Altored Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by tylerp9p, Mar 23, 2008.

1. E-carus

E-carus Member

We never implemented aircraft.

2. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

By the way.

Is the folder name Altored Empires or Altored_Empires?

Because without the line between the words the Steam or something else reads it just as Altored.

3. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Well, the folder is Altored Empires V2 and steam reads it just fine. I modded the gameinfo.txt file a bit and added a custom steam icon and background, it looks pretty nice.

4. taiiat

taiiat Member

hahahahahaha. i cant belive i am hearing this crap! 2 gigs is naive. i have an extra 520gigs on my comp. only proplem is that im lazy to move my external drive and make it internal. but i have 30+ gigs of space internal. 2 gigs is nothing, man.

5. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Then you wont have any problem with V2.

6. Mr. Weedy

Yes, steam reads it just fine because it reads it only as Altored. Nothing else. The spaces must be replaced with the _ if you do a new mod folder and the folder name has spaces in it.

For example, try to execute a command in steam's console which has spaces in it and doesn't have quote marks around it. It says command "first-word" didn't found. Same applies to mod folders. It reads it as Altored only, not Altored Empires V2.

7. taiiat

taiiat Member

i didnt say i would. i havent complained that its too big. i have enough space for anything. although i should move prostret and crysis to my other drive. i should get rid of a mod or 2, i have sooo many. my steam folder on my HDD is 60+gigs. its fkin huge.

8. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I don't get what you mean. It has spaces and not underscores and all the names, titles, and data appears correct as Altored Empires V2, I am not getting just Altored anywhere.

9. taiiat

taiiat Member

well, not always, there are some commands that have spaces in them, most do actually. the values arent separated by an underscore. but yea, you need to separate the word with underscores, its just the way it works.

10. taiiat

taiiat Member

did you install another version of empires, and justchange the files? its the simple way to make it work. you ned the underscores to make it work. theoretically. but i have a second copy f empires, and it had and underscore, didnt show up as altored, and without, still didnt. i dont care really, i just altered the icon so i know the difference.

11. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

The installer copies the whole empires folder (so you have your downloaded maps and such), deletes the default files, and replaces those with the files (background image, steam icon, and scripts folder).

I tested it in Steam, It works fine, the folder has spaces. The game runs, appears in server browser, as long as it works i don't care about an underscore.

12. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

[​IMG]

The highlighted game is Altored Empires V2 running out of the folder with the same name............

13. Mr. Weedy

And this is what I mean that folder name should have underscore in it:

[​IMG]

Otherwise steam would read all those folder names as zombie, PSM and DIPRIP.

And especially with DIPRIP this would cause big problems because then there would be two versions of the game which in Steam's opinion are using the same folder name hence it thinks DIPRIP's demo version is the same as DIPRIP's full version and there would come all kinds of issues with that.

Same applies to this Altored Empires mod. If the folder name is "Altored Empires V2" without the underscores, then the steam reads it just as Altored and when there comes another mod which name is just Altored, you are in deep trouble.

But I'll stop here, it's your mini-mod and you decide how you do things with it.

14. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Ah, I see what you mean.

15. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I just had an awesome idea.

How about an expensive vehicle, stealth vehicle. For example, NF could spawn an NF APC that had the BE APC model. It would still show as a target, but you could easily infiltrate the base.

I was thinking of making them more expensive, and have a research item for it.

Any thoughts?

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Did you check the effects it has on the original Empires install, to ensure it ONLY copies it?

17. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I coded the entire installer from scratch in VB.

It uses one simple command...CopyDirectory(EmpiresDir, SteamDir & "steamapps\SourceMods\Altored_Empires_V2", False, UIOptions.AllDialogs)

It is set NOT to overwrite, and shows all dialogs.

I have used the installer 10 times after restarts and on various systems. Regular Empires works fine and Altored Empires works fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOW

I NEED SOME THOUGHTS ON THE STEALTH TANKS.

EITHER YAY OR NAY.

18. Zombified

Zombified Member

Yay For Uberwtfpwnage Cv Rape!

19. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

Since the weapons are more powerful, we made both CV's have 10 layers of armor.

20. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

what do i do to make it like that in my gameslist? i am currently getting 2 empires mod v2.12.