Anti-tank Rifle

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zombified, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Zombified

Zombified Member

I was leafing through my WW2 weapon book when i came across the section with anti-tank. My idea is to give the scout the rifle. Before you start screaming, this would be a replacement for the sniper rifle. The way i play it the scout is an ambush and sabotage character, so why not an armor ambush weapon? It would be a Breech loading single shot, and would do minimal damage to armor. The trick of this would be that it would have minimal penetration (1 or 2 sheets) and would do little damage there. If it penetrated through to the hull though, it would either overheat or do direct hull damage depending on where hit.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

No. Vehicles are supposed to be a scout's weakness (and, aside from APCs and small tanks, the Rifleman's weakness, too.) They shouldn't get anything that makes them more effective against them.

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Well I can argue that every class has a direct way of dealing damage to tanks and just structures in general; the scout is the only class which has no direct damage capability and are still decent against infantry...

Engineer - Turrets; gernades + ammo box; Calculator

Grenadier - Big Daddy of infantry AT warfare, mortar is good for blowing up infantry too...

Rifleman - Stickies; 2 stickies takes out most tanks and a turret; 6 stickies on one side take out the CV; thats 2 riflemen... Oh did I mention that they mop the floor with any infantry thrown against them?

Scout - A commando unit of sorts; but lacking the Arlond Shwartzneiger scenes with shit blowing up as they run away in slow mow... Scouts are good at the begning picking of, far away riflemen and engineers, good for sabbing a base just before a seige, but alone they have no way of taking out a tank, they can only stun them and pray they have enough stamine left to run away...

So something for the scout to harass veichles at long range could be usefull... Maybe something that damages the driver instead of the tank?

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

such a weapon should severely slow down the movement speed of the scout. or have very limited ammo.

A .50 cal DU bullet would be what this is. It should probably be made for a different version, and rather than damage the tanks health or driver, have it do damage to the engine of the tank, reducing the total amount of heat the tank can take, (like making it fill the heat bar up to half maximum, making the tank much more limited in it's capacity to do damage.) This is another way to harrass tanks, but does no damage to them.

Obviously this would work kinda as if you had sabotaged tanks, and would be repaired likewise.

6. Degenatron

Degenatron Member

It's called the Pillum and it's in BF2142.

Go get 'em tiger.

D-Gen

7. [C9] Cobramaster

[C9] Cobramaster Member

well he does have a point about getting an anti armor rifle we've had one version or another in the real world since WWI. currently development is being wrapped up on the big brother of the Barret .50 m182 rifle that fires a 20mm cargo round designed to take out medium armored vehicles and even some tanks if you shoot at the right spot. something like this would be goo say do damage on the scale of the regular tank cannon with really bad recoil and lower ammo count, say four 5 round mags on a full extra ammo load.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

i think it doesnt fit the scout, its more a weapon for the grenadier or the rifleman its to big and unhandy for the tiny little scout...

9. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Please note that the name of the class is 'scout', not 'sniper'. His specialty is recon, as in sneaking around behind enemy lines. Sniping is all well and good, but he isn't intended to go up against armor. For example, one role that no other class can fill is to get to where he can paint enemy targets that are behind a hill, so that artillery tanks can drop their shells precisely. That is why they get XP for recon kills. Sam Fisher, NOT Duke Nukem.

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

A grenadier just using the regular F menu Spotting could be twice as effective as he can also attack the target, an arty guided by commander painting is also just as effective if not more...

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The scout binos work at longer ranges, and spot for two minutes, letting you track the target if it runs.

Oh and I'd be happier with this being given to the grenadier.

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

No. Every class is supposed to have their strengths and weaknesses. Grenadiers are strong against vehicles (via RPG or mines) and buildings (via mortars), but weak against infantry in direct confrontations; Riflemen are strong against infantry and light or immobile vehicles, but generally weak against any vehicle they can't get close to; and Engineers have ways to do anything, but aren't as good against either vehicles or infantry as the more specialized classes.

Engineers are intended to be the game's jack-of-all trades; other classes are generally supposed to sometimes run into things they just can't handle well on their own (nearby enemy infantry in the Grenadier's case, a piloted vehicle they can't get close to in the Rifleman's case.) The scout's weak point is supposed to be vehicles when they, themselves, lack backup; they can disable with their heat stickies if there's someone or something else nearby to take the vehicle out for them, but they aren't supposed to have any way of taking them out on their own.

