A new and updated art direction

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nickierv, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Sorry for the text wall, but I wanted to think this out ant present it in one piece.

After much consideration and experimenting, as well as digging around in the forums, I have decided to try to rework a lot of the vehicles art, especially for NF, as well as making some minor additions to the overall in game art.

In cleaning up the NF art, I want to move away from the tanks looking like freaky rejects from WWII that where pulled from some scrap pile. compared to the modern look of BE tanks, the NF tanks look to be based on designs that are 70+ years old. From what I have read in the storyline, NF is using tanks from the early cold war era, say 50 years old, while BE is based on technology from 20 years ago.
    On a similar note, the size of the buildings is always somewhat of an issue. The NF buildings are quite a bit larger than there BE counterparts, and I was hoping that this could be decreased somewhat.
    I am not looking for realism, just a bit more reasonablisem.

The Grand TODO list:
    Make the NF tanks less ugly.
    -Higher rez skins (sorry, but 1048 just isn't cutting it anymore)
    -Full skins. A lot of people probably don't notice this, but look at the BE CV, all of the text is reflected. This needs to change.
    -Increase the poly count on the models just a bit say 10-15%, 25% would probably be the largest increase, after all we all still want to be able to
    play.
    -Modular Dynamic Armor and Weapons, see below
    What are people doing for changing the UI?
    -Commander UI
    -Vehicle HUD, what to add, change, make look cooler
    -Compressed or single page class selection and vehicle creation
    Wall changes
    -For NF, no more barbed wire!
    -Split walls into com walls and engineer walls?
    Jeeps
    -Reballance or at least update the art.
    Look into fixing the hitboxes
    What are other people working on?

Slight stylistic changes or how to make NF less huge ugly blocks of rust and more actual tanks:
    As they stand now, the NF tanks look more like metal bricks than actual tanks, and to be honest, they just look bad. From the feeling that I got from reading the back story, the NF tanks should look like surplus BE tanks that are outdated two or three generations, refitted a few times, and covered with add ons and some extra armor.
    NF med: get rid of the metal cube: reduce the height slightly, create actual tracks instead of the full chassis tracks that they have now. I have some art finished, I just need a scanner that works. They look like older BE tanks and are different enough from the current BE style.
    NF heavy: Is it just me or did NF steal some WWI tanks and adjust the a bit? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_V_tank#Mark_V_series. For the heavy, get rid of the pointy things on the front (they just seem out of place), the tracks get flattened out, the chassis shortened just a bit and the turret gets adjusted slightly. I'm not quite sure what the things are on the side of the heavy are, but I think those are going to get cut or at least changed.

For both tanks, add on some reactive blocks, think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_armor. This may conflict slightly with the MDA (modular dynamic armor, see below), just make the add on armor welded on.

Modular Dynamic Armor and Weapons: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=9889
    It seems to be possible to reflect the equipment on an individual tank on the appearance of that tank.
    Standard:flat
    Regen: something that slightly resembles scales
    Composite:blocks fit flush on the hull
    Reactive:blocks, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T72_Georgia.jpg
    Reflective:? flat, but more built up.
    Absorbent: a bit more bulky version of reflective?
    Now that I think about it, having modular weapons should be easy.

Changing the HUD/UI for both sides (code/art).
    The current system is functional, but it looks so empty.
    For infantry, keep the primary and secondary ammo counters as they are or change to a numerical value. Add a separate counter for grenades. For engineers, add a numeric charge counter for the tool.
    For vehicles, add a range to target and zoom function. Move the heat indicator out of the middle but keep it more or less the same.

Minor wall changes: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=9888
    What do people think about two different styles of wall, 1 model for engineer placed walls that are roughly the same as what we have now (no more barbed wire), 1 for commander placed walls that is heavier. This will make engineer walls as more of a temporary stopgap and the commander walls are more for permanent fortifications. Regardless, fix the hitboxes.

MKII Jeeps- looks to be shot down.
    While I am working on vehicles, what do people think about giving both sides a 3 seat jeep. If nothing else, I will just design the model, think of it as the jeep mk2.

While these changes are being made, we might as well go in and fix some of the more annoying broken hit boxes, but that needs to be in a different thread.
    Hitbox changes
    NF hover tank
    Walls (both sides)
    Turrets (both sides)

Who else is working on art related projects and what are they doing?
    Vess? New AFV model?
    ? New NF barracks model that is smaller than the current massive block?

Any suggestions/objections?
    I will be posting some design ideas as soon as I can get the digitized.
    As to how long this project is going to take, I don't expect it to be done until the end of this year at the earliest.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I'll admit they could use a smaller CV, but I always kinda liked the NF vehicles. I'm interested to see your new concept though.

3. nebajoth

nebajoth Member

Thank God

I have always loathed the half-assed NF look. Frigging Roman-style leather tunics, and rusted-out tanks. I get it, from a story perspective, but it was not well-executed. BE has MUCH superior art.

IMO, this is one of the most important things required to update the game and bring it to a wider audience.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

-_-

NF is a rag tag group of insurgents for all intensive purposes. You can't update them too much or they won't be NF.

NF is the rounded soft edged rusted buckets and BE is the sharp corners and geometric shape filled team.

If you could describe NF in 1 overused phrase, it would be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If anything, NF vehicles need MOAR ducktape, not less.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

A worn down roman style would be awesome for NF, with all the fancy stuff
    like pennants and even face masks for higher ranks soldiers.

[​IMG]

I think a worn down body armor and helmet for the NF rifleman in that style would be awesome.

:)

6. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Gah, now every time I think of Mayama I'm going to imagine that face staring back at me.

Anyway, I think the NF infantry could perhaps use some improvements, but in large part, I'm fine with most of the NF structures... As for NF's vehicles, I don't want to see much change in them at all, as I love the way they look, and the way that they contrast with Brenodi's.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I also like the look of NF tanks.
    What we need is a new model for the MKII. Maybe connect the last two wheels of the LT with a chain.

And the medium tank should be changed a little. You can't hit near targets, because it is to tall.

8. Jackman

Jackman Member

Well let's just and wait and see what he comes up with, if he does indeed come up with something.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

I like the NF look a lot more than the BE look to be honest.
    The NF heavy looks badass
    The LT looks very nice
    The artillery looks awesome
    They models and textures could certainly be made prettier, there's no doubt about that, but i like the general style a lot.

That doesn't mean i don't like to see something new, ... i think i would just prefer to see the current stuff improved. But sure give it a shot.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I think the nf heavy needs seperated tracks, like on the BE tanks.
    It looks so clumsy and blocky cause its only one block of polygons.

11. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

First page updated

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Uhm I like the ww1 rip offs that NF has

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I think they look retarded.

When the joke was made about driving parallelograms around until the art is ready I don't think it was serious.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

A hud that looks "empty" aims at the right direction

15. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

What do you think about the pointy things on the front?

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I personaly dont like them but dont make concept art
    for the 3 people that post here. Make what you want to do
    and be prepared for the flamewar that starts atm you post
    your first pic :)

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There's nothing wrong with ignoring people, I ignore people all the time.

18. Apogee

Apogee Member

19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

This made me think, what about skins changing as players rank up? As you get more skills you become a slightly preferred target unless the enemy are idiots that don't comprehend rank.

20. zenarion

zenarion Member

I don't think a gang of insurgents would spend that much time on uniforms Mayama.
    The BE are much more decoration-friendly, especially with retarded shit like that.