Adding Boats!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Pirate King, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Pirate King

Pirate King Member

I think it would be cool to have Boats/Speed Boats And other Water Stuff :)

2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I agree strongly, but before Empires is ready for boats, it needs a lot of tweaks made, such as balancing, bug fixes, map improvements, etc. Really, it needs a lot of that stuff to happen even before aircraft implementation if aircraft are to improve the game and be successful.

We'd probably need some more maps with larger bodies of water. emp_cyclopean has a healthy amount of water in the middle, but other than the middle island (which is already accessible by land & shallow waters), there's not much of a point to "be in the water" on emp_cyclopean. The same goes for something like emp_isle, where you have an extensive amount of water on the outer rim, but nothing significant gameplay-wise on the outer rim.

For boats or amphibious vehicles to become a part of the game, they'll need maps that provide them with a purpose, and that provide a purposeful location in which boats/amphibious vehicles are either A.) Necessary, or B.) Advantageous.

emp_sinking would be quite an excellent map for boats if the water only raised to a point at which it doesn't destroy the command vehicle, so that the boats can wage warfare around the mountain.

I would love to see boats, though. Along with them though, we will need more water-dictated maps and etc.

3. President Dick

President Dick Member

We already have nade boats and missile boats, what more can you want?

4. Notorious

Notorious Member

nade boats and missile boats that actually float, lol

i can totally see empty researching 'sub-tech' in future tweaks and turning the CV into something amphibious

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Read some of the interviews from Krenzo, there are links on the main page I believe. Both outline the plans for the future of empires. Aircraft were next in line for implementation, then after that they planned on adding ships.

6. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

None of the maps are currently good enough for boats... they the maps would have to be at least 2x

7. Empty

Empty Member

Mannable battleship cannons.
    Fuck yeah!

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Wasn't Krenzo in the Navy? So boats were a big thing for him.

Anyway, I think boats could be fun. Naturally aircraft comes first, which means boats could be ages away, but I think almost everyone has them in the back of their mind, and it's come up before.

One issue, though... building, well, harbors or whatever. How would that work? It's not as easy as with other buildings -- you need some land to put them on, plus deep enough water for the boats to be spawned in.

Possibly both teams could have 'floating harbors' that can be built in any sufficiently deep water (and it's up to the comm to build them close enough to the shore to be reachable. Plus the level designers to put good places for them, if it's a map where they want boats to be useful.)

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Coming to a mod near you, Boats! in 2012! 4.0 friends, 4.0...

10. Empty

Empty Member

Dude, you've been told like 30 times not to leak release dates.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well...um...it's not...um...

*hides*

12. bctech

bctech Member

:D yay for leaks :P now if only we could get them out 3 years earlier

13. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

2012: that's a bit ridiculously optmistic ;)

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I hope i will still be around when boats hit the deck

hhahahaah, i do not know if i worded it correct, but i sure made myself laugh hard ^^

edit: its probably not that funny anyway, just ignore me... i was in a silly mood

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  15. Omneh

Omneh Member

Once aircraft are done, boats will seem simple by comparison. Remember the airboat from HL2? hell, many of the tanks are setup as boats that sink even now... (the NF LT, and the BE med for example)

Models will be the major thing that is needed though...

16. jongscx

jongscx Member

I find that comment ironic in a thread about boats...

17. Pirate King

Pirate King Member

Yea i cant wait for airplanes ether. imagen, Airplanes,Water,Boats and Way way Bigger Maps. And Another cool idea would have Pets Dogs! the Riflemen and enginer can have pet dogs where you can command them. "go over there!" "Wait Here!" "Attack that Guy Over there!" "Jump In my Airplane/Boat/Jeep/Tank!" + the commander could make dogs in the barracks and controll them! like an army of war dogs! good for little amounts of players in servers and somthing for the commander to do rather than waiting to reseach somthing or build or even wait for the game to end!

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha yeah, hadn't even noticed it

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You haven't played as the Commander have you? Your entire team = Pet dogs . :p

20. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

he just likes dogs. is all.