A quick, easy idea to curve turret pwnage

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by cpugeek, Jul 14, 2006.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Perhaps it would be better if there were seperate research trees for the different turret types. Maybe you could even put them into different groups. Right now, to get level 3 turrets is only around 4 or 5 researches. If we changed it like i suggested, the commander would have to do 4 or 5 researches for EACH type of turret. That way, you don't have these ridiculous turret farms with lvl 3 mg and ml turrets that are impossible to blow up as quickly.

2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

First off, that would piss off some commanders greatly. Having to research 10 different projects just for turrets would not only eat up their res, the enemy comm could have all of their research goals completed by then. The comm would still have lights with crappy armor and engine and only his shiny little turrets. That would do the opposite of what you're trying to eliminate: turret farming. At that point, turret farming would be his only option because he's outclassed everywhere else due to the huge amount of time the other comm had to get his projects done.

If you can come up with another way to decrease turret farming without actually encouraging it, giving them a disadvantage, or making them useless, i'm all for it.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i dont think thats necicary, seeing how lvl 3 trts arnt that powerful in the grand scheme of things. the way i see it simply raising the cost to place of lvl 2 and lvl 3 trts (and allow the placement of lower lvl ones too) would solve the spam problem without redesining the research tree.

4. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Or, like i want, he could put turrets down a notch on his priority list and research tank improvements like he should have been doing in the first place. IMO, third level turrets are as powerful as heavy tanks and nukes and i hate it when a commanders strategy revolves around them.

5. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Nothing has to be done, people just have to start sucking less... I'm not trying to troll, but turrets are god damn EASY, level 1 to 3, MG or ML, farm of seperate, any DECENT Grenadier can take out 10 to 20 before dieing only ONCE.

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I have still only encoutered three farms that I couldn't mow down as a gren and that was because of some nasty hippies with their scout rifles hiding in the bush. Show me a real turret farm some day... I'm going to bed now...

7. Slithzerikai

I kill people with my mowtar... I don't care what walks into my sight...

8. Revolver

Revolver Member

I generally find it easy to counter-balance turrets. Because as they research turrets, I research tanks and artillery. I wouldn't mind it taking an extra step for level 3 ML and level 3 MG though.

9. Jn.

Jn. Member

I think that's a bit of an overstatement.

10. Revolver

Revolver Member

Level 3 turret =/ nuke

Nuke > Level 3 anything.

Take what? Two? To destroy a level 3 turret. Kills EVERYTHING trying to repair them after the first.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You're going to be busy a loooong time trying to research Heavy Tank AND Nuke. They will have churned out better armour in the meanwhile, too.

I think mr_quackums idea is the best, charging +50 for each higher level.
    LVL 1 MG: 50
    LVL 1 ML: 75
    LVL 2 MG: 100
    LVL 2 ML: 125
    LVL 3 MG: 150
    LVL 3 ML: 175

Comms will think twice if they have to spend wads of cash on a LVL3 turret farm when they can be destroyed easily if there aren't any engineers around.

I would also nerf artillery in the way that they have to position themselves and wait 10 seconds to steady (anchor) themselves before they can fire accurately. To move again, they will have to wait 10 seconds again. You will be able to adjust your aim, of course. You will also still be able to fire when moving or not steadied, but the accuracy will be appalling.

12. Slithzerikai

Slight price increases I'll go with.

13. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Beerdudes suggestions seems to make most sense. Increased price not nerfing the turrets any more than they've already been nerfed.

14. Revolver

Revolver Member

Agreed with Beerdude as well. Perhaps the level 3s should be more expensive than that, actually. A level 3 turret against a 670 res tank, there's a 70/30 chance the turret will win (70 turret/30 driver). Manned versus automated.

15. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

one level3 turret vs one tank that costs 670? thats not true at all, or the driver is really crappy, but even crappy drivers shouldnt have any problems with one silly level3 turret.
    an armored light tank with a fast engine (counting out reactive and composite) costs 590 res (and less with absorb).

But I have to stay at my opinion, the turrets are not the problem, the turretspam is. Instead of changing the turret there should just be a limit, like falcon and or Jkun suggested somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Turrets (tech) price should be increased or time to researched them should be longer. How much longer? To a point where other strategies like light tank rush make sense.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

No, to a point where all strategies are equally good, just the execution of them shows the winner :p

Turretspam should be a valid tactic, but currently the turrets are just too cheap.

18. Slithzerikai

Don't make them 600 each though, I say make the prices max out at 200 per turret, no higher.

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

turretspam should not be a valid tactic, there is a good reason why every fps out there has somekind of limit to automated killing machines.

20. Slithzerikai

Not this one, if I heard right they are going to be adding some more (bots).