeep. :p I'll make them cheaper though, I forgot what I was thinking when I altered their costs.

I didn't use standard equipment when calculating the costs. I used the average cost equipment of that category. So, average cost armor, average cost cannon, etc.

Give me a second and I'll post empty chassis costs, and the cost of research. I'll start in on weights after a little more price tweaking, but suggestions in that area are welcome.
    ------------EDIT---------------------
    Again, I really only took a cursory glance at research, so don't be surprised if numbers seem suspiciously similar.

Code:
    (Empty) Chassis                Research (cost, time)
    Jeep- NF-30 BE-20                        -
    APC- 100                                 -
    Light: NF-120 BE-100                        -
    Med- 200                          1350, 270s
    Heavy: NF-270 BE-350           2600, 390s
    Arty- 670                          2100, 390s
    Could someone confirm how useful 2 small arty cannons are, so I can adjust some of those costs accordingly?

If you really wanted to waste money you could still get a pretty expensive armored jeep, but you can get one that works for 30 or 40 res.

knighttemplar: What are you asking?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

FalconX: change the vehicles prices but don't change research prices and times that much. BSID vs GK showed that we almost don't have any vehicles (no time for research) now. 270 for Med tank is too long. My proposition:

Med 180 1350
    heavy 270 2000
    arty 270 2500

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

BSID vs GK is just one match and definitly not one to judge the gameplay on.

13. Deiform

Deiform Member

True, if from what my imagination and past experience has told me, dizzy would've gone biology > Regen, then maybe Elec > Advanced Magnet > Phase 3, and the others would've built 3-5 outposts in that time, allowing them to get a strong base resource output where a light tank rush/AFV maybe would've destroyed the base.

If the opposite team had managed to defend it, then there would have been plenty of time for extra research, you just need to hold off the first wave and then fight back with some meds.

Or maybe....that's not what happened at all o_0

14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

place all the current prices for chassis in a column, then place all the proposed changes in a column beside it.
    We might need to so the same for all the armour, weapons and engines, as some chassis can't use all the weapons for instance.

To be honest, i don't even know. I'm sorry, something evil inside me likes spreadsheets.

15. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

I believe they should just slash some of the armor prices, they're the biggest factor in unit cost.

16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

all i ask is that you dont mess with weights too much, i like them as is.

17. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

dizzyone: if something happens from the start of the game you don't even have money to buy radar. There are some maps where half of the map (usually taken on start) won't give you enough resources to buy anything that would allow you to take more.

Anyway such long research times are bad. NF has light tanks and BE has almost nothing.

18. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

yea i find myself joining NF just because they have tanks so early, and no offense, but AFVs suck.

19. Simon

Simon Banned

AFVs rule once you get an armor. They could do with being able to aim a bit lower.

20. Bisclaveret

Bisclaveret Member

2x SRA is my claim to fame, and usually what i use when i use artillery (unless we're up against a lvl3 turret farm, where it easily outranges and doesn't do enough damage).

The key for 2 short range is to space out your shots, and have a decent cooling engine. It's devastating when i time my shots, because it works just like a 20 round MLRS from Desert Combat, ie, a constant rain of shells every 2-3 seconds.

edit: You folks *DO* realize you can put your turrets on different keys, right? i can't tell you how many times i've seen short range arty, or tanks, that blow thier 2-3 shells at the same time. Take it from an old player, but a heavy tank with all it's cannon bound to 1st group LMB is never going to hit anything with all the cannon, MAYBE the first :/

TBH, the damage from each shot isn't all that great, but when you have a constant, consistant rain every few seconds thanks to the dual-cycling of the reload (until you run out of your current clip) the damage stacks up in a short time against stationary targets, and at times, tank battles, since you don't have to constantly re-aim like you would from a cannon and all you care about is splash damage.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006