Bad map design.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Alceister, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Okay i'm no mod or anything but this is turning into a big ass flame war of everyone calling each other a shitty mapper which the forums can probably do without.

2. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

There is something wrong with the way the map is constructed. So either way, I have to say your right. Thank you for the corection ^^ It looks fine.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Lag in the sense of bandwidth usage is not caused by the map, the map can cause FPS loss, which can look like lag. If you care so much about having smooth gameplay, then you should get a better pc.

4. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

The maps runs quite FINE on my computer. But map causes a loss of FPS, wich means that that is a problem of the Source Engine or Bad Mapping. (Or bad Computer)

5. Empty

Empty Member

Can we all agree the Satanchild has no idea how to map, and unless he has a solution for all the map 'issues' he should shut his face.

Mapper's don't make crappy maps on purpose, and they wouldn't get played if the maps weren't fun.

And stop decompiling everything, you should REALLY get permission before you do that.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

Lag can be caused by the map, by using too many networked entities. And if you get 15 FPS on one map while getting 50 on most of the others, then there is something wrong with the map.

7. Theowningone

To many "prop_dynamic"'s maybe?

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I don't think there's that many prop_dynamics in any of the official maps, prop_statics are most used, and are really cheap network-wise. Resource nodes however, are another thing.

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

I was talking theoretically. Plus in 2.12 canyon, crossroads, cyclopean, isle, and SoF have tons of dynamic trees, which eat a lot of bandwidth.

10. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Why do I suck at mapping? Ever played my maps?

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

have you made any maps for empires?

12. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Assuming you have not read all my posts:
    No I haven't releashed any of my maps public yet, I am working on emp_europe and emp_palace trough.
    I am experienced with making maps for Half Life and F.E.A.R.

It's funny to see that even though someone has never played my maps can still judge me and claim I suck at mapping.

13. Theowningone

Hang around the community for about a year and it's pretty easy to judge a book by its cover. Personally the fact you have 300 posts and have only been here 1 1/2 months yet i never see you ingame makes me think you at the very least haven't graduated High School(if not middle school). Secondly you haven't followed through on any of your maps yet and their concepts seem rather ridiculous. I mean i haven't been around as long as everyone else here but i'm a rather quick learner and I'm around a lot in IRC and ingame so it's rather easy to pick up on things. I myself have tried mapping for empires (No maps were ever released.) and can tell you, this isn't like TF2 or CSS or some of the other mods. An ass load of stuff needs to be considered. Resource, Vehicles, Buildings, Objectives, Layout, Use of research, and even how infantry can help. Trust me you really need to hang around more before thinking you know how empires works. Especially mapping. I have a lot of respect for the dev mappers. People bitch and whine a lot but people don't realize all the work that goes into mapping. These official maps are really well made considering the wealth of community maps people refuse to play.

14. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Because I only regristered for Empires 1 1/2 Month ago doesn't mean I haven't played it before. Still you cannot judge me without having evidence of my maps.

15. Alceister

Alceister Member

Well we haven't seen said maps. Doesn't mean you're immune though.

16. Omneh

Omneh Member

Can you give us some examples of your F.E.A.R. and Half Life maps please, Satanchild? Just so we have an idea of your credentials. :)

Oh yea, and anyone want to hazard a guess at how many prop_dynamics are on Insurrection? I'll give you a clue: too many. Honestly, I can't make a single self deprecating comment about my poor mapping (at the time I made Insurrection) without some dolt misinterpreting it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I did write out a big long message, but considering I just got a warning for flaming, I don't want another one within 24 hours...

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Big open spaces cause lag, considering that insurrection is a BIG OPEN SPACE i guess thats one of the main problems why it lags.
    Look at duststorm it has almost nothing in it but it runs slower than most official maps.

Well I dont tell everyone that they are stupid
    and act like Im the first and only one that thinks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  19. arklansman

arklansman Member

Duststorm doesn't run that bad, and some of it's fps loss is from that crappy dustcloud.

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I have a huge fps drop on duststorm compared to other official maps.