Building smoke fix

Discussion in 'Art' started by Empty, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It is a little difficult to become a successful games developer without it. As the producer and the leads would be the people in charge of recruitment, and they are by definition highly skilled individuals, it follows that the must possess at least a modicum of intelligence in order to be so.

2. Empty

Empty Member

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Activision is a publisher more than anything, I did not say publisher, I said developer, as in a development studio.

The publisher is a business expert, they do the marketing and the funding and the distribution, the developers ask for money from the publisher and use it to make the game, the publishers don't make the game and as such do not require good knowledge of how to make games, or the intelligence required to have those skills.

Although judging from that thread he seems to be quite intelligent too, he's spot on with the comment about repeatable franchises and new games, fifa, toca, gran turismo, and movie licenses make the money so that it can be wasted on experimental games which probably won't work very well, or just spent on more fifa games if you're a more profiteering sort.

Development studios only get up to about half way down this system: http://dictionary.die.net/snafu principle because they are composed of people who make games, and therefore all the people there are skilled game developers.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. Demented

Demented Member

It's a simplistic attitude, but, generally, it is true that you'll find the more intelligent people at the top and the least intelligent people at the bottom.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Certainly in any technical group of people, and game development is highly technical. Less so in anything highly delegative, like a big business, because of the aforementioned communication issues, it is perhaps not so much that the people at the top are stupid, but that the stupidity adds up the more levels of people you have to go through.

Game developers all usually report to their leads, and their leads report to the producer, and the producer runs the show, and everyone knows what's what so there is less simplification needed because the person next up the chain knows more business than technical stuff. The leads would probably know more than most other people in the company and the producer needs to know everything because he has to work with everyone.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  6. thetim

thetim Member

Yep, I quite agree. If you hire someone, you expect their input based on their skills, experience and their individual point of view. That's fine. Hiring yes-men is good for the ego, but not good for the product.

However, the people you don't piss off are the people that hire you twice, or help you out later. Wisdom lies in knowing how to express an opinion in a non-inflammatory manner, regardless of what you think of the view of the person you are addressing. Saying "I'm the expert, therefore you know nothing," is not only presumptuous and logically flawed, it will needlessly turn people against you. Down the line, when you need their particular expertise, they won't be forthcoming. It's human nature.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Considering I also defer to the expertise of other people I fail to see why. If it comes down to making a good game and pandering to the ego of people who aren't intelligent enough to know the limits of their knowledge I will choose the former.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Alright take it elsewhere.
    Fire here, not arguments.