Scouts already have several ways to harass vehicles; they can do it by disabling a vehicle repair facility or factory at a key moment, or by disabling turrets a vehicle was counting on for backup, or by overheating it with a their stickies. You aren't asking for scouts to have a way to harass vehicles, you're asking that they be given a way to destroy vehicles--easily, efficiently, and at long range, without backup from any other class. You're asking for them to be turned into stealthy sabotaging Grenadiers with flashbangs.

Scouts already have enough roles in the game; they don't need a slice of the Grenadier's role, too.

13. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Hear, hear. You've hit the nail right on the head.

14. thaile

thaile Member

Actually, I don't think must people know this but the scout stick stun grenades not only overheats an enemy vehicle for 5 secs, but also does 100damage, which is more then an unupgraded RPG.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

A skilled grenadier will clear out entire infantry formations, you have my word on that *Shudder* . Have you seen good grens play on infantry only maps? Some players have a higher score than riflemen. Sure the F menu spotting works worse the the binocs but, its still spotting, and for all practical uses; an artilery piece needs only a few seconds to see it...

Each class is able to potentialy take out a single tank on their very own; sure it might be difficult, but each and every class has the capability to dish out enough damage to kill a tank. (Theoreticaly speaking; I know this is not always the case though, and it will just fall down on the skill and luck of the two parties involved). Don't underestimate an engineer SMG2 that thing is deadly at closer rangers; which engineers have ways of inforcing: Just plop a wall down and wait for that roffleman to come close and loose his range advantage.

If a tank is counting for a turret farm as backup; there is already a problem there, scouts can only dance around tanks and pray that they will not be spotted; they can't gloriously charge the damned thing and get a kill due to god's grace. Scouts hide doesn't really hide them really well; I had countless games were a scout spent an entire map crawling to our base sabatoge one building and get killed instantly. A Grenadier or an enginner would have been more usefull if they gotten into the base solo; as they could have dropped mines or thrown nades, something more substantial then just "Saboting" (Though that skill is very powerfull when used in the right time. i.e. just before your team starts shelling the hell out of the enemy)

My point is; every class has a chance to take out tanks during the right conditions; hell a couple of well placed stickies will flip a heavy tank right over... A well placed turret and wall hiding could kill a tank as well... Grenadiers arent as "Incompetant" against infantry as you say... Scouts is the only class in the game that cannot in sorts "Stand their ground" against a tank, hell the scout should be renamed to something along the lines of "Commando" as what they do right now is not scouting...

16. Slamz

Slamz Member

I'd vote "no" for scout but "yes" for making this an optional grenadier weapon that he can use in place of his rocket launcher.

I imagine the rocket launcher would be higher damage (plus splash for hitting infantry) while the anti-tank rifle has the advantage of hitting targets instantaneously -- making it much more practical to aim at moving tanks, particularly across longer ranges.

17. polaski

polaski Member

I vote yes for the AT scout rifle and also for a renaming of the scout to spec ops for the reason that the current scout doesn't have a role in the game currently. Scouts currently have absolutly no way get get real usefull intell like resource count or whats been reaserched. We already can get intell about the number of enemys on field and where they are and who is comming. I love playing as a scout but its just not practicle durring play as you cant do pure scouting.

18. Zombified

Zombified Member

Another idea i had for this was the idea of a trail behind the bullet (sort of like Halo) so that it would only be a 1 or 2 shot ambush weapon.

Also, read what i said in the first post. It would only be good at one or at max 2 layers of armor, doing little damage to the armor itself, but rather damaging the vehicle hull or possibly people if shot in the right spot.
    Im not saying that this should be in anyway better than an unupgraded rpg, but rather a way for scouts to deal with litely armed apc or jeep

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Damage to hull calculated based on angle of impact and remaining plates? The less plates the higher the penetration... so jeeps are easy picking; but 3 plates will take a while...

20. Zombified

Zombified Member

Or possibly never. The idea with a anti armor rifle is to damage the insides, while rockets damage the outsides, so with 2 or 3 layers, you would be impervious to a scout. A heavy should not be vunerable to a scout, that just makes sense. The anti armor rifle is for unarmored- medium armored vehicles.