Allow maps to define the highest level of turrets allowed.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

If a map sets max turret level to 1, then engineers can't take the turret upgrade skill, and higher-level turrets can't be researched (if the map uses research).

If it's set to 2, then they just can't be upgraded to level 3.

If it's set to 0, no turrets can be built at all.

There was an old suggestion to do this for all infantry maps... but I propose just leaving it in the mapper's hands. There are also some maps (e.g. crossroads-style) where the mapper might want to restrict it even though it's classic mode.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In addition, let us place 'turret points' on the map where a team can build a turret of a set level like a map buildable model, so we can have turrets on the ceiling or inside bunkers or something if the mapper wants, it also means that turrets can be used where they are balanced.

3. Empty

Empty Member

I'd prefer this as a cvar, that way the server can set it, and you can just put it int he map config.

Other than that, 100% agree

Chris' idea isa wesome too, that way we can have constructible turret towers of DEATH... I mean, balanced-ness. :)

4. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Maybe make MG turrets so they aren't 100% accurate and have some sort of recoil.

The farther away a target is the less accuracy the turret will shoot.
    This way, players can't use turrets to "snipe" enemy infantries outside of their range.

EDIT: For this you can use this example:
    1st-5th rounds are 100-90%
    6th-10th rounds are 89-84%
    10th later rounds stays at 80%

When a turret loses it's target the accuracy is set to 100% again.

Another suggestion is giving turrets a small hit box on the back of the gun that "sabotages" the turret when hit, giving scouts more opportunity and a purpose to snipe them...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

NO. Bad ideas. Outside of a small number of infantry or very tight-quarters maps, turrets are not broken (in fact, they're somewhat underpowered and the turret limit is too low, leading to too many people trying to sneak around and rambo things on their own because they know the game's static defenses don't really require cooperation to overcome.)

The power of turrets is important; it ensures that one guy can't just rush in and blow things up on their own the instant the enemy's back is turned, and forces teams to work together as a group to get things done.

It's only a few maps where the layout or situation makes turrets more of an issue than they were intended to be. Any changes should fix only those (and, in fact, I would favor raising the turret limit and/or turret range once those fixes have been put in; I suspect turrets have been balanced to weaker than they should be to favor maps like the old District.)

6. Empty

Empty Member

All of an engineers tools are not used as weapons, they are for area denial, and preventing their advance, letting you move forward with little challenge.

7. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Someone mentioned before about making Turrets go haywire and fire upon any other players on either team... But im not sure if that can be implemented easily.

Maybe it has to be directly hacked, then the turret will stop working for 10 seconds, after which it will work again but fires upon anyone that it sees.

Can be abusive as it won't let engineers get near it, so make it so that only engineers can approach it, or let ally players destroy it...

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Stop trying to nurf turrets. Start getting Bio HE mediums. GG

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Metal, HE mediums ? on inf maps?

10. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Blocking turrets is a really good idea, because lvl3's farms on crossroads ruin game for me...and turrets also ruin most of blight's infantry maps ( he can't ban turrets or he will also ban ammoz)

11. Empty

Empty Member

An easy way to fix the problem for infantry maps is to give both sides 0 resources. Turret upgrades require cash.

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I think he's replying to the posts suggesting ways of universally nerfing them everywhere, which certainly isn't needed.

Geez, I'm surprised nobody thought of that already... yet I've never seen a map using it.

It doesn't work for maps with infantry + light vehicles, though. I don't think high-level turrets are a huge problem on emp_glycencity, but of course you know they're sometimes a problem on emp_2fort (at least, the version I played), and even if you fix 2fort some other way, there's sure to be other people with maps that have similar issues.

13. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Better yet, a sudden death kind of situation where both teams gets 1k or 3k resources and the first team to use them all up gets screwed. This means they need to value their vehicles and turrets more... Refinery doesn't give more resources.

EDIT: This reminds me of starcraft a bit... Another option is give each ref zone a maximum resource of 1k - 3k, this way eventually both teams will run out of resources. To still generate resource a bit, have it so Com vehicle give a +10 resource. Like in Supreme Commander where major units gives out energy and metal.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I think that refinery can have limited amount of resources already.

15. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

It can, however unless the refinery reports how much resources it has left to the commander... I am not going to use it.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You could build a meter in hammer, but it'd be inefficient.

17. Empty

Empty Member

I've disabled turrets on the grass, helps out because nobody can hide them in the trees and they can always be rocket sniped. Anyway, desolation uses 0 res to cancel turret whoring, really REALLY helpful because the map is a level 3 paradise.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

In 2.2 turret upgrade doesn't cost anything. But it's possible that emp_params argument limiting turret level will be added before the release.

19. Deiform

Deiform Member

In your own words MOOtant, how awesome is Empires 2.2?

20. Empty

Empty Member

Please do, desolation will be a shithole with level 3s.