Arty shell cams and Guided arty shell cams

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by Dubee, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darktimes

darktimes Member

it doesn't, the camera switches to the last shell fired, or the next fired shell, whatever. so if you spam arty, you'll just see yourself from above, or the next 100 meters, till you fire again, I mean.

2. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

I do have a ranging cannon for artillery that this will probably fit on.

QFT. Also up for testing is a cluster arty
    Instead of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVSm0O7SiFc
    we get something more like http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7309904847520611793#

As for the guided artillery, I dont see any problem at all as long as a spotter is required to actuality guide the shell, and the effect of guiding the shell is about the same as the splash on the shell.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Steerable artillery shells with camera would actually be a really good way to make artillery interesting and viable, you could cut the ROF and overall DPS and in return allow the shells to hit very precise targets, less spammy, more fun, and potentially expandable to perform other tasks.

I would suggest that you make it a standard feature of all artillery, and add a bit of inaccuracy to the cannons themselves to make the steering a bit more engaging. Also make it the alt fire, standard fire just shoots normally, in case you want to move after shooting.

I don't think they need to be all that damaging if you do this because you could literally drop them right on top of turrets and enemy infantry, making the base largely defenceless if the enemy doesn't get rid of them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Damage should still be pretty high, because of arty cost + the fact that you can't fire another round while camming.

One final suggestion I'd like to make (perhaps it already has been suggested): Arty tanks can't move while camming to make them extremely sitting ducks. In this case, I wouldn't mind changing the entire screen to the shell cam (keep the minimap?)

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well high enough to make the shell work, but it doesn't have to be something that can annihilate a base in one or two shots.

Basically make the power come from being very accurate, not from having a huge splash and damage.

Also I was asssuming arties wouldn't be able to move while guiding, because I was thinking it would use look controls. I'd also suggest if possible that you change the arty tank to use one of the other chassis, maybe the medium chassis with the arty barrel, just so you can aim the thing in multiple directions to help with the power through accuracy thing, you could clamp the downward angle just as you do with normal arty so you don't get battle arty.

6. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

for once in the suggestion forum's life, most of these posts say the same thing.

verdict: good idea is good

I'd prefer the cam to be in place of the minimap and only tied to secondary fire, but meh, small details really.

7. darktimes

darktimes Member

could someone post this under 'organize stuff' sticky? so that it doesn't get lost?

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Wuts dat? Rejected? :3

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haters gone hate when they should congratulate

but on foreally: I agree with chris, maybe all arty should have this instead of it being a skill. But what would that make the grens arty feedback do?

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Anyway, going to Under consideration.

11. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

good point, could the cams be the arty feedback skill? they seem a little awesome to just be giving out to dirty scouts and roffles.
    Hopefully keep the minimap diamond as part of the skill, but add the camera as a secondary fire function for arty tanks?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if, it should be linked to a skill - but then, what does it matter, you probably switch to gren anyway?

13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

dammit, no flasche
    (bad argument is bad)

14. Lynx

Lynx Member

fuck COD:MW2.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah I didn't like the game but I loved dropping shells on people trying to run away from them.

16. darktimes

darktimes Member

personal opinions on Cod4 have nothing to do with this suggestion.

I support arty cam, full view or mini map, fireable or automatic, I support all variants, because the main idea behind it is good.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Added this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.