Allowing comm to 'claim' engineer turrets.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

This is a sort of odd suggestion, but I think it would be nice...

One problem with placing engineer turrets at the moment is that if you put one in an important place, your comm won't be able to put one there, and you'll be stuck with your engineer turret there and unable to change class.

So, why not allow the comm to 'claim' engineer turrets by clicking on them and pressing a button that pays the turrets' res cost? In order to claim a turret, of course, the comm would have to have researched that level of turret, and would have to be below their turret limit. Doing this would free up the engineer to build another turret, change classes without losing it, etc.

The same thing could be done for walls, come to think of it... occasionally, an engineer builds vital walls, then quits / changes classes / gets disconnected and your team is screwed. Letting the comm 'claim' them by paying their res cost would avoid this.

The other advantage to this is that it basically allows engineers to 'suggest' where the comm should build defensive structures by placing their engie versions there first... if the comm likes their placement, they can click and claim them.

Also, if this is done, engineer turrets / walls should probably show up slightly differently on the comm's minimap, so they (1) know that they can't rely on those being there forever, and (2) know that they can claim them.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

That's a pretty cool idea.

Though i disagreed at first, requiring the right research levels would be for the best.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

I especially like this one :D

4. Akura

Akura Member

This would help alot, especially if someone makes a turret near a refinery node and you need to remove it to place the refinery.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I thinkie this may be quite useful ^^

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I really like this suggestion, there are loads of features that you've outlined well here. I totally agree.

7. Reef

Reef Member

Generally the idea is cool and I like it, but this:

is another problem. Currently comm can sell player's walls, but he cannot sell player's turrets. Griefers like this feature very much. Needing to pay for a griefed turret would be kinda stupid :|

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

This was suggested before, and we figured that Comms would claim engineer turrets and sell them for extra resources. Making the turrets cost money to claim is a good solution, but might drain resources if used inproperly or by accident.

9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

unless its removed (which I hope it is) then the fact that engineers' turrents cost res to upgrade should be taken into account if the comm claims higher level turrents. if the turrents are charged to bring them up to the same cost as comm built ones (allowing them to be recycled without monetary gain) then you end up with it being more expensive to claim lvl 1 turrents than lvl3, unless the pointless upgrade charge is dropped from engineer turrents.

is there any reason that a comm shouldnt be allowed to recycle a player's turrent without using the claim suggestion?

10. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

*stamp of approval*

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Sounds good, I can't see any real issues with it, and it would solve a couple of irritating problems.

12. Namst

Namst Member

This would, indeed, be very nice. I see nothing wrong with doing this. Had that problem just the other day; I changed from an engineer to a grenadier in a barracks near the front lines, and as I walked out of the barracks, I thought "Which noob recycled their walls?", when it hit me: 'twas my own fault. A comm acquisition could have possibly prevented this, although I could have forgotten to ask him just as easily.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

really nice, i cant count the situations where i was stuck as engineer cause the turret or wall was to esential to change class.

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Oh, also... if this is done, and the comm has engineer-built things show up differently somehow on the minimap map, an engineer's own things should probably show up differently on their map, too, so they know whether or not that important wall has been claimed and they can change class or not.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

We need a floating icon or different color or flying shooting crap that tells you which turret is yours. Not only on the minimap.
    95% of the time i know the possition of my turret but on no-comm-map farming
    actions it could be really confusing ^^

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

This sounds kinda cool untill I thought about something...
    Lets say 4 engys get the upgrade turret skill. They all get in an apc... and run up to just outside enemy base and plant down there max lvl 3 turrets. Com buys them and the engys just keep plopping down lvl3's.

17. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

Part of the suggestion was (I think) to only let the comm claim turrents that he has researched the level for, if you add in either the current (evilly hidden and pointless) cost for upgrading your own turrents and/or a cost to the comm for claiming them, the additional build time for upgrading rather than building lvl3 off the bat, and you've got a fairly pointless exercise.

The only difference could be that engineers can place in places the comm cant some times.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yeah, that's why the research requirement is there for claiming higher-level turrets. Otherwise, as noted, the comm could use this to produce extra level 2/3s without researching them.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

This needs to be balanced or else one engineer with turret upgrade and
    repair upgrade can spam lvl3s like mushrooms in the enemy territory.

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Well, honestly, keep in mind...

First, it's not like it's hard for the comm to drop level 3s so that they can see into the enemy territory. Actually dropping them right next to the buildings isn't such a huge advantage (it makes them easier to destroy.)

Second, and more importantly, to claim a functioning level 3 turret, the engineer will have to spend the time to build the turret three times (I don't think that claiming a level 1 engie turret should automatically upgrade it, although if another suggestion I had allowing upgrades of engie turrets in various ways was implemented, any engineer could upgrade it if the comm had the appropriate research or whatever.) Even with repair upgrade, that's a non-trivial amount of time.

But, anyway, the point is it would take much more time than just dropping a level 3 turret, and would hardly be 'like mushrooms'... if the enemy has enough time to build and upgrade multiple level 3 turrets in the middle of your base even after the first starts shooting, you're in trouble anyway. (And, again, even without this they could just have dropped those turrets on the edge of your base.)

This would allow comms to end up with turrets in a few other places they couldn't normally place them, but an engineer can. I'm not sure that that's necessarily a bad thing, given that it will take longer to get higher-level ones there and will involve some teamwork / coordination.

If that is a problem, of course, a check could always be done to ensure that a comm would be allowed to build the item they're claiming on that location, if the turret wasn't already there... If they can't, they can't claim it. I'm not sure that that's a necessary check, but it would certainly address this concern.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008