[building] - camouflage net

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Tama, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Very simple building; approximately the size of an armory and a bit higher than a prone soldier, this building does absolutely nothing, has no collision box, and disappears after 60 seconds.

Inspired by the tactic of recycling an NF wall and then proning inside it. You can still be targeted from command view and with cameras etc., so this building would be just the same as recycling an NF wall, except it's a bit bigger and stays for a lot longer.

This building can be constructed by the scout, using his calculator (which also does sabotage).

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Seems useful... I'm doubtful whether a timer is the right way to go, how about let a scout only have 1 out at any one time. Then they have to remove the old one before placing a new one. Like engineers do with cameras.

Also, how would one look? And wouldn't multiple materials be needed for different environments? City, grassland, snow, desert?

I can see a grassland camo net working with just branches of leaves piled up, but I have no idea in desert... Maybe just netting and panels in different colours.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

only if i get a campfire with my tent.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Neat idea I suppose, but I wonder how big it is. Honestly on a bunch of maps infantry can kinda blend in nicely into the background, it's amazing how far you can sneak as a rifle or something. I just feel like this building thing isn't going to blend in very well so it'll just alert people that's something there. Of course there's also merit in using it as a distraction...

Actually on that front if scout had calc it would be awesome if he can place a decoy of some sort, like a fake turret or even a fake infantry guy. DISTRACTIONS.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

cant say i see how this would be useful though

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

im going to agree with zoom. this also seems to be dependent as well as be made for people using the scout rifle (which is useless right now and is losing the vote to be kept in the game)

i also dont like the idea of giving every class a calculator for the reasons i pointed out in that last topic and i assume most people aren't for it either

7. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

The reason you gave is: "It seems very unintuitive and confusing to learn what class can do which kind of calculator skill"
    I don't intend to give the calculator different skills for different classes, because I agree that that would be confusing. Calculator should do everything it currently does, but be available to all classes. However, you still can't revive unless you get revive, can't defuse mines unless you have defusal (which is gren-only), etc. That way, it's always either tied to a visible skill, or you always have it.

Having different things placeable by different classes, however, is a completely different matter, and seems extremely intuitive, since it's also visible in the build menu.

Engineers: Walls & Turrets
    Riflemen: Ammo boxes
    Scouts: Camera / Radar, Camo net
    Grenadier: ???

I was going to make it just like ammoboxes, there's a timeout between placing them that also ensures you can only possibly have one at a time. I think it could be very useful when you're attacking a base; especially if you don't happen to have an engineer to drop walls. I didn't really envision it as actually blending in or being hidden; the point is, just like with recycled walls, that the enemy can't aim at you as easily. It would be nice though, if it assumed the texture of the ground and added to that or something, to make it somewhat hidden. However, even a big gray blob would be useful.

8. VulcanStorm

Of course, the problem with camo netting, is getting it to match the floor colour... Unless it was a refractive material, which would then blur everything in it, and assume the colours of whatever was behind it...

@Tama How about a refraction barrier then? I know it's going a bit sci-fi, but a sphere or a plane with a refractive material on it, so it blurs everything behind it.
    Although you it may only have to refract 1 way... Otherwise you couldn't see through it...

If the purpose of it is to just block LOS, then how about a flare beacon place-able thing. Something that emits smoke, possibly a lot of it to cloud vision, and that smoke then acts as a screen?

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I think I would only use this in a 'griefy' manner. Just go place one near rax/armory, reselect class, repeat. Similarly, would attempt to get my whole squad to make lulzy camo forts. Similar to smoke grenades.

I'm conflicted on this one. On the one hand, it puts scout slightly more in a position to be a second support class (instead of being a useless piece of garbage unless you want to yell at your squad for extended periods of time). On the other, completely against giving each class a calculator. Can't we just have a skill button to activate each class' skill, without having to give them a device? Lots of games do it, ya know.

10. flasche

yeah he gren spam without first finding an engi to drop a box. you gonna love it ...

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Chinese Bunker[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

god i miss playing that game with my friends.

i miss my best friend

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'd much rather decoys of some sort then cover that doesn't protect you from anything, one mortar and dead ya know? I must have had a brain fart and forgot about grens and mortars, they would simply nullify the existence of camo net. It would just call to them saying "Toss a mortar in my direction big guy, you know you wanna."

15. flasche

16. VulcanStorm

Now this... This i like... This is exactly how it will be in empires. Could be worth a lot of laughs in spec if we had a commentator though...