$500 128GB Surface Pro - Tablet/Laptop Hybrid

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Feb 1, 2014.

?

Ridiculously good deal?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. Yes (but I'm a faggot)

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

You could of eaten a Chinese baby for a cheaper price and get the same experience.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Why?

Do both end up with you being satisfied with a little guilty pleasure?

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

He said he chose it over the stock android experience

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

You, Viroman and Ricky Gervais should go on a comedy tour.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

im game. We could get at least one sell out show before people figure out how... interesting our views are.

6. BigTeef

I would love too, I am actually a fan of Ricky.

Fine, throw in some hotsauce.
    So picky!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Fooshi is just an xperia fanboy, I'm pretty sure all the smartphones he's owned are xperia.

And let's be honest here, the waterproofness isn't much use out in UAE. But SD card is definitely a pull factor, I hate any technology that doesn't allow storage modification, and for that it really was a better purchase than the nexus 10. That is if the nexus 10 doesn't have SD card slots, I'm just speaking from quote here.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I used to think removable batteries and storage made sense, but I can't kid myself anymore.

My first smartphone was a droid x, but I never replaced the battery or micro sd card. My next and current phone is a galaxy s 3. I'm almost at the two year mark and I only own one battery. I've used the micro sd card once to get questionable video files from a friend's phone to be phone, but I could've (and probably should've) used something like wifi direct instead.

If sammy keeps putting replaceable batteries and storage in their phones, I'll probably keep buying them, but I question whether I'll actually ever use them.

9. ImSpartacus

I feel like a Debbie downer in