Armor Guide for Commanders and players

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by zachtos, Jun 5, 2006.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

this has nothing to do with armor.

making bad use of composite is their fault, getting pwned by a light tank is definitly misuse of the heavy tank, let alone composite

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

im tellin ya, armors are balanced when you calculate in cost to get, cost to use, and weight as well as effectiveness.

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Yeah, I don't think there is a best armour, it depends on the weapons and chassis you and your opponent have.

4. zachtos

zachtos Member

correct. depends on the situation. I tend to just counter the nub pubs "gas/coposite" every time w/ absorbant/biodiesel. Rail guns are the only real counter to composite, the other counter is just making cheaper tanks w/ good tank to tank armor (absorbant) and outlasting them in res flow.

5. noobyaus

noobyaus Member

Well I haven't been playing Empires for long, and I rarely do public because no one in aus plays it anyway :<

But that basic story was I read this post, and was interested in finding out more, because the whole armour tech tree can confuse newbies.

So I loaded up my own server, put FF on and spent about 2 hours just testing everything. Then it crashed before I could post what I found and did it again, which is the reason why I didn't include every weapon.

Talking more on reflective, I tested that alone in multiple ways. Shooting at it with a standard cannon from different angles. In brief, it is random. I tried to the least perpendicular angle I could, and one shot it would do 2% damage, and another shot would do 30%. Summed up, Angles less than 30% will on average only do half the damage on impact.

Now according to the previous posts on this thread, you all thought highly of Composite, so i was looking forward to how it would perform. Its supposed to be good against missiles right? well surprising results I found. Composite really wasnt so spectacular.

IMO, You cant go past a Bio MG. The comment I made about shooting 2 rounds into my CV with the bio, and it eating the 3 layers + half the hull, was done with 2 rounds on the bio mg. Yes mg. Not missile. So Now I reckon the bio MG is essential. Absorbant (in the test) outperformed the rest, so I will probably use it the most. Although, I still love Regen armour.
    and I'll probably never use composite/reactive/reflective. But then again, I'm not that experienced so I dont know the full effects of weapons, I was just a curious person wanting to test out the different armour types :)

6. Revolver

Revolver Member

Noobyaus is wise beyond his years.

Rock on.

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I think Regenerative is perfect for those hit and run assaults, it regenerates so you don't always need an Engineer, and are due for a quick attack again.