Bad map design.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Alceister, Dec 1, 2008.

1. butter jam

butter jam Member

a base is when caggers is comm and builds a castle with 10-20 lvl 3 mls on the sides and a nice gate with a draw bridge operated by simon.

2. Alceister

Alceister Member

I'd think that a fully equipped base would have at least a barracks, armoury, vehicle factory, and repair pad. But generally you don't get that much space. Which is one of the great advantages of APCs of course: while barracks are far more permanent they take up a lot more space and are harder to defend.

My computer is utter and complete shit, yet it runs duststorm comparitively fine.

What's your specs and settings? I manage to get around most things by setting things to DirectX 8.1

3. Empty

Empty Member

A base in my opinion is a barracks. Everything else is optional. If I can place a barracks, it's a base.

4. Inside

Inside Member

I was on a server where satanschild was an admin... he was abusing the loving jesus out of his admin powers and lost them the next day :|

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Actually it was the same day. He went from player, to admin, then had his admin revoked for abusing, then was banned for griefing, all in a few hours.

6. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I still have yet to see him ingame.

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

He calls himself Raiden Empire - Gene in game, presumably because he doesn't want to be recognised as Satanchild666 from Empires forums, for one reason or another.

But yeah look out for him, I've seen him greif loads on servers where he thinks theres no admins.

8. Omneh

Omneh Member

!voteburn Raian Empire - Gene

9. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I'm sure he isnt using that alias now.

EDIT: O SHI- I have seen him, hell he helped me test one of my new plugins for end of round map voting. I hate me now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  10. Gnar

Gnar Member

o god your too right. empires core is based around vehicles. the core gameplay is this. chooseing between vehicles or infantry is the players option, as vehicles are available about 2/5 into a good game. I played this map (dont know if it ws insurrection) but there were trees EVERYWHERE. and the map was huge. It made vehicle gameplay obsolete. the radar was useful only for detecting, but research was useless, as nobody was using vehicles anyway.

taking away the open space casues a chain reaction that is bad. no vehicles, means no research, means lots of fast dying, and taking away empires core gameplay. keeping small spaces for infantry, and larger for vehicles is the perfect way to counter just having small areas so infantry dont have to all be scouts to kill anyone who isnt driving.

If there is any BAD map design, it would only be some of the 3d skyboxes, not all, some are just empty land, but others are well detailed. a little more details into all of the maps would not hurt. it would really help people getting immersed into the game more. newwer mappers i think realize this, and some look better than others... =P.

A good example is district 404. (i hate this map so bad but looks amazing)

11. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I have many different nicknames.

I am sorry for the grief, it was my stupidity to recycle the entire base...

Atleast I am good at playing, I mostly end up first, second or third.

So what, I suck at being an admin. And I am sorry for it...

12. o_O

o_O Member

fission cant drive on uneven terain because it spins out all the time, standard cant climb steep hills, 3 phase has a tendancy to just launch off terrain and get stuck, APC's get hung up on ridges and pointy things.

But above all empires eats massive server and player resources as it is, more stuff in the maps would just kill the source engine.