Anyone releasing a map within the next few weeks?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Trickster, May 29, 2010.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The solution is to make the sun a lot brighter than the ambient, that way where it's sunny, you get slightly yellow because it overpowers the blue, and where it's ambient, you just get the blue of the sky.

Like in real life.

Srsly dudes you need to meteorology moar.

Then stop living in florida and live in a normal place with real sunlight and an atmosphere that supports rayleigh scattering GOD...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You could also try living in a body with eyes that can actually detect violet. But what am I saying, you can't even see green.

3. Demented

Demented Member

Bitches don't know about my Mie scattering.
    ---
    Do they have clouds in what?
    ---
    We've gone from "It should be slightly yellow tinted, with the ambient being slightly blue tinted" to "The solution is to make the sun a lot brighter than the ambient". Does that mean he likes me?

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

guys cut down on the hatin

also lol at chris giving color advice (sorry chris, just is funny)

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm not giving colour advice as much as I'm giving instructions on how to simulate real sunlight.

I don't need to be able to see the sun properly to read about what colour it is, how it works, how it affects certain materials, and how to simulate that in a game.

Half the reason I do that is because I can't see it, so I work from a mechanical approach to replicate the physics behind it.

Brighter sun is the solution to your mixing problem, faintly yellow sunlight with blue ambient is what you should be getting, and is the solution to the question 'what colour should the sunlight be?'. If you try to get that and end up with green due to them mixing, increasing the direct sun intensity should solve that. Two problems, two answers.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

kewl, i always go on feeling tbh, like for example i gave emp_break a yellowish ambient and the sun a stronger yellow to simulate dry air with scorching heats

7. Demented

Demented Member

That'd probably be a bad habit from other games which can't do ambient light realistically. In Source, radiosity from the yellow sunlight works as its own form of ambient light, if the lighting is bright enough. That lets you keep the ambient as another color, which you'll notice in very sheltered shadowy areas away from direct light.

About the only problem with that method was when mods were implementing that damn fake bloom from the Episode 1 version of the Source SDK (when, I believe, HDR still wasn't available to mods). It appeared on surfaces if there was a really bright light on them even in LDR mode, which, since it wasn't a particularly good implementation of bloom to begin with, looked absolutely stupid. I don't believe that's the case anymore.

A minor nitpick is that the ambient should be the color of the sky, not just blue. Not all skies are blue, such as when they're cloudy, it's evening, or filled with smoke and ash (which can lead to some very surreal hues).

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm assuming you're during it during the day with no cloud cover, as it is the best looking time of day.