Bio - intended effect of repairing

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by soundspawn, Mar 21, 2010.

1. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

been like that since i've played. probably a bug of sorts. imo the bio effect shouldn't ever be repairable. an engineer tool can't fucking repair most of a 100 damage cannon shot in an instant, why should it work like that against bio damage? just another reason amongst a gigantic list of reasons to tank as an engineer.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the idea of bio is to do generally more damage then other weapons, but to delay the damage so the enemy has the advantage of running away/being able to take those extra shots

the fact that bio does not stack its DOT effect makes it a hit and run weapon

id say pickled has therefor a good point

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

maybe you should only be allowed to repair hull bio with engy or with repair pad, so the bio can wipe out armor easy but isn't a 1 hit death sentence for lighter tanks.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

In 2.24, i've seen tanks die from bio before they can get back to a close repair pad. I think in vanilla 2.24 it's not so powerful, but the DoT doesn't really cut out. It should be fairly powerful but cut out after the armour is healed to 50% or more (on that side) or the tank is driven onto a repair pad.

Either way DoT should cut out once you're getting repaired by a pad. I think that's a major problem. Dun mind so much if engies can't field repair so well, but the pad is...should be a safe haven.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It's a feature, and has been like this since the first version.

The bug with bio is that you will not be able to repair it on a repair pad as the repairpad waits 10 seconds after taking damage before it will start healing. As current Bio scripts have the damage interval lower than 10 seconds you'll have to wait until the bio effect wears off until it'll allow you to heal on the repair pad.

This is a bug as the 10sec cooldown for the repairpad was thrown in there as an afterthought to stop repairpad camping, but never took into account the interval of bio damage.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Makes sense...how 2 fix? We can't say that driving as engy is the fix for this....

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

So, engy calc doesn't remove the effect, repair pad should and everything else is a bug.

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

No.

The repair pad shouldn't instantly remove the effect. Perhaps sitting on it for 10 seconds removes the bio effect but does NOT repair any damage until the effect has been removed (so repairs would start 10 seconds after sitting on the repair pad).

10. dizzyone

Or it could just start repairing after 10 secs while still taking bio damage.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

the engineer tool DOES remove the effect.

12. dizzyone

Using caps doesn't make it informational.

In what version does it do that and since when?
    I know it doesn't, perhaps it's a new feature in a post 2.2 version and then afterwards became bugged.

But it's never been like this and the last few times I played it didn't remove the effect.

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I think Empty wanted to make particles so that you can see which tank takes bio damage. This would make testing easier.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Hull bio doesnt get negated, but armor bio does.

That's why regen hard coutnered bio, every regen tick it killed the bio dot.

15. dizzyone

Since which version did it behave like this?

Sounds like a bug to me, or a new feature gone wrong.

16. Empty

Empty Member

It's been like that since 2.12 to the best of my knowledge (I've only tested it in 2.24d though)

17. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

The Engi tool only removes the effect when the armor side is repaired to full, same with hull, or of course the dot runs out. An Engi with repair upgrade should have no problem handling a bio missile etc. Hell you really shouldn't be driving a tank unless you're an Engi, or Gren. I see no problem with Bio, and never have. It's not overly effective, and the fact that it has a decent DOT at least gives the Bio tree a good stop gap weapon until you can tech another tree.

When I read these comments, I have a genuine concern that half the people on these forums hardly ever play the game. I still remember the post your SDK stats thread, where most of the dissenting opinions on developing, and new ideas in general, were spit out by people who play maybe 4 hours in two weeks. Give me a damn break.

Who are you to weigh in on the fate of a mod that you don't even play?

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just gonna add - bio sucks as infantry QQ

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

bio should not be able to kill infantry, just pull em down to 1 hp or something

being infantrybio'd is really annoying

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

imo bio against infantry is perfect the way it is.

however, against tanks it is fubar. afaik, empty is wrong about bio armor against bio damage. however, if a tank with any amount of armor is clicked once with a repair tool on the face taking bio damage, the bio damage on that face is instantly negated. not applicable on the hull until at least part of a plate has been restored by an engineer tool, at which time the bio effect will end. it's been like this for as long as i've played, which is only 2.2 or so.

in practicality, this means that if you're in a tank with lots of plates, and your opponent only has 1 bio ml, you can easily hop out and repair a bio'd face, stopping all bio damage DURING COMBAT while your opponent's bio ML is on cooldown to negate bio damage with little risk to yourself if you maneuver properly.

not to go off topic, but IMO combat repairing needs a serious nerf anyway, and this is one of the big reasons (but not the only one) why.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010