Cancer cured?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Aeoneth, May 15, 2011.

1. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

This has as much credibility as a site that advertises

"Publish easily
    Attract readers
    Earn rewards

Lol, the OP has a serious misunderstanding of the process of glycolysis

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

This was posted 4 years ago...

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Is it even possible to cure cancer?
    I mean, cancer is uncontrolled cell growth, right? How can you prevent that?

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

By controlling it.

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Works somehow but requires huge doses which are toxic, also seems to work only some kinds of cancer cells.
    Read more: http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/onc2011113a.html.

Some more stuff on reddit.

Also the article you linked is written by someone who doesnt understand biology at all, the mitochondria part destroyed my wtfmeter.

About fighting cancer, Hamster is somewhat right but uselessly so, the problem is that cancer is the name for uncontrolled growth, it doesnt take into account why a cell is doing that. Thats the real issue, there are so many steps in the lifecycle of a cell where something could go wrong, each of those would be a different one that you have to treat seperatly but all of those could result into uncontrolled growth.

DNA transcription alone probably has houndreds of things that could go wrong.

Thats why fighting cancer is so hard.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Cancer is a category.

There are many types of cancer. Treating each kind is a different battle.

Most anti-cancer drugs work by targeting DNA synthesis, which kills off fast growing cells. This includes hair and nails, which is why people on cancer treatment lose their hair and such. The Cancerous cells are also fast growing, and also take up the drug.

Quite a few cancer drugs work on much the same principal as mustard gas.

Their therapeutic index is quite low, down around 2 from memory. That's the amount you take for a beneficial result, as opposed to say, death. For comparison, Alcohol is 10, and Marijuana is 100.

I am procrastinating writing a report for medicinal chemistry.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Replace all your cells with robots.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

With microbots that go pew pew with lasers (courtesy of Empty) that destroy cells.

10. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Omg I Saw That In A Movie Once

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

One does not simply cure cancer into mordor.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

CANCER DOES NOT SIMPLY MULTIPLY ITSELF INTO MORDOR.

<caps>

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No with big robots.

Basically make yourself into a 200ft tall robot made out of smaller but still moderately sized robots.

14. Zeke

Zeke Banned

http://youtu.be/7mbqeIAt67A#t=2m16s

15. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

we cannot cure cancer. and we will not come close anytime soon. the reason is that cancer occurs with mutations, and notice i use plural for mutations. a terminal lung cancer patient accumulates approximately 10,000 mutations in a single cell. no drug or treatment in the world would correct that many mutations in the DNA. granted, that most of the DNA in our cell is useless, 10,00 is still a lot.

you can target certain pathways, if the pathway is known. we can cure specific cancer types. thats what scientists usually try to do, they find the initial pathways that lead to cancer.. meaning the genes that keep cancer down and genes that make cancer cells (i dont remember the terms specifically, i think its suppressors and proto-oncogenes) are off and on respectively.

it is like HIV.. you can't kill HIV because the virus integrates itself into the host cell's genome. basically they can hide in a cell for months or even years and come back, thats why HIV is incurable. you can take drugs that will kill all the viruses that are actively reproducing in the host cells by inhibiting their reproductive pathways. the HIV lab that is next to the lab im working in, is researching ways to activate HIV that are hidden in cells so that they can be killed to cure people of HIV.

anyways, cancer is mother nature's card to make sure human population is kept in check.. that and making scary viruses like HIV and bacteria like MRSA. scary shit.

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Curing isnt always necassairy.
    There is a second option, replacement.
    it's only a matter of time (a long time probably though) before we ditch our natural human shells and either dwelve into cybernetics or into controlled bio engineering...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    note: the belgian blue bull has a mutated gene and has been breed through selective breeding to create a larger population of it... but what happends when we can alter animals and our own genes as we please?

What happends when someone develops a cheap effective body/mind enhancing drug without side effects that almost anyone can afford?
    similar to vitamin or diet pills and similar stuff nowdays.
    Would you NOT use it in your diet?

Cosmetic surgery and organ replacement (from donors though and not artificial ones) is already occuring all the time.

So yea, fuck cancer research and fix some artificial stuff instead.

Cancer in your lung? well too bad, here, have a new one.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  17. OuNin

OuNin Member

then i can be like kawaii ghost in the shell cyborgs

18. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

growing organs. your gonna need stem cells and DNA that is obtained from right after birth, since that's probably when you have the least amount of mutations in your DNA.. hell if possible, it should be obtained when your still in your womb

also.. i assume that people who are born with a predisposition to cancer is fucked? for example, there are people who a born with a defective copy of retinoblastoma (Rb) gene, which apparently is important in your eyes. you need to have 2 messed up copies of this Rb to get cancer in your eye. those people who are borned with one defective gene is screwed.

artificial organs... it has to last like 100-200+ years and must be powered somehow and not be toxic and leech out into your blood. basically, you have to get rid of the human body to be free of cancer. i think the hardest part is your brain. since there are no CPU powerful enough to house the human mind. its just so complicated with all the neurotransmitters and neurons reconfiguring itself to establish or lose connections with other neurons.

honestly, i would not mind being immortal.. but if everyone has immortality.. itll suck. *goes and grab dragon radar*

19. Zeke

Zeke Banned

i call it natural selection.

the brain is a hard part...
    But the other organs DEFINETLY dont need to last 100+ years.
    The organ is already replaced once, just repeat the process.
    Ofcourse a semi-long lifespan is needed.
    but 50 years is good enough.
    15+ years is good enough lifespan for todays society as a measurement against medical problems. (like for instance if a person gets cancer in the heart)
    and ofc, parts grown out of DNA (and not mechanically) work just like normal organs.

immortality? neat.
    however it would most likely just lead to that the person suicide.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id suicide when the time is right

also, you dont need stem cells from yourself, just take a stem cell from anyone, empty it and fill it with your dna