Changes to mortar and spotting

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Pasimon, May 15, 2007.

1. Pasimon

Pasimon Member

I think it would emphasize the mortars purpose a bit more and also add more fun-factor to the game, if mortar would be changed a bit.

Suggested changes are:

Mortar can only be taken out when in crouch and while deployed you cant move. So when you want to move you have to change weapon again.

When using mortar, visible arc would appear displaying the line what the shell will travel. So you can see where it lands. This would differientate mortar from other weapons more and would make it more usefull.

Also there would be minimun angle where you can fire it. So you couldnt use it as it used now, making direct hits with very low angle. So the bazooka and mortar would have their unique role in the field.

Two different types of ammo, one aimed for vehicles and one aimed for infantry, could be fired with mouse buttons.

And the last one, I know this is a long shot, but anyhow...The image that the shell sees would be transferred to players HUD in a small window ( As in Dystopia or ES). This would solve the bottom issue with the mortar, you cannot normally tell if you are hitting anything, so it feels that you are doing it in vain.

When you would get the live-feed,you would know,if you need to readjust you aiming, or perhaps to change the shell type.

I also suggest that when scout spots targets they get a visible line from the sky, so it would be actually possible tell, where do you need to point the mortar. And of course if spotted target is enemy, the line would follow the target.

I believe that this new mortar and spotting system woud make mortar more unique and becose it would be faster and more user-friendly to use, we could actually see that scout targets would receive mortar fire.

I do expect that this thread gets many replies saying, that the current system is fine, and it just needs skill to use it and there is no need for something like this.

But before you say that, think about how many newbies actually even know how to work together as a grenadier and scout, this new system, would make it so clear, that when you just deploy mortar and fire a shot, you would immediatly know how it works and I see that it would also be more fun to use.

Artilly could also use the new aiming system.

Any thoughts?

2. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

So basically... you want to nerf dubee, arklansman, bob the builder, shinzon, and me.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Here's one. ;)

Sounds like you just wanna make the grenadier even more screwed against roffleman than they already are.

Does the smoke trail not help you enough?

A line works better than a diamond how?

The mortar is not as difficult to grasp as it may seem, it just requires a bit more practice than the ZOMG POINT CLICK DEAD assault rifles.

4. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Step away from the mortar- it's great as it is now, not too great, but just great!

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

yeah the grenadier class is basically the only class that is JUST PLAIN PERFECT! :D

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

hand me my golden motawr bong

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Then you have never played against a good Grenadier... A good grenadier uses the mortar exclusivley, being able to pop engineers from behind their turrets, as well as go toe to toe with rifleman (The rifleman can by any skill, but you have to be top of your game)

The mortar is my favorite weapon in the game, im usualy only grenadier on flag maps, and I do just as well as any other player, if not better...

By proposing that you will be nerfing a class to something nearly useless...

*Gives Dubee a golden mowtar bong* Puff n Pass please...

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Aren't some of his suggestions actually to-be-implemented by the dev team, like requiring deployment for mortar?

9. Slithzerikai

Yes, and a good rifleman can get 200 kills without dying. The mortar takes some skill to use it like that, and because some people have skill the weapon needs to be nerfed? Then every other weapon needs to be nerfed too.

Hell, let's toss down those cheating guns and all fight eachother with sticks and rocks.

10. Pasimon

Pasimon Member

"A line works better than a diamond how?"

You can tell the distance from line coming from the sky, you cannot tell this from a diamond, it is very hard to estimate the distance from the size of a diamond.

"Does the smoke trail not help you enough?"

Visible line would be needed becose of the reasons stated below.

I am not trying to nerf the mortar, but to make it behave more as its own type of weapon instead of bazooka with an arc. So there would be more variety in weapons. If weapons "nerfiness" is measured by how many frags you can get with it, this way this could even buff the mortar.

Currently mortar its used almost as same as bazooka and I would like to change it so, that it would be used to provide indirect fire, so you could get frags even if wouldnt see the enemy, by using scouts spot ability.

I was thinking again that camera-in-the-shell-thing, and realized that it would be more rewarding, if you could observe when all shells are hitting the ground, this you coulndt do with camera in the shell.

So instead of that, I suggest that scouts spots a target, grenadier ( and artillery) would get a live feed from target, where the camera would be placed about 30-40m above the ground facing directly to the ground, and this image would be then transferred to grenadiers HUD (and artillery).

And then grenadier would see the arc leaving from the deployd mortar also in the small picture in the HUD, so he could actually aim by using scouts spotted target (artillery also).

Also what would increase the cool-factor would be, that when you deploy your mortar to near of an already deployd mortar, you would get increased firing rate. (same benefit to artillery also)

By implementing these suggestions I believe...

..the mortar weapon would be changed from a copy of bazooka to its own kind of weapon.

..spotting targets would actually be usefull and important part of the game.

..you could see group of mortars/arties raining shells together to the enemy positions

11. Slithzerikai

And none of the people that can use the mortar need those changes, solution:

Learn to use the mortar.

12. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I'm noticing a trend here of people becoming very eliteist.
    Don't just scream ZOMG ITS GOOD AS IT IS NOW DONT CHANGE, try to give constructive criticism on his points, so that he can improve the idea. He had some good ideas, but you just single out a bad one and shoot him down, for the most part. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
    One of the reasons the community is so small is because people just get ostracised. Fix plzthxbai.

13. Caelo

Caelo Member

Well Im just curious how the following is any different from the spot and map system we have now..
    " I suggest that scouts spots a target, grenadier would get a live feed from target, where the camera would be placed about 30-40m above the ground facing directly to the ground, and this image would be then transferred to grenadiers HUD "
    I mean if someone spots a target it will show up on the map.. if the grenadier fires a shell and has the feedback skill it will show on the map where the shell hit the ground so....

14. Pasimon

Pasimon Member

Caelo, you are right that the spotting system (this was just one suggestion) wouldnt bring new feature to the game, BUT it would make an already existing feature more usefull, easier to use and this would in the other hand encourage scouts to spot and grenadiers to response to to scouts request.

Currently if you have the artillery feedback skill, the only feedback (response) is small icon on the map for a short period of time. The game doesnt offer you a reward for answering the scouts call.

I have attached a picture which shows how I picture the spotting system could work.

Lower left corner, is the scouts target, and the aiming arc from the mortar, for simplicity sake, the arc would always come from the "south" in the picture.

Now you would see, about the same that the scouts sees and by looking at the picture you would see your shells pounding the enemy, which is more rewarding then an icon on minimap. And you could adjust you aiming mortar and watching how the landing point of the arc changes on the picture.

Attached Files:

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

basically, this is changing the mortar to an actual mortar type weapon.

which isn't a bad thing. but certainly, the current mortar shouldn't be removed. it's too much fun.

but i see this as a possibility of a deployable, carriably by the grenadier. when it is deployed, any class can man it, but can only use as much ammo as the grenadier places beside it from his personal stash.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

maybe if you took this idea and added HE shells to it.. cause i think its too much work to shoot such a weak shell

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

I can tell the distance just fine.

That's the strangest thing I have ever heard, the only similarities they share are the fact that they fire exploding projectiles and the gren gets both of them. So, by your logic, are all bullet based weapons are the same?

1.071 HE arty shell XD

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

ok i can agree that the motar is similar to the bazooka in DOD:S but as far as indirect fire.. its already capable of that.. you know how many times i've killed turrets or people from across the map.. sometimes i will just shoot a random shell and it will kill someone

and as for that line to show were the shell will land i dont think its nessecary at all .. you need to just get use to current crosshair system

shoot a shell and see where it lands and then go from there

19. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Maybe use his idea, but make the mortar do twice as much damage and be selectable between the old mortar? This would probably be better on larger maps, but the deployment time/being stuck while shooting to fire such a weak shell is not worth it at all.

20. Pasimon

Pasimon Member

It could of course work so, that the current mortar stays the same, and when you deploy it you get the image etc...This way nobody wouldnt lose anything, but the easy-to-use in-direct fire would still be added.

I agree that when used in the deploy-mode that damage should be increased and also perhaps the firing rate too.

This could also be done by introducing totally new weapon, Heavy mortar, but not to make things too complicated I think it would be better to add the deploy ability to the current mortar.

The line system is not necessary, and yes it would make it easier to use, some may think this is a bad idea since its not hard.

The benefit from adding the visible line would be that when you are looking at the picture from the scouts targets and you can see enemies running there, you also see the arc there sweeping over the enemies, these would certainly increase the cool factor.

Last but not the least is that, without the visible line, it is much slower to use the mortar, since first you have locate the scouts target and succesfully land your shell there and only after that you can start to adjust your aim.

But with the visible aiming line this would be much faster, since as soon as scout has spotted the target, you can start firing to that position using the the visible line in the HUD to get to the overall location and then the picture in the HUD to get the accurate position.

I believe that it would sometimes take even take couple shots (shooting area with no line of sight), before you are able land the shell in the targets area, and during that time the enemy could have already moved .

The faster the cooperation between scout and grenadier the better, right?

And the line would make it faster.