Are the CV's too weak and/or vulnerable?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by bitchslap, Nov 25, 2008.

?

are the CV's too weak-ass

1. yes

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. no

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

<reserved for suggestion pending poll results>

2. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

No, just watch out for ninjas and tank rushes, and you're good.

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Sorta. They're too weak against mines IMHO; I think CVs should be immune to being thrown around by mines, and should take half-damage from them (just like with stickies). Mines are too easily stacked in a group, even with 9-mining removed; they shouldn't be able to end the game in an instant.

Against most other weapons, though, usually comms manage to survive random attacks from what I've seen... tank rushes strike me as a legitimate tactic. Even APC rushes aren't bad as long as they don't happen in the first five seconds of the map.

4. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I think, less hull, more health in the armour.

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Railguns.

6. butter jam

butter jam Member

yes cvs should have self defence, rails and nukes no over heating :P

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

mines and flipping

8. LordDz

What I meant was: Railheavys can own a cv very very quickly.
    I wouldn't mind if the cv had absorbant.

9. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

If CV had absorbent everything else would harm them easily.

If we give com more armour, they become a even better damage sink while working with vehicles on the front line.

If we take away some armour, the com will die before the com can react, more often then happens now.

10. LordDz

The cv got plain armor atm, which is worse than anything.

11. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I think its important for it to be weak, adds good tension, even improves teamwork.

It also gives underdogs a chance. If the behemoth of the winning team is too big to fight, maneuver past them and hit the cv. Ninjas and griefers are another thing and shouldn't be considered.

12. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

I think they're okay as-is. But MAYBE there should be a small mg on it somewhere and some way to emergency-float (one use; cannot be reloaded)

13. butter jam

butter jam Member

CV gets composite armor and a planetary destruction laz3r

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

bio standard, sloppy commanders make the game bad for the whole team...

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I don't think the CV should be able to be killed by one vehicle (i.e. rail heavy, APC) or infantry (i.e. 9mine). Allowing this ensures more people will try to rambo their way to victory. The CV's armor and engines should be able to withstand/outrun these lone-wolf style attacks.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

How often do you see the CV killed by one lone vehicle, though? I think it's pretty rare, and when it happens it's often because the team was badly screwed anyway.

Additionally... it is important that the CV be weak enough to discourage comms from using it as a joy-vehicle to rush out and do things themselves. The CV belongs in the base, after all. The locking mechanism in the next version should help with this, but it's still dangerous to make it too tough or fast.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

While I agree that the CV is NOT an offensive weapon and its not a defensive weapon either, it should have something... Plain armor sucks a§§. Perhaps give it absorbent with an 'E' build speed of self regeneration.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

give it a snow plow, like a train has

to plow tanks out of the way, would lengthen games considerably since if something goes bad the commander can plow himself out

19. Demented

Demented Member

I don't think that's possible. :p

Hardcore RTS gamers (and thus commanders) are notorious for their min-maxing style of gameplay. They will use every resource they can to the fullest extent that it can be used. If that means the CV can be used to draw fire from their other vehicles (or buildings), they'll do it, and they won't be satisfied unless the CV retreats from battle with 1 hp. Giving it more or less hitpoints just means they'll risk putting it in more or less danger.

The only way you could stop CVs from being used in battle without making them easily killable in base would be to let players easily kill the commander (especially at range) without hurting the CV (which could be as durable as you want). Killing the commander isn't a major loss, since he can always respawn and jump back in, provided the CV is near a barracks, but it's also not hard since he's limited to 100-130 health. However, in a hot zone it's not so simple and the CV could be left stranded and in danger, and out of the commander's control, where it can eventually be pummelled, no matter how tough it is. Add to that the fact that RTS players hate losing control of a situation and you have a more serious deterrent.
    (But, again, some commanders will still risk it.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  20. LordDz

You don't know the fear of getting killed when to at the commander. One player can do so much damage against it when there's nobody in it. ''Shiet, I died - running back to cv, gets shoot. **** he's going to ***** it!.''

Nah, it would be a huge pain if you get sniped (by any other weapon than the scout rifle). CVs are fine as it is, offensive commanders can pretty easily get stunned by sticky stuns, pesky walls, sidestepping, turrets.