A better comm alarm

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Tuxu, Feb 3, 2009.

?

Commander under attack alarm should... <you can choose more then one answer>

1. ...get longer and louder! XO

57.9%
  2. ...flash on the bottom of the screen in red.

84.2%
  3. ...stay as it is.

7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tuxu

Tuxu Member

You probably saw the 3:25 pug video.
    if not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5Jfm_-RM0

Sonecha was trying to type something because the team ignored the situation at home and NF didn't know they should ck and spawn at home.

i think that if there was a really annoying and long alarm sound even the worst case of adhd among us would notice his comm gets railed.

my suggestion is a longer and louder "comm is under attack" alarm.

5 seconds should be cool.

2. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I personally believe it is the commander's responsibility to alert the troops. Having a comm without a mic is just a bad idea.

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Sonecha? Wasn't it mayama?

4. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

yeah the comm alarm should be easier to hear, really if a lot of talking happening on mic's you might not hear it at all (neither the comm nor the troops).

Also maybe when in the comm view make it possible to show the pic of the comm vech with the armor plates and all still, would make it even more noticeable your CV get attacked as the comm

5. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

The commander view should shake when you get attacked by anything explosive (i.e. anything that could damage the cv) as any explosion is going to shake the vehicle, how could the commander sitting inside not notice it?

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Not shake it, a red flash would be enough.

7. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I was going to nay-say any suggestion that made it "easier" for the comm to do his job, since I think it is already a bit too easy to comm with a bit of practice. This suggestion how ever is a pretty cool idea. I doubt it would ever be done, but very cool idea.

8. o_O

o_O Member

If multiple people are talking over eachother while you are watching a gunbattle and trying to yell at people to do something its easy to miss. More then once I have been nearly decconed to death before noticing it. Yea its my fault for not paying attention, but its also annoying to not hear the warning. The red flashing graphical thing is a nice idea.

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Most of the time, people know the com is dieing, but they are just too caught up in the action, they don't want to kill spawn. Training yourself to be more obedient and disciplined will help your com stay alive.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I will swear upon my heart that as soon as i herd the commander being under attack i killspawned, sadly the barracks was already down and by the time i found another barracks to spawn on the map (we had 2, just had to move my mouse and click it) the game was over

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Often the comm just doesn't know. It's bizarrely easy for the comm to not realize they're being shot at if the audio alert is drowned out by something else.

And, more importantly... sometimes the comm will not have a mic. Yes, yes, it feels good to say "EVERY COMM SHOULD HAVE A MIC!", but many players don't, and sometimes nobody but a micless player will be willing to comm.

We should strive to add as much support to the interface for micless comms as possible, because nobody benefits from having a comm crippled by interface concerns. In general, the comm's interface should be as streamlined as possible... the comm's chief enemy should be the other team, and their primary concern should be strategy and planning against them. If we could have an interface that plugged directly into the comm's brain and effortlessly translated their strategy into instructions to their team (and buildings and research, etc), we would. We can't do that, but we should strive to get as close to it as possible.

Having the comm crippled by the interface is just no fun for anyone involved. The only[ skills that should matter for the comm are knowing the game's "basics" -- research, weapons, buildings, etc -- having a firm grasp of strategy, and so forth.

Even then, the game should be designed to make it as hard as possible for a comm to completely screw up and ruin the game. Having the game ruined is not fun. That concern trumps everything else. Good comms should beat bad comms; but optimally, there would be a 'minimum failure line', beyond which it is difficult for the comm to do worse. Having complete and absolute pathetic failure as a possibility for comms adds nothing to the game and only scares away potential comms (who could, in time, become good).

12. gezor

gezor Member

im asking for a better "CV is under attack" warning since 2.0 came out ... nothing has changed so far. :mad:
    seems that devs dont want to change this.

13. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

sadly not everyone is as disciplined as you are. You are right, the adeptness of the opposing team also contributes to successful attacks

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

meh, give it time. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it.

15. gezor

gezor Member

more than a year isnt enough time? it cant be that hard to give the sound the highest priority and add a text message ...