Change Tech Tree and Skill Names.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zygoth, Feb 13, 2011.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

HIT is just a lame excuse for its small explosion radius. that was a discussion long ago. it was a nuke, is a nuke and will always be a nuke no matter how you call it. and if its called rainbowmissileoflove it will still be called nuke by everyone.
    its quite pointless and new players might not necessarily understand what the hell we are talking about.

2. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I know everybody calls it nukes(even I do).

It is just that it makes no sense...

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ofc you do since everyone else calls it that way (because it was once called like that) and language only makes sense if you agree on the same terms :D

weapons should be named like they are called why enforce something arbitrary onto us?

4. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Huh, where did I suggest renaming all of the weapons(atleast, if that is what you are implying)?

All I am suggesting is changing some of the descriptions and changing the Biology tree name to Biotechnology and Nanotechnology for NF and BE respectively becomes it makes more sense from a storyline perpsective.

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Why change it? It only makes it harder for new people to learn the research tree, I mean if a thing does the same for both teams, it's the same thing.

Take cod for example, should we call the helicopter call in a helicopter at one team and a hoverbeam for the other? I don't try to be anti the suggestion but it seems like it would just make it harder for people to learn the research tree.

6. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

no one reads the manual anyways. and who cares about that realism bullshit; what's more important is gameplay. if you want to make everything in empires make sense, make the mortar like a mortar team, remove health regeneration, disallow getting hp from a fucking box, etc...

also, redone textures is something you always see, it's in your HUD, and you can be like oooh pretty graphics. changing some text in an arbitrary submenu in the commander research interface does nothing to further gameplay, and as i said, no one ever bothers to read the fucking descriptions.

and yes, lordz pretty much emphasized what i said. it's needlessly confusing and contributes basically nothing at all to gameplay.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

inb4 "tech tree is getting redone"

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

tech tree is getting redone at some point etc etc blah blah

9. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

If people are retards they shouldn't be commanding in the first place. ;)

I don't see how this has anything to do with what I said, I am not argueing for realism, I am argueing for adding flavour to the game by aligning the descriptions to the story.

Also, as I said earlier, if a person is a noob or a retard then he/she should probrally not be commanding.

Then I guess this(or something similar) is probrally already going to be implemented.(Lock thread?)

10. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

probrally?
    it's probably

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

oh great noobs shouldn't EVER comm anymore. shits gonna happen when our 7 mainstream comms don't play.

12. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Typos happen.

:rolleyes: Because again, that was obviously what I was implying.

Again, this is why I propose a small in game manual(a sort of in game wiki describing the tech tree, buildings, weapons, armors, engines, ect., maybe just a link to the empireswiki will work too).

A small tutorial for the commander would work too(placing some structures and doing some research with NPCs constructing the buildings).

13. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

No One Reads The Fucking Manual Nor The Wiki And Even If They Did The Wiki Is Horrendously Outdated

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

especially the most important thing of all - the weapon to armor damage index - which is the most fundamental thing comms should know before comming. It's currently at 2.24d I think.

15. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

tl;dr
    Do it along the translation stuff. It doesn't really add to gameplay, but BE using Bio weapons always bugged me.

16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

hell i don't even know the weapon to damage index, i just guess

17. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

So you're saying that everyone that is new to a game is a retard? Because this is what it will make every new player in the game, a complete retard as he needs to learn the research tree twice.

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

biotechnology and nanotechnology sound cool as hell.

I like the idea of different names to reflect the lol lore. It makes me feel like there is more at stake and that this is serious business.

I'm all for changing names of research where applicable.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in the 60s

20. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

... No.

New players are not retards, new players are noobs(to some extend).

If you are new to the game(with new meaning that you haven't learned of all skills, vehicles, armors, weapons, engines, ect. yet) then it may be better not to command.

Its very easy to go to the empires wiki and look up the tech tree; its very useful for when commanding.