A grave concern.

Discussion in 'General' started by Hendar23, Dec 13, 2008.

1. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Fail.

If I spam riflemen, aka more numbers.. They still won't do shit to the Heavy tanks.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You forgot about stickys. :P

3. Empty

Empty Member

I believe the subject is infantry.
    Tanks are a whole different can of worms.

4. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

I still see plenty of riflemen rack up 3, 4, 5 kills in rapid succession. I've managed it myself with a fucking SMG1.
    I guess you have to actually aim now though rather than the HURF DURF I POINT GUN IN GENERAL DIRECTION OF BAD GUY AND WIN of the old BEHR/NFAR.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Well actually on open maps with the assault rifles it took fast reflexes and good aim to take out more than 1 person. Sure, in close quarters it's spray and pray, but how has that changed?

6. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

As an Engineer I can rack up 5 kills with the SMG2,and still be there to revive my teamates.Since 50% of them cant kill me at range they have to run up and try to shoot me,and I mow them down with the SMG2.If they had a carbine,All I have to do Is get close to them(easy)and pew pew pew em to death.They dont stand a chance!Aside from that,You always had to aim if you wanted to hit the enemy in one clip in distances of over 30 feet.The whole point of the riflemen is his abilty to kill every other class EASILY.Just like the Gren is supposed to take out tanks and buildings out easily,just like how the engineer can buid and repair things easily,just like the scout can fail easily.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

lol, you really are digging a hole, with no idea what you're filling it with.

In everything to do with war, numbers matter. Individual skill should not account for more than a few people, and I bet it's just because you think you're that much better than everyone else that you're having this problem. You think you should be able to kill 3+ enemies for every ticket you spend, well sorry mate, this isn't super-soldier empires anymore.

It's a life for a life.

8. Empty

Empty Member

But is that fun?

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You know what I found un-fun? When a whole team spawned from a barracks on mvalley to be gunned down by ONE rifleman crouching on top of that rax, regardless of whether or not they saw him and fired back.

Ofcourse that guy had the NF AR in 2.12.

3 troops pinning down 8 competant players for 3 tickets each is not how it should be. Ever.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Those players don't seem very competent if you ask me. If the problem is too hard for them they can always just grab a tank and run the riflemen over. Or try fighting back!

A life for a life is how the real world works, but that's not what makes good gameplay, in RTS yes, but not in FPS. Infantry is swaying towards RTS, and that might be all fun for the commander, but infantry can be replaced by bots now, and nobody would notice.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You're not thinking dude. You're still caught up in disgust, which I can understand. Think about it, in a FPS, only when it's centered on you should you be able to take out the multitudes. Empires has an almost unprecedented teamwork component which means numbers have to mean more than the single duke-nukem.

Infantry cannot be replaced by bots, no way no how. The only reason the infantry are even is because they are both thinking. A bot will not think the way a human will, which makes them easily out manoeuvred. Think about it, almost every empires game, nearly every player outwits another from time to time. With bots it would be constant.

Btw, with the rifleman scenario, introducing tanks breaks your "infantry only" rule, and yes these guys fought back.

12. Empty

Empty Member

8 guys shouldn't fail against 3 unless it's emp_recruits vs vets. I think you just pulled that example out of your ass. It doesn't take much to fight back, considering it's 3 guys without a spawn, you'd have to be retarded to get pinned down.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Meh...if you don't believe me, I don't really mind. It's really just an example of the kind of combat i've seen while thinking about the differences.

Think about it yah? Mvalley has a high ridge above BE's rax at least, 3 riflemen against 3 engies, 3 grens and 2 riflemen who don't know they're there. So, first ticket for all 8 = knowledge. They know they are there now - rather, each set knows about 1 or 2 riflemen, not the 3rd.

2nd ticket = positioned riflemen take anything from 1/5 to 1/2 damage from the spawners and possibly die.

3rd ticket = death by explosive nade and the last kills the rifleman can make before they die.

With only a little difficulty, that could be 16+ tickets taken. If the situation was 3 pro's with ammo versus 8 pub vets, they might even survive the 3rd ticket. In fact, it just has to be the difference between someone good at FPS's, and someone good at RTS's.

Tbh, if someone as generic as me can take down 6 people in a row with the engies smg2 it's broken. Badly.

14. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

you mean

1. somebody dies, calls for comm targets
    2. everybody else alive gets the targets
    3. riflemen die

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Oh wow did I mean that? It is funny how you can't think of anything inside the scenario though :p

16. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

also, you're assuming everybody is fucking retarded

this may be true some of the time, but really now, come on

17. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Three guys camping my spawn point in 2.12? I die once, maybe. Kill 1 or 2. Spawn again, go behind them, and THEY ALL DIE. BWAHAHAHA.

Now, I don't even bother spawning.

18. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Switch class...
    Take BE Heavy Asault Rifle...
    Take Accuracy upgrade...

Total ownage

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Or with other words, OMG YOU HAVE TO USE THE RIGHT CLASS/ITEMS FOR THE SITUATION NOW

20. kalevi

kalevi Member

about losing players

Since the update non of my friends feel like playing anymore. Thats 5 players less for empires. Losing the good old feel of weapons is just too much for the most of us.

...and yeah, you can tell us bullshit like we need SKILL now, we needed it in 2.12 too.

Now, I am just disappointed, and before you start flaming me: I don't expect anything from the devs, its their right to make the game as unpopular as they want.

For many of us, Empires was the no.1 favourite game, we loved it. No wonder that radical changes make many of the old players whine.