BSID Statement on Recent Matters

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Duke Pending, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just because they've always done it, doesn't make it acceptable. You could create a clan purely for griefing that exists 3 years, doesn't make it acceptable in the slightest. Saying "It's just what BSID do" isn't in any way justification for it. EPIC micspam a lot, doesn't make it ok, even I can admit that.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Sure, nothing here is acceptable. We've got about 26% of the community playing nice, all the time. Another 58% or so knowing how to play nice, but just not doing it. The rest are griefers, newbies, normal people, and scum.

There's really nothing you can do, and by the time you figure out there is something, it will already have gone away. So sure, jump up and down if you want...make yourself feel like you're doing something. I don't mind...ain't gonna bother me any. And as you may have noticed, I could always use some random things to post on.

3. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I agree with what Trickster said. I also guarantee that this would be a much larger and more heated issue if we were talking about griefing instead of stacking, as griefing is the #1 issue in Empires, stacking ultimately ranks 2nd. If this were a case of griefing, I'm positive we'd be seeing much more of a witch hunt here on the forums & across the servers.

@Ikalx, we know no perfect solution exists... we aren't having to figure that out. Nevertheless, we have playerbases to answer to when we are asked "why didn't you admins unstack teams?" - "why didn't you admins situate that knucklehead?" - "why did that stacker get away with a slap on the wrist?" - "why is that griefer still on the server?" and etc.

If we don't have good answers, or can't prevent players from needing to ask us those questions in the first place, those players will eventually perform a flight to quality.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ah, I get what this is now. It's just the place for a dialogue between admins, server owners, and involved parties, so you can say "hey, stop that!" and they can say "chill, we're doin' it!"

And probably evidence gathering for anyone who says "Noes! I will play with who I wantz!", so you can ban them.

I get it.

5. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

Trying to prevent clan stacking is retarded

People will join a clan to play TOGETHER

If you want to prevent clan stacking ban all the clans or live with it

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  6. Deiform

Deiform Member

Orrrr, you can play as a community and have some nice matches, save the playing together bs for scrims.

And why yes, we will ban offending people - that's how we'll live with it.

7. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Spoken only by someone who doesn't understand the heart of the dilemma, and who lacks the competence and courage to even try to gain an understanding of it.

Just because you're inept doesn't mean the rest of us are.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I wish my posts were still on here.. I shouldn't of flamed the trolls though. :(

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

So your posts were targeted at Dawges?

Anywhos, like I've said again and again, how do we county name-changer-clanners?

10. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Determining who is behind a name is not difficult at all.

Theowningone wrote a plugin long ago at my request that lets you type !profile <name / partial name / Steam ID / Player Slot #> and then loads the MOTD browser and navigates to that user's community profile.

I even wrote a simple application that converts Steam IDs to Community IDs and vis versa for out-of-game use. (Download or View Conversion Explanation)

With Empires (and most games/mods now running Orange Box), as of 2.2x, all players' names are their Steam Friends aliases, so determining who's who is even easier now than it was before 2.2x.

That's just not a problem for experienced admins. In fact, I think VIPER is indeed running the profile plugin, so I don't understand why you're having an issue there. It's certainly not an issue that needs further attention in this thread.

11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Shandy, I have 2 alternative accounts that I can play on (they have HL2 installed). If I really wanted to go as far as being evasive it would be easy.
    I don't want to stack, I just want to play with friends.

And again, if it was just a bunch of random people who were strapped together with no connection, then nobody would complain. It's the tag that makes the issue explode.

You can deny that all you want, but without the tag, there is no problem. Of course, the stacking is still there, which the admins don't like.

That being said, I've played against stacks in the last couple of days.

At first it's hard to counter, but you figure out what the opponent does after sometime.

12. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

No, removing your tags and stacking doesn't make it any different, it just gives it a new face. Some players & admins target the clan tags... I know that most don't, and it is possible to have clanless players (especially veterans) skill stack... it happens, and is often dealt with just the same. The people involved in BSID targeting are (for the most part) not even admins, but normal everyday community members and players. Your tag beef is with them, not I.

I don't need to deny anything, as there is nothing to be denied. The problem is there whether it wears the tags of any clan or not.

You're missing a major point of all of this mess. Stacking is something that players don't like. Subsequently, admins happen to be players. Being an admin has little to do with the anti-stacking regime.

Also:
    The issue is really only problematic when it's round after round after round, as is usually the case.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If you have 6 bsid members on at once why not have 3 vs 3 for team work. This is like that old giving tree story.. You should give back to the mod which has given you so much. Help it grow instead of scare noobs off. You will be able to stack when its more then 2 populated servers.

But for now be respectful to this great mod and try your hardest to make games fair and fun.

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

John Shandy is credit to empires.
    [​IMG]

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Well said :)

It's been suggested. As I recall, FN198 flat out refused.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

prickster complained, so now I can use his statement about BSID sucking as an excuse to stack.

I'm kidding.

17. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yeah, I know players don't like it, but nobody plays the game to make it fun for others. Unless of course by making it fun for others you make it fun for yourself.

Some of us play the game for the entertainment value. The cold harsh truth is that I will never meet, hear, see, or care for anybody here in my entire life. And while I do care a little, why the hell should I care for what anybody wants? I play this game for myself, everyone else can jump the goat. (This might need some explanation).

And there's a perfect counter to my statement above, which is "lol bcuz u get teh banz". Which is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that nobody should care.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

'zactly. People can't be forced, some people will do things for the good of the community, others will do things for themselves. There are consequences for both types of people.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I just don't see why people can't do something good or show respect for a mod that has given them endless hours of fun for free.

20. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I respect the amount of work put into the work, I respect the developers who are doing this for free, I respect the people who are helping them.

But that's all irrelevant, because I couldn't care less about what others players think or feel about the game and its issues. I play for myself and love myself EMO RAEG. (This is a demo)

Anyway, you can't force anyone to have morals and "care for people". Unless you are a christian. In which case, it becomes a part of your daily routine.