APC Rushing

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Krenzo, Aug 26, 2007.

?

What should be done about APC rushing?

1. Increase APC Cost

26 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Decrease APC Health

34 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. APC Rushing Is Good for Empires

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

APC rushing has reached new and more terrible hights than ever. an APC with fast (or any advanced) engine, and armour can wizz around your base dropping off men faster than your whole team as grenadiers can chase it down. it's not impossible, but it's damn tough to kill an APC with an angry chaingun that is constantly moving and dropping men out the back, when you need 4 mortar rounds to hit it to kill it.

i'm not saying there isn't a way to stop it: there is-

the turret farm.

plonk three or four ML's down and it'll be tough for your vehicle to get past.

-------------

the problem is, that this is making empires less and less fun. APC's are not serving their roll any more, as support, hidden behind a rock or something.. and are instead being thrown into bases.

I think the problem now is price. with only three refs, you can afford to buy a new APC after each old one that gets into their base gets destroyed.

a paper APC should cost 400, and with good armour + engine, 800.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

APC's should always be slow, and maybe an increased spawn time? 1.5 times the normal spawn time sounds good.

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

What's wrong with using it as mobile barracks at the front line? It isn't used just to rush base by moving it to the base. I'd say it's perfectly fine just start buying LTs/AFVs. It's incredibly easy to destroy.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Why not make it so that you can't spawn in it whilst the engine is running, it has to be sort of 'deployed' (meaning nobody is driving it at the time). This could get annoying with all those "spawn point lost" messages, but at least it would stop the rushes.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

3 or 4 ML turrets is not a turret farm :P

6. Align

Align Member

It could have low accel but same max speed(and also lose speed whenever you turn). That way you can drive in straight lines fine, but trying to do what sandbag describes wouldn't work.

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Halve the current APC speed and it should be alright then.

Though, it's basically a small truck with horsepower to boot in many, many cases. Most troop transport vehicles can usually hit 100km/h (60mp/h) without real effort.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

so no one else thinks that 200 res for an APC (used to be 400) is too cheap?

9. Slithzerikai

At this point, you can give the APC 1 health and make it cost 1000 res., it's not going to stop APC rushes, it will just get more coördinated and tactical.

In a way, nerfing the APC only encourages creativity, not battling early game rushes at all.

10. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

And the answer is TIME LIMIT FOR VEHICLE BUILDING.

Make a timer in the bottom of the screen where it says something like, establizing links to main satellites or something. That's totally fine because it isn't "weird" at all to have that kind of timer on your screen when you all in sudden pop in the middle of nowhere where you can't even get out and then you have a Command Vehicle and Barracks there too which puffs men out of it from nowhere.

I think the timer should start ticking right from the start after the commander voting is over and it should be map specific because on other maps you can have Vehicle Factory right away and on other maps you need to wait for it.

So the time should be set so that when you have first time money for the VF it still should be ticking like 30 seconds or 20-50 so the teams could get ML and MG defences up to defend against from APC rushes.

If your team doesn't get that defence up, its your own fault that you didn't get your defence up while you couldn't make any vehicles.

I think that would fix it at least temporarely if not permanently.

11. Slithzerikai

Eventually there will be 16x maps where these things will be much more of a bother than a blessing, can't get to a team before they put down a million-and-a-half turrets anyway then, airplanes will be pretty expensive no doubt.

12. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Oh yeah(although today was crap >_<)

yesterday during the pug, I rushed APC's 2 times flawlessly.

You could almost hear "ride of the valkyries" playing the background

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  13. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

creativity should be encouraged, shouldn't it?

14. Slithzerikai

I know, I was there both on emp_canyon and emp_streetsoffire

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There's no need to fix anything except teams that can't defend. Changing cost to make it harder on SOF will make it impossible on canyon. Every 200-300 res ources are important at the start of the game. Team defending against APC rush will have more refineries and stuff. And FFS learn to buy tanks to kill APCs/AFVs.

16. Align

Align Member

Don't tanks cost more than APCs?

17. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

APC - both sides - 100, NF LT 120, BE AFV 100. Armor, weapons, engine add to it.

18. Align

Align Member

Regardless, since you're countering an APC rush, you'll have to rush tanks. Meaning you have to do exactly the same thing as in an APC rush, except with tanks...

19. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

That's why the time limit would be map specific.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Align: Lol not rush, on 90% of the maps you can just place walls, mines and turrets. It's enough.