bull shit wiki link?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SAUNDERS77, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I'm not gonna lie, If you get annoyed at not getting the help you wanted right away, empires isn't for you, you lack the rage tolerance that's a pre-req.

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I will go through and make appropriate updates today, as I most often tend to the mapping sections of the wiki. The issue is not entirely clear, probably because Saunders' posts are hardly legible. It seems that Saunders is unable to create a trigger_multiple. I believe I know exactly why.

Saunders, you first need to understand that there are 3 types of entities in the Source engine. There are point entities, model entities, and brush-based entities. You'll notice that the entity index on the wiki categorizes each Empires entity into these sections.

A point entity would be something along the lines of emp_info_params, light_environment, or in your case, an emp_vehicle_preset or emp_vehicle_spawner entity. These are referred to as point entities because they are simply represented by a single point somewhere along the XYZ planes of the Hammer grid. There are also other reason why they are point entities, but those reasons are irrelevant for your purposes.

A model entity would be something like an emp_building_imp_barracks or an emp_building_nf_radar - essentially an entity that is represented by a model, with functions and properties that pertain to that model.

A brush-based entity is something that newer mappers often forget about, or aren't aware of. They're called brush-based entities because you create a brush in the world, then you right-click on it from one of the three grid viewing panes in the Hammer, select Tie to Entity, and then choose the entity from the available drop-down. Brush-based entities will never show up in the list of point entities and model entities, because they require creation of a brush or group of brushes. All types of triggers are always brush-based entities (because they have to have some kind of volume in the world so that objects or clients can pass through and trigger them).

So create a brush or group of brushes, select them and right-click, choose Tie to Entity and then choose the entity type from the drop-down.

However, you could also use a func_button in order to trigger the emp_vehicle_spawner entities - this would help you avoid some of the annoying anomalies that can occur with using a trigger_multiple. Trust me, I know from experience in developing Empires Cup. The emp_vehicle_spawner entities will be where the vehicles spawn, the presets can be placed anywhere (though I would choose a sensible location so that they're all in one place if you need to find them when moving around in Hammer).

For the record, threads like this belong in the Mapping forum. I rarely look in the Tech Support forum, so it's pure luck that I happened to see this to be able to help you. -Can a moderator move this to the Mapping forum in case other mappers encounter this nuance?

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

My apologies for giving you a map with a working vehicle spawner in it for you to examine. Obviously i'm no help at all.

You never posted what your main issue was, or what steps in the directions were causing you to fail at making the vehicle spawner. As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with the wiki.

For the record, I was enraged by the lack of any manners in your first post, but helped you anyways cause I'm a nice person. I didn't try to troll you. If the link for the map doesn't work anymore, I'll be glad to reupload it. You just need to get over yourself and ask nicely.

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

make a front page workspace page, make the changes you want, and one of us (Brutos or me) will copy it onto the front page. Easy

5. Theowningone

I call making the front page! I've been waiting to do this for about a month now.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I DID THAT LONG AGO! check my page. Somone said they would look at it and nothing happened.

edit: seems it might have been brutos who was to do it but didn't.
    I think I have more I want to do to it now that I have had some time to step back and think about the way I would like to see it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. Theowningone

I showed it to Kylegar and he said he didn't want to use it because it was to cluttered. D:

8. ViroMan

well at least implement the link changes I put in there... geez.

Anyways.. I prefer a little more tightly arranged rather then something that is unnecessarily long and winded looking.

9. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

ViroMan, your page is way to cluttered, and it doesn't look as good as the current front page. Using whitespace isn't bad, as long as the things that the everyday player is at the top.

Also, if you guys can't access the code to the front page to work off of, I can post it.

Two columns of links is good. 4 is just too horizontally cluttered. There are very very very few websites that look good with 2+ columns. The eye doesn't like it

10. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

That rationale is laughable at best. I think we can do better than both of those options, although I prefer ViroMan's use of space.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  11. ViroMan

ok.. so my page is cluttered... what about updating the links I put in there...

add these:
    Join Us
    Developer Team
    The Story
    and remove the download link under links because that don't work anymore.

get glasses or better ones.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Fixed links. Join us and Developer team are out of date, and they are on the front page.

13. ViroMan

"Join us" and "Developer team" are NOT linked to anything except MY page.

See for yourself what links here

Developer team may be outdated but 10 mins could make it updated by anyone who knows some details such as yourself.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

15. SAUNDERS77

SAUNDERS77 Member

Well man its ok i will make due with th info thats there now, I will just do my own thing as i always have but thanks for the offer anyways man.

16. ViroMan

ahh I see what you meant now... so we are getting rid of wiki then? I thought we were placing info into wiki not taking it out.