Alter vehicle appearance based on loadout

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by flounder, Feb 3, 2009.

1. flounder

flounder Member

I'm suggesting that it would look nice if a tank with quad standard cannons would actually have 4 barrels, and a tank with dual umls had two missile launchers on the sides of the turret. And wouldn't it be cool to have a big a$$ .50 cal on top of your apc?

How hard is this to implement?

2. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I'd rather developers focus on more important parts of the game, nobody needs the extra eye candy without a fully finished game.

3. spellman23

spellman23 Member

no, fix other stuff first. Modifying models is a super duper pain.

4. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Silly people saying no because they want other things fixed first...
    The first thing that would need to be done is the models made,
    By time that is finished, all this "other stuff" that you want done, probably would be done.

This is an obvious idea, that I thought was already planed.

5. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

It's already planned as far as I know, but manpower is needed for other long needed things.

6. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

you all speak like this would be purely ascetical... might actually be used in a tactical way too, if you have people hiding that see a tank drive by but the tank not spot you you can tell your team that an enemy heavy tank with dual rails is incoming from NW for example

7. spellman23

spellman23 Member

While I agree with the possible tactical bonus, there's this nasty problem of a few things.

1) generate the different models (design time)
    2) cache and load all these models on client side
    3) create dynamically different hulls in game (plus maybe hitbox changes)

While (1) may be feasible (create a few new parts that can be tacked onto the already existing hull) it's the other parts that get really annoying. The extra load of keeping track of the dynamic hulls can be extremely taxing.

The other option is merely different textures, but that creates a whole other issue on how to do dynamic texturing on the hull.

8. zenarion

zenarion Member

You don't need different hulls.
    This can be solved with model attachments. Weapon models you see carried by other players are attachments to the player models. They are bound to the bones of the playermodels, and animate with them. Same thing can be used with cannons and machineguns, etc.
    Probably the best thing would be having all types of cannons use the same material for texture. That would only load once, and not hog more memory.
    Now who can throw up some concepts for the stuff? Cannons aren't that hard to make in 3d. For the Source engine, it's the importing in-game that sucks ;)
    So if the devs could send over some concepts.. and maybe live with compiling the damn models, I can make them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The cannon barrels are separate, modifying them shouldn't be difficult, although modelling in source is a bit of a pain in the arse.

But modelling, uv mapping, and texturing all take time, and the team is short on artists.

10. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Ah, I see. Much more elegant system than what I was thinking of.

Out of curiosity, I assume these will attach to roughly where the weapon projectiles spawn in the current setup, correct? Or should there be some modification of where some weapons (missiles) spawn relative to the chassis?

11. zenarion

zenarion Member

IMO they could only be cosmetic, if not applied to the origin points for the weapons on the vehicles in question.

12. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

well zenarion if you make them you can't prevent them from being a way to spot what the enemy uses (or your teammates for that matter) without they actually shoot at you

13. zenarion

zenarion Member

Which is a good thing, right?
    The problem is, that the dev team probably has designs on how the different cannons and MG's look, and don't want us bringing our crap ideas into their mod all the time, this meaning: i won't start modeling anything that the devs have no control of.

14. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

yeah I see it as a good thing, and lol I didn't mean you litterally, but just you as in someone (ie. most likely the dev team)