BigTeef Map Idea Depoitory

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by BigTeef, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

It won't play well. There is only one area on each side to build anything, and that is controlled by one team or another by a massive choke point. There is no way this could work as a commander map.

If both teams started on the SAME SIDE separated by some sort of barrier, and had a small street area in between then another area to build then a small area between then another area to build, with each street being large enough to place a barracks in either case, it might be playable.

There is a map like this already though. Go find it.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Going to try one more time before I just scratch the idea, and try making a small control point map using trenches.

[​IMG]

I made the map smaller and made it less droney, I followed the advice trick gave and made is spacious enough and not ridiculously spacy.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

My advice would be to open hammer and take a good look at your proportions. The bases should be much smaller, enough room to fit some general buildings in and maneuver around them. Should be no more than 2 choke points for vehicles to enter from. Height is a major advantage for infantry, major disadvantage for tanks. tanks can't aim down very well. They can aim up very well, keep that in mind when designing things.

The inbetweens should have multiple sections WITHOUT line of sight vision to eachother. Line of Sight vision is a huge disadvantage to an area, it allows cannon, missile and nuke spam to take things out. At least make it so they need artillery.

With the proportions shown, it would appear that your main part of the map is the size of the center of isles, or slightly smaller than urban chaos. This is too small for the complexity you desire.

Part of the problem is that there is just too much damned cover for a commander map. The other part of the problem is that there is NO cover in the base areas. It'll clog up at the entrances with turret spam, then the bases will be held until one team or the other gets nukes or HE or artillery.

Again, open up hammer an make this map out of nodraw blocks. Give the walls the same building side texture, give the floor a street texture. Just make the map how you think it should look overall with no detail at all. then drive around it in a tank, see how long it takes to move around, how easy it is to move around, and see how you feel about it. And when I say make it rough, make it reallllly rough, like litterally giant rectangles for buildings with a wall texture on it. no corners cut. Just a 6 sided rectangle about 512 units tall.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. BigTeef

When you get a chance, I think it would be great if we can setup a date for a coaching session.
    I want to give something back to the community other than shit posting.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

not sure if trolling,,, but.

Use basic RTS designs for the maps. Give one main area to start, a couple of areas that could be used, and some decent battle sections in the middle. There is a great example of every type of map that will work already in the game, all you need is to adjust the variations.

there are not any mappers who want to take the time to make someone elses idea real. it's a great deal of time commitment when you map. Hammer is not that hard to pick up, so you should just pick it up and do it. Doing the simple outline to get a feel for the map would take you about 20 minutes once you get used to the interface, and that includes a playable compile. put it in the map folder and run it, see how you like the layout in game.

6. BigTeef

No I am legitimately serious, I am not asking you to help me make a map.
    More along the lines on how to use hammer, special tricks, and basically a montage of you shaking your head until it looks good enough.
    Because I have never used hammer so I don't exactly know how to even put in ref points, let alone door switches.
    I don't want to resort to making star-craft maps sense empires is more than rock paper scissors

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Can I make emp_starcraft or something with a layout you would see in SC2?

Would that work, because it's possible hammer-side?

8. BigTeef

http://read.twedt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/kul-rav.jpg
    http://phosgene.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/lost-temple.jpg
    http://classic.battle.net/images/battle/scc/lp/0998/bchain.jpg
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110728225418/starcraft/images/f/f7/TheBoneyard_SC2_Map1.jpg

As you can see its nothing but slopes and canyon walls.
    These maps don't have souls, they lack character and personality.
    The game play on the map makes them more interesting than the maps themselves.

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Someone please fix the title, it makes me want to hurt myself.

10. BigTeef

I am most likely going to request it get deleted, and then drink myself to death because im a failure as a human being.
    Its hard to accept that your ideas and dreams are just complete shit.
    And how the fuck did I manage to misspell depository

11. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Step one: Top Hat Waffles tutorial archives

Step two: Have fun, make some small maps to learn how things work.

Step three: Uninstall hammer in finally accepting its impossible to acomplish anything with this blunt instrument.

Step four: Go nuts, reinstall it and apply some serious head-to-brick wall and out-stubborn the darn thing to achieve your dreams.

Edit: I'm still between three and four myself. :D

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I myself made a HL2DM map once, and an Alien Swarm map once. They're mediocre in gameplay and ugly as fuck, but they're mine and they work.

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I've given you pretty simple advice, if you can make that map in simple brushes (so it looks like a pac-man game), I'll help you get further along. Read a couple tutorials, watch jephir's terrain videos (jk), go to interlopers and read up on their tutorials for basic mapping, dl their examples and check them out.

You can't be taught depth, you can't be taught relativity. If you can figure out how to make a basic map, and then how to put a command vehicle and barracks in it, I can work with you on the logic to make refineries work. I can show you how to optimize it, how to create 3d skyboxes. I just can't show you how to make a simple map. If you can't figure that part out, it's gonna be nearly pointless working with ya.

It's like trying to teach someone to multiply when they don't know how to add and subtract.

14. BigTeef

So this is how Kurt Cobain felt, very interesting.

15. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

rofl what?

oh no the corporations are gonna use your jpeg to sell cars and sell you out better kill yourself with a rifle?

i lold :D

16. BigTeef

[​IMG]
    Requesting a lock on this thread until I make progress.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Locked on request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.