Buff squad armor and squad damage

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah I'm just spitballing... I mean, if the threads there and it sparks and idea, mayaswell put it down.

I don't think anyone would be against this idea, but I guess if we're being serious about it, we'd look at the current values closely and suggest a good new value. Or suggest average values based on the current implementation, like 2x as effective or 3x etc.

Example: If armor is at 30% now, do we want to see 60% or 80%?
    If damage is at 40% now, do we really want to see 80%? Or is that too high?

Does anyone actually know the actual/relative values? :p

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I think armor is around 25% and damage feels around 20%, but we'd need a coder to look up the precise values.

I'd bump armor up to 40%~ and damage to 33%~ to see how viable those become.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think it would be fine to up damage up to 50% or possibly higher, but only if it affected bullet type weapons. As in not grenades and mortars and so on.

Armor at 40% sounds good to me.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If that's the case, I'd bump armor to 45% and have it last 70 seconds and change its rank points to 5. Change charge! to 2 rank points and last 40 seconds - enough time to cross a whole map sprinting actually.

Damage, I agree should be about 33%, but lower its rank points to 3. Duration maybe 45 seconds.

Edit: It's kind of difficult. I want to push the values when I think of normal command maps, but for smaller infantry based ones I can imagine things getting difficult.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. Lazybum

A full minute? That's quite a long time.

Charge sounds nice, I still think sprinting should be a free action.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'd just tweak values for now, tweaking too much might cause too much imbalance.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

1: Rifleman squad lead activate squad power.
    2: Give the lead back to engi.
    3: ???
    4: Profit.

My idea is that we bump armor up for 10%, damage up for 8%. Don't touch the time.
    Let's not go "all-in" and accidentally fuck something up like scripts.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I guess. I just get lazy when I see changes not happening over 6 years :p

What are the times anyway?

9. Lazybum

Every thing is 30 seconds that isn't an instant action.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

To be honest, the only real times I've seen charge and armor used have been on infantry maps, and usually...it takes about 5 seconds for people to realise it's on, and a bunch of people aren't really in the right place to use it.

Damage I just don't see used.

I always thought the thing about those powers were they're not really designed to be used outside of infantry maps, with the exception of damage. Anyone who uses armor is just wasting points better spent on a heal or a revive.

But when you try to buff those skills so they're useful on a real Empires map, they become OP on infantry maps.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

There's nothing more OP than squad revive/heal on infantry map, even after this potential buff.

Current they are extremely underused because the effects aren't very noticeable.
    Not to mention that all weapons now basically can kill you within 1 sec.
    With everything dealing tons of damage, that slight damage buff is just pointless.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm confused. You wanted less of a buff than most of us...but you still say it's useless. I'm confused.

Also I was thinking more about explosive weapons than infantry ones. Unless damage just affects bullets, in which case it's completely useless since...it can only be overpowered or useless.

13. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It won't be useless.
    I am just saying there's nothing more OP than squad revive.

Our current squad armor and squad damage are pretty much being "covered" by the insane amount of damage that every class can deal.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats because of the utility and versatility of squadrev - especially when combined with killspawning. the only limiting factor is organisational, you dont even need a bit of skill to press a button once all are dead, only the knowledge that it exists. and this goes for all maps. in the days you often saw engis sneaking behind lines and squadrev, it somehow died off though, probably because the organisational level dropped aswell.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  15. OuNin

OuNin Member

those squad skills should be about fighting vehicles.

besides squad heal/revive, there really aren't that many things you can do to affect the state of infantry combat. skills that differentiate what the squad can do like letting small arms damage armor probably would be more readable and meaningful in play than letting you kill more people I mean doing more flat damage

or alternatively doing something with ammo/reloading etc like an Instant Reload or Bottomless Magazine

revive/heal/arty let individual players take hold of the skills

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Bottomless mag would be sick as fuck.

17. Lazybum

Bottomless mags would be super op, telling you now. Especially with this new smg1, it'd be like hmgs everywhere.

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

maybe a skill that reloads your current magazine with x2 capacity or a VERY limited time-based bottomless mag. I just wanted to emphasize that increased damage is a boring skill that doesn't manifest in an empowering way to players like squad heal/revive/arty

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

Damage doesn't manifest? Bro have you ever played TF2

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

ok so you're shooting your gun and it's like uhhhhhhhh it does more damage ... ok

whereas when you have double magazines or whatever, you see it, it's tangible, and you can use it. like kritzkrieg in tf2 takes a lot of additional sound design and visual effects to make it really work but empires has none of that and it's a bad game so instead of making people feel liek they're taking unnecessarily more damage than usual (reads poorly, nobody likes it) having more ammunition is something people can read better