Are NVMe SSDs worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Nov 30, 2015.

?

NVMe worth considering?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2016.
  1. Yes

37.5%
  2. No

62.5%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Since my Samsung 840 has serious issues with reading older data (speeds go down under 100 MB/s), I'm once again observing the SSD market. Prices are generally pretty good for SATA3 drives, but there is a new kid on the block:

[​IMG]
    Non-volatile memory express (NVMe), made for those sweet bandwidths PCIe 3.0 allows (up to 4 Gb/s).

Now my problem is that even when I fix the read speads on my current SSD (with Diskfresh) there are still considerable loading times in games like Guild Wars or Star Citizen. According to this review, even NVMe might not fix that:

https://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed/4

Considering a 512GB Sata3 SSD is about 150€ and a 256 NVMe stick is 200€, my question is will I even notice the better tech or in other words:
    DOES IT WERTH?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Only thing I have to say is that I wouldn't take Star Citizen as an example of long loading times

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I thought that more space on ssds tend to increase life and read/write speeds?

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

From what I have read about SSD's, the less free space you have the slower it gets. Duno how that works.

5. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Why the fuck did no one ever tell me this?

This makes my SSD literally useless.

6. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Oops I voted yes when I meant to vote no.
    According to the interwebs there arn't even any SSDs yet greater than the bandwidth of SATA3 so M2 SSDs are a waste of money atm.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i voted no for you. i was under the impression one could change ones vote now - just wanted to try out voting, i dont have an opinion on this matter ...

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I don't understand. The whole point of NVMe is that they surpass SATA III bandwidth.

9. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I take back what I said in the previous post, a bit more googling had found this 2500MB/s NVMe monster.
    Basically the quoted SATA3 and NVMe speeds is just the speed of the interface rather than the speed of the SSDs.
    To make an NVMe SSD worth it you have to make sure it is an SSD with > 6 Gigabits/s speed.