A Public Service Announcement

Discussion in 'General' started by Mashav, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

Contrary to popular belief, people who don't have, or don't use their, microphones will sometimes have important information for your team.
    Sometimes these people may also hold important positions, like squad leads or commanders.

Don't be a douchbag, Read the chat.

[​IMG]

2. Empty

Empty Member

I read the chat.
    In fact, when I play on servers where nobody else has a Mic, I actually switch to typing.

Sometimes it's faster, I certainly don't mumble when I type.

3. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Agreed.

4. Empty

Empty Member

To be honest, commanders need Mics in games with more than 16 players. It just doesn't work without them.

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

/signed

I was on slaughtered and our comm restricted VF for like 10 min when they ran over our main base and middle area. The whole time I was spamming for unrestrict and he notices after we lost all our VFs. Then he gags and kicks me when I call him a noob.

Ahh Empires....

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I think you do have a microphone, mashav. I think you just don't use it to propagate the mysterious nature you seem to project.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Target Destroyed 8 remaining.
    emp_recruit (A1): ref please
    Target Destroyed 7 remaining.
    Target Destroyed 6 remaining.
    Target Destroyed 5 remaining.
    Target Destroyed 4 remaining.
    Target Destroyed 3 remaining.
    Target Destroyed 2 remaining.
    Target Destroyed 1 remaining.

Ah... You get the point.
    I often have to check the console to see what someone said ..

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I posted already a suggestion for this:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=9558

But it's always an endless story to bug one developer to make these changes.

And when I'm commander I try to read the chat. But it's hard to keep the attention one the chat in the middle of the fight.
    Mostly I concentrate more on the minimap then on the chat.

9. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

I endorse this thread and the above suggestion.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what LordDZ said - as commander its almost impossible to keep track of what has been said, what is useless chatter and useful information because the notifications spam out anything.

but brutos said he thinks about working on the VGUI, maybe he finds some love for the chat aswell ...

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I actually tell people to spam what they want in chat..because otherwise I can't do jack for them because I just don't see it.

12. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

If brutos just would remove some system chat messages, this would already be a great help.

E.g. as commander I don't need a message if someone is killed or has killed the target. Also I don't care if someone needs a medic, ammo or repairs.

Example:
    [​IMG]

13. Cloud

Cloud Member

The above screenshot is a reason why i don't command.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Because it's a bit hard sometimes? Just choose maps where you don't have to be a target spamming tard.

15. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Yes <3

I rage so much when i take comm, and people are like "why dont you have a mic, i dont want to read", like its that godamn hard to read the chat. You dont need a mic to be good and you dont need to be good to have a mic.

I find the 'guns and wham-o' approach of just keeping caps lock on the best, gets more attention.

Its different when youre comm and trying to read chat though, especially on targetspam maps. Thats why we need to either remove targets in general or get rid of the target updates.
    Also its a bitch because you cant scroll through the chat in commander view.

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

By getting a mic you can become even better than you already are.

all you insecure school girl voiced hippies who refuse to get/use a mic dont realise that if i need to look down in the chat while in the middle of intense combat, then my effectiveness is going to DROP.
    a mic fix that... AND allows you to give info while in intense combat.

It helps you and it DEFINETLY helps the team.

Get a mic today and get rid of ur failness! ^^

17. Demented

Demented Member

I hate people with mics. (Well, the half of them that won't shut up.)
    Not only does their focus on talking into their mic make it almost impossible for them to notice anything on their HUD, but once you have two people talking on mics it makes it impossible for the entire team to notice anything on their HUDs because they're too busy listening to The Radio Adventures of Talky Male Bimbo and his butt-buddy Drowsy McDroll.

At least the idiots without mics have the courtesy to miserably fail in utter silence.

Besides, the last thing such a team needs in that situation is a third person with a mic raging about other people with mics, creating a paradox of hypocrisy.

And then there's...
    "Alright team, here's how this is going to work. I'm going to drive the CV into the water, and you're all going to like it. Understood? Let's get to it then."

18. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

TBH what I don't get is why people even need to ask for refs. 90% of the time I'm trying to get people to GOTO refs and if there is a arrow next to a yellow dot I'm going over there to take a look anyways.

19. Empty

Empty Member

What's occurring here sounds more like alltalk.
    When I play most people use their mics helpfully to the team.

20. Demented

Demented Member

With alltalk it's better. With alltalk, both teams have no idea what they're doing, and the conversations are frequently entertaining. Not to mention that, since their conversations inevitably have nothing to do with the game, and the opposing team would hear anything you say, anybody who wants anything done has to resort to using, and reading, text chat.

Specifically, the problem is the people who are allegedly using their mics to help the team, while failing to notice that something strategically important is occurring (a flag is getting taken, main base is getting destroyed, commander dying, etc.) and also failing to notice what are sometimes as many as three people trying to draw attention to it in chat.