Armor Guide for Commanders and players

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by zachtos, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I say reflect should still reduce damage from arty...

2. Revolver

Revolver Member

It does, on direct hits.

3. zachtos

zachtos Member

ive been hit using refective by arty and taken close to no damage. its a very random unpredictable armor for me. but if you can master it, you can be very very good.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I found it not working properly a lot of times, getting hit on a different side.

Also there seems to be a place on the armor, if you hit there the hull gets damaged badly, and it isnt perpendicular, hard to reproduce and definitly bugged. When I was testing out a lot of weapons with Sobbing, I hit a bio warhead there and it ignored armor, and destroyed the hull in like 5 seconds.

5. zachtos

zachtos Member

reflective should just get replace w/ some other wacky armor since it is so random. most comms wont even get it since it's unpredictable. maybe a "thorns" aura armor = reflective/richochet back? I still like the way it works now but it's just not getting used and probably never will.

6. Revolver

Revolver Member

Reflective is a great armor. I use it on APCs of Shame quite often. Just remember, it all depends on the angle it hits you. Not if it hits you. Plus, the rockets often will fall and detonate next to you, which will do some damage.

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I find reflective quite effecitve, but you have to be aware of the hitbox of the tank (Imperial Mediums are usualy the best for reflective, they got a smooth sexy curving front)

8. zachtos

zachtos Member

seems to be too exploitable of an armor. reserved for elitists. I'm not sure they should keep it. But would like ideas on how to make it more popular or change it?

9. Revolver

Revolver Member

I don't think it needs to be changed. It goes well with Death APCs. Pick it up while your in Physics getting Depleted Uranium Heavy Machine Guns for your APC. Most APCs do well with reflective armor.

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

most? there are only 2.

11. dizzyone

you have only seen 2 apcs in the whole time you played this game?

12. zachtos

zachtos Member

APCs are deadly early-mid game if you rush physics weaponry. Thank god no one does this against me.
    I haven't been playing much cuz I gots me a new sweet red head g/f. very nice.

13. noobyaus

noobyaus Member

Hey guys,

Just started playing Empires and saw this topic on the forums and decided to take a look. After reading I decided to actually test out the different armour types compared to different weapons used on them.

I loaded up my own server, put FF on, and tested the different armour types on Brenodi heavy tanks, 1-plate armour, with 2x armour type selected.
    I tested composite, Absorbant, Reflective and reactive. All the tanks I used were Brenodi Heavy tanks, and every shot I fired was a direct perpendicular hit to the rear of the tanks. I tested with Plasma cannon, HE cannon, standard cannon, regular missile, bio missile.

Fire direct into the rear of a Brenodi heavy tank as goes:

Standard Cannon:
    Composite lost 100% armour, 20% hull
    Absorbant lost 40% armour
    Reactive lost 90% armour
    Reflective lost 80% armour

HE Cannon:
    Composite lost 100% armour, 10% hull
    Absorbant lost 100% armour
    Reactive lost 100% armour
    Reflective lost 100% armour 5% hull

Plasma Cannon:
    Composite lost 40% armour
    Absorbant gainesd 30% armour (:o)
    Reactive lost 10% armour
    Reflective lost 30% armour

Standard Missile:
    Composite lost 90%
    Absorbant lost 40%
    Reactive lost 80%
    Reflective lost 60%

Railgun:
    Composite lost 70& armour
    Absorbant lost 2% armour
    Reative lost 60% armour
    Reflective lost 70% armour

Biological Missile:
    All tanks destroyed over time, except for reactive, 10% hull remaining.

So thats basically what I discovered. Note taken as well, I was really surprised with absorbant armour. Testing it again later, it actually absorbs a LOT of splash damage and adds it on as extra armour. Plasma is useless against absorbant, as it is just turned into extra armour. non-direct hits do the same. Bad point, it died quicker with bio weapons.

I was mucking around before, and I accidentally removed the 3 armour layers of the CV just by shooting 2 bio rounds into it. Reflective armour is random, But I found if the angle is generally less than 20-30* on impact, atleast only half damage is taken...othre times u take double. random.

Absorbant looks liek the best armour choice from my POV.

14. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Good Work :D really usefull, even though I didnt expect Absorbant to perform that well O.o

Did you try other rounds like, the missle spammers, or the Uranium MG? Or Explosive MG?

15. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

yeah, nice work, we should get a full server and test it all out... btw, second armour does not work (I don't think)

-Sheepe

16. Revolver

Revolver Member

Excellent post! Very useful information. I'm going to have to start playing with the HE Cannon now, even though I like the dual-cannon set up.

17. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

And look at the railgun numbers! I'm never researching that again, on the off chance that my enemy goes with absorbant. I think this clearly shows absorbant is superior, no?

edit:
    I guess I shouldn't be so hasty... zacthos said it was weak against high damage missles. If it's as weak against high damage missles as it is strong against the railgun, it might be a risky armor to choose late in the game.

18. dizzyone

I really dont see why this test makes absorbant the winner :o

I mean regen heals over time for one thing, the shots were perpundicular so no way to know if reflective would have been better.
    Composite weighs the least, I can name a few situations where that extra weapon would save you the fight and in a lot of cases can handle a lot more damage than absorbant

still a nice test tho :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  19. Revolver

Revolver Member

Composite may be lighter, but it is much more expensive. And still flimsy. That's how my LT can take on Heavies and win. Get behind 'em, put a few cannon shots in there, and it's dead.

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I was doing that all the time yeterday on the On|E server with some pubbers... They tried to votekick me and accused me of being a hacker :D

I think im going to run some tests myself as well... this is facinating suff