Add a button in menus to show an objects scripts.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Jan 6, 2014.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

You know how research descriptions are fucking outdated as all hell? Please add a button in the menus that pops up a window that details the selected armors/weapons/engine/infantry items scripts that are currently being used by the server. This would allow new com's in slow matches to get an idea of how things work, and it would also make certain obscure pieces of knowledge (reactive resists stickies) be less obscure.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I wouldnt really mind that one, but raw script data is not really crystal clear understandable.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I suppose that would be neat. That sticky resist thing sounds like an oversight though. Z100000M is right though, half the script data might be a bit much or hard to understand for new players. Although most people who actually try out the comm tend to have played for a few hours and should have a basic idea of whats going on. So it might not be to cryptic.

Also for the first time ever I noticed there was icons on the left side of the research menu. I was busy(read: panicking) most of the time so I didn't get a good look but it looked like what ever you already researched, which was neat.

4. Empty

Empty Member

It's kinda hard to get the script data off the server itself but it is possib le to make the menus use the stats from the scripts instead of the stuff written down.

In my opinion we should just remove the stats altogether since they're never updated and there's lots of niche scenarios like resists where things change.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well it should be simple to bring up the steam browser in game and point it to the local file.

6. Empty

Empty Member

I was thinking it could just display the script file in the gui, not that hard.

Or I could go through the scripts and update all descriptions.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

For the record, looking at the scripts would give absolutely no indication that reactive resists stickies.

8. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Armor resists aren't in there?

9. Empty

Empty Member

Well they are in the scripts, just not labelled clearly.

10. Candles

There is literally no way someone without prior knowledge of how the scripts work will look at the value "InfantryMissileResist" and know that it's including sticky grenades.

The fact is that most of the values are well known and self explanatory (weight, health, cost), known but only because people have talked about it (regen, resists), or god-fucking-knows (almost everything under the vehicle chassis scripts). A good number of them don't even do anything (again, vehicle chassis scripts).

11. Empty

Empty Member

i changed a number inside the chassis scripts once to try and get more uphill climb.

my tank instantly did a front flip as it came out of the VF and promptly exploded.

I leave the chassis scripts alone now

12. Candles

Vehicle handling code is seriously the one thing I haven't looked at, because it's the one thing that I'm more fearful of than curious about.

13. Empty

Empty Member

it's black magic man

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

brb messing with chassis scripts

15. Z100000M

Seems like emp vehicles need way more mass, which would make sense give the fact you can push aside heavies in a measly jeep. I wonder if changing mass would lead to immmovable tanks, or was it just kept this way becaue of the usual "fuck you, I dont need a reason".

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

first one ...

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You shouldn't really be able to ram a jeep under a tank and drive it around though...

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

If I remember right...
    When they added mass to the tanks it made it difficult to go up the hills even with upping the engine torque massively. When they add enough tourque to get up hills... the tanks handled like jeeps with strapped on rockets on flat ground. Also... with enough mass the tanks were slipping down hills too.

ohh I forgot... minor drops like you can do now in tanks... would hurt a lot.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  19. Z100000M

I dont see a problem with getting hurt by trying to do circus tricks with a 60 Mg's MBT's.

20. Empty

Empty Member

I actually really like empires tank handling.

If you want realistic tank fights, go play WoT.
    Arcade style ramming, powersliding and ridiculousness are what makes empires tanks battles unique.