A new and updated art direction

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nickierv, Jun 16, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes they would, any rank organised military does it

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In most however you just get something which signifies your rank like a shoulderpatch or pips on your collar.

The main reason being that the enemy tend to shoot the guy with the fanciest hat.

In the second world war one of the famous generals used to wear a jacket to make himself look less like a general, think it might have been patton. I know monty wore one all the time.

3. SupaChupa

SupaChupa Member

chris is right all that separates rank is often just a shoulder patch or some collar stuff in a combat uniform situation. dress uniforms are the uniforms that have all the decoration on them.

nf combat uniforms need to look out-dated compared to brenodi combat uniforms, they are running on equipment salvaged from old bunkers and stuff from the cold war between brenodi and jekotia and much of it probably went through the earthquakes that caused jekotia to have to give into brenodi the look should reflect the backstory. if all elements of a game arnt related you lose continuity and break immersion

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i stand corrected then, i assumed they still did that stuff with hats stripes and medals etc etc

5. SupaChupa

SupaChupa Member

they do, just not when you are getting shot at

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It's like Superman. As soon as there's trouble they tear off their nice clothes and run into the field guns blazing :p

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They stopped more or less when the rifle was invented, because once they stopped doing the battles where everyone formed up into lines and took it in turns to shoot at each other or bash each other with sticks they started getting snipers, who basicaly just looked for the guy on the horse wearing the shiny uniform and shot him.

At least 2 out of 3 officers realised then that it's not a good idea to wear shiny uniforms when on a battlefield.

8. Deiform

Deiform Member

I don't think people fully understand who NF actually are. Most people have this belief that NF are insurgants that use guerilla hit and run tactics on BE, who are the much superior technology.

However, from my understanding NF are just on the losing side of a very long battle where periods of peace have come and gone intermittently (sp?). NF are NOT unorganised, they are NOT using scrap for their tanks, and they are NOT outgunned. The Northern Faction are the most ruthless fighters in the Empires world, so veterans wearing modified uniforms as they gain experience in combat would make sense. NF are fearless, and BE should shit their pants when a swarm of NF vets are on the rampage.

They have after all been screwed over by the Empire, and they are not happy about losing their territory.

The main thing I see about BE is that they are very rank orientated, numbers are superior and technology is on par with NF.

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

NF is the remains of a broken nation. Their early actions are terrorist and guerrilla, prior to Empires the game. In the game, its some time after when they have found the weapons cache stowed in the northern islands. That's their main source of tanks. Infantry weapons, equipment, etc, mainly comes from the Southern Islands, reproductions of Jekotian equipment from the war that destroyed Jekotia (to avoid suspicion about new guns) that's smuggled into the north and distributed. The only thing the NF is currently capable of making themselves to my knowledge is the NFAR. According to the brief backstory, it is literally made of parts found in junkyards. They use makeshift factories to assemble them.

Edit: The only reason NF is on par with BE ingame is because NF faces a small occupying force. BE never expected this much escalation so rapidly. When/if the main army reaches former Jekotia, NF is screwed. Empires is set in the lull after the storm. Jekotia has fallen, the NF is rising. There's another storm on the horizon, the Imperial Army. When and if that arrives, unless NF has some plans, they are screwed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

IIRC, most of their military officers were assassinated for not openly opposing the rebellion once BE conquered. BE's goal is not conquest and domination, it is a single united great empire, the 'New Empire' they call it. BE let the officers live in the hopes of their influence helping ease the merging of Jekotia and the Empire. When the fighting got worse they were suspected of helping the insurrection and assassinated.

Edit: Jekotia has resisted since the very beginning. No one was ever happy with the merging. Only the Brenodi queen was, it was her vision to try to merge the nations into a united peaceful empire. Most of the Brenodi populace is opposed to it. The 2 nations formed countless decades ago as a unification of smaller nations that were similar enough to consider themselves a single whole. Once technology advanced far enough for them to reach nano-tech and bio-tech, they diverged even farther. NF opposes the addition of foreign modifications, machines. They believe they should build on whats there, alter and tweak DNA. BE believes that the body is perfect as an organic whole, that it should not be organically modified. It should not be modified, only enhanced with non-intrusive nano-tech.

Edit: This isn't a double post, he deleted his post :<

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  11. Deiform

Deiform Member

I see.

12. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Time for an update

Current poly count
    BE chassis. turret, NF chassis. turret
    CV 5166, 7814
    Jeep 7508, 3976
    APC 1206.600, 2667.560
    AFV/LT 1800.600, 4000.600
    Med 1678.2600, 3000.750
    Heavy 2446.1900, 2633, 1400
    Arty 8550.360, 38842.290

Just by looking at the model, almost half of the NF heavy is in the detail of the spiky things.

The cannons are already separate vehicle parts. While not immediately important, it will make the modular system somewhat simpler.

Now for the models
    reworked the models for the tires and tank treads. The tires are workable for mapping, but the treads still need refining.

These are still undergoing revisions, but the basic direction is not going to change that much.
    changes for v3
    -a more blockey look
    -decreasing the size a bit

edit, I cant seem to get the pics to upload

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  13. Cloud

Cloud Member

I'd rather the polycount wasn't increased, im getting ~17 fps in a large scale tank battle.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

You cant make a good looking low poly model out of the tracks and wheels you use. Theirs to much that will get pump mapped.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't know what you're talking about.

16. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

To be totally honest, I think it looks like crap.

17. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. Too many smooth curves, not very stylistic, just not a chassis that I'd think was appropriate to go out killing in.

Maybe bump mapped textures will help.

18. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Nick, good try but that looks awful D: Concept first man, no matter how fresh that is in your head, you always need a reference of some sort. I learned that the hard way.