Arty shell cams and Guided arty shell cams

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by Dubee, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Ok so heres my idea. And I talked to mootant and he said it is possible to do.

Arty feedback:

currently it shows a pretty big inaccurate box on the map of where you are hitting. You have no idea if your shells are hitting the best spots. So I was thinking make the mini map turn into a cam or just the whole screen follow the shell to its destination. This would make an end game weapon much more effective and fun to use. I hate sitting there and not seeing the shit I am killing.

Make scouts(or any class) have a skill for guided arty shells with cams. So you could guide arty shells onto targets in a some what of a similar fashion as the predator missles do in COD:MW2. Would again make an end game weapon more effective and fun to use. Also would give another class a useful tank skill. NOT GUIDED AS IN YOU CAN FLY IT AROUND THE MAP. IT WILL STILL ACT AS AN ARTY SHELL BUT WITH SOME CONTROL ON DECENT.

Pros: fun fun fun

Cons: Coding, might not make it into 2.26

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Agree, want

3. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

guided seems overpowered to me o_o. having artillery feed back is good enough.

how about.. using scouts as forward observers. meaning when scouts use their binoculars to view and mark targets, the artie user can look through the same binocular view as the scout to see if its a hit.

i rarely play scout.. if u hide and u use ur binoculars, are you visible?

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It's not guided in the sense that you can make it fly upward. Its guided on the travel downward like the predator missle. That is not OP its just more effective as far as hitting groups of inf/turrets/or almost dead buildings.

Having arty feed back is not fun. Hence this idea is to make the game more fun.

5. Empty

Empty Member

I like the idea.
    I'd also like to see anti-tank artillery with this, really long range artillery shells which are effective at killing stationary vehicles (IE sniping the enemy commander or countering enemy artillery)

6. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

7. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

This also reduces the stupid "10 arty shells hitting the same spot 3 seconds after each other" deal that makes arty so dumb and annoying.

Definitely an awesome feature, adds to the overall impressiveness and polish of the game, addresses the lamest combat mechanic, and looks good doing it!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for guided arty, anyone remember bf42 artillery? make it that way maybe?
    so you only see artillery impact when a scout gave targets PLUS you picked the feedback ability?

compromise?

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This suggestion seems to have some similarities to this http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=13645 (Scout binoculars + squad arty)

But beside making arty more fun to use and making the scout more useful we shouldn't forget that arty fight in general are mostly boring.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Everyone knows the redeemer from UT.
    Make it like that (with less steering) and fighting enemy arty becomes fun.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if we add this can we please scale down the ridiculous splash from arty?

12. flasche

i dont like the redeemer idea and i think arty splash is ok (nukes are way worse anyway)
    arty shouldnt be homing/guided

13. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

What happens if you fire several arty shoots and all are flying at the same time? (its not uncommon to have 3-5 shells in the air at the same time with extended range)

14. flasche

i assume u'd follow the last one fired?
    also, this should somehow be triggerable, it might become an annoyance soon ...

15. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would go with something like hit shift while fire arty makes that shot a cam shot. or since we are getting cam instead of farty detect you can just make it a right click.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If you can guide the arty shell, splash will be more of a concern. Nukes are bad and probably always will be though....perhaps with the new "infinite ammo", the cycle time will fall to something that allows for a ripostè.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

can we make it hijack the space reserved for minimap to display this? im talking about camera, if we use that idea can we make it so the camera displays in the minimap, for as long as the bullet is alive that is

this way you can still see things around you and minimap isnt something you need every second to look at

18. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

cam until the shell hits the ground, then move to the next oldest shell?
    it would be pretty useless to see the most recent shot only, cause the rate of fire is higher than the flight time.

this would be cool if secondary fire shot a shell with a cam, so you could check your aim when you want to, and spam like crazy til that target dies, then check your aim again. guided arty seems OP to me, and I'd rather have arty stay strong and dumb than get weak and smart.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This.

<filler>

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Except its not squad arty. It's arty tanks.

I like the idea of having a cam on the mini map kinda like how in dystopia the RPG has like a little TV screen on it. But yeah the other ideas work too. I think arty could be buffed a little bit more as far as damage so you really only need to shoot 1 shell at a time instead of a bunch for it to be effective.

These end game weapons (nukes,arty) need to be impressive and fun instead of just over heated tank battles or arty hitting a rax that has 20 engineers inside repairing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.