Black Friday Deals Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RetroFade, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The short answer is that hard drives are slow because they have moving parts. Even a crummy desktop SSD will dropkick the fastest HDDs into submission.

I could write a bunch of techy bullshit, but it's much easier for you to experience it for yourself.

That is an evolutionary jump, like adding more horsepower in your car. SSDs are a revolutionary jump, like a completely different engine technology.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'd say it's like going from tape drives to hard drives, or floppies to optical disks, or optical disks to USB drives.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

i dont really notice a problem with speed unless im transffering stuff to a usb/sd card though............

4. Candles

That's the thing about upgrading to an SSD, it's not that so much that hard drives aren't good enough at what they do inasmuch as that SSDs are just plain better at it. There's no problem with using a hard drive at all, but the speedup from using an SSD is definitely noticeable.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know man, I got some hard drives in a raid 0 config and it's like whoa. Rather it is like 1 minute boot times, and I usually have something to do during the 1 minute so I never notice it. I keep thinking maybe it is worth it, but then it's like I could get another 1-2 tb hardrive for the price and I need a place for all my shiiieeet.

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  7. ImSpartacus

SSDs won't help there. You're limited by the shitty external storage.

Even if RAID0 gave you a perfect 2x performance boost, it wouldn't matter.

In the kind of "speed" that causes the noticeable "snappy" feeling, a cheap SSD is already like 100x faster than an HDD.

A mid-level SSD from 2011 against the newest 10,000 rpm Velociraptor drive:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Decent storage arrays now intelligently shovel data around between combinations of SSD, SATA & SAS disks. I think that will filter down to higher end consumer products before SSD totally takes over the market.

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The jump from HD to SSD has the biggest impact on perceived performance over all other upgrades.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

We should all get a cheap sandboxy game together and play. Like maybe space engineers.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Getting an SSD was the single biggest upgrade I made to any PC in the last 10 years. Nothing had as noticeable an effect as that.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Ultra better gfx or bigger screens don't count as the most noticeable and useful effect? So frigging what if your PC gets into your chosen OS 30+ seconds faster... or you started an app faster... I don't care to spend that kind of cash for frivolous improvements when I can spend the same cash to actually get significant improvements that effect me in more then 2 ways.

14. Candles

I'd agree that getting an SSD isn't going to be the most useful upgrade unless everything else is already pretty far up there, but it'll by far be the most noticeable. Disk access is incredibly slow compared to RAM access, and the switch to an SSD will cut almost all loading times by over 50% because of that. If you're screen is already 25" large, another 5" would cost and lot and not be that much noticeable. If you can already run a game at max settings and pull 60 FPS easy, then a GPU upgrade isn't going to matter. If you can cut your computer's boot times from 5-10 minutes to under a minute, that's definitely going to be something you notice.

15. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Who the fuck has 5-10 minutes load time!? They need to be slapped.

wait wait... I take that back... if your using an htpc or something like that, I can see it taking for ever to do things with the general lack of... well everything.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  16. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

You haven't played BF4, have you? Mechanical drives use minimum of 2 mins to load a map.

17. ImSpartacus

He's a little confused.

Most boot times with a hard drive under Windows 8 are already a minute or two.

With an SSD, they can sometimes squeak under 10 seconds.

But that isn't why you get an SSD.

With an SSD, shit just happens. Right now, you think your computer is responds to your clicks. It doesn't. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. I'll just say that when you get an SSD, you'll notice a difference in everyday usage.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It's exactly like what I said about 720p vs 1080p. Some peole claim it's a revolution, it's a must etc. and some just don't give a fuck at all. There's a reason for so many Xboxes sold.

19. ImSpartacus

Who claims that it's a revolution? Sensational journalists?

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013