"Assault" or "Scout"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Tama, Dec 29, 2015.

?

Assault should be renamed back to Scout

1. Yes, name it "scout"

90.9%
  2. No, "assault" is better

9.1%
  1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Which should it be?

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

when i think assault, what comes to mind is a front line fighter. something that can match the rifleman.

currently, the "assault" uses hide to sabotage buildings and stuns cv/vehicles
    i dont think its worthy of its current name

3. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

It should be Scout. It's being named Scout since forever and even after the name change many of us still call it Scout.

I'm pretty sure much of the documentation on the game (Quick Start Guide for example) still refer to that class as scout. Renaming the Scout class was an unnecessary change that just confuses newbies.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It made sense when empty changed infantry balance, but it doesn't work like that no more.

5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I agree with the others. It confuses new players being called assault... Whereas it is currently used as a scout, for scouting and sabotaging purposes.

6. Lazybum

I'd still love it if hide was changed to that movable non permanent thing that was brought up a lot. Honestly if hide was changed to that then assault wouldn't feel like a bad name, well at least I would certainly be using it as a assault class.

7. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Assault. Plus hide is a terrible mechanic that encourages stupidity. Also i do believe Assault's weapons are going to be HMG, smg2, shotgun, smg3 (NF)

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The primary usage is disruption, not reconnaisance. Of the two inaccurate names, assault is more accurate.

9. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I could go look for the changelogs, but it would take a long time to find what you mean with that. I wasn't playing when Empty did scripts, so would you mind explaining how his infantry balance made assault more of an assault than a scout? Have we since reverted these changes? And is that a good thing, do you think?

10. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

Oh so this is why I was confused about a "Scout"? :D

11. Lazybum

2.52.9 was when it happened, but not much was really documented because of how much changed, although he did make a thread outlining the changes better I can't be bothered to look for it. Empty was trying to change the infantry dynamics a bit. Besides changing how a lot weapons handled, like changing be's hmg to act like an auto shotty and nf's hmg to something you can spray while running around(it wasn't bad honestly), he gave assault much higher bullet resistance like 35-40% and had rifleman bullet resistance dropped to 10%, can't remember exactly. Should also point out that assault didn't have scout rifle, I don't think they had smg1, but got those hmgs I mentioned. I can't remember if rifleman got the scout rifle or if it was just removed.

Pretty much the idea was to make rifleman long distance fighter with accurate weapons but unable to take a hit, assault had weapons good for up close encounters and good bullet resist, engy was engy and gren was gren. I feel like there was something else too, but can't remember.

Patch was rolled back because not many like the change for whatever reason. People operate heavily off the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" way of thinking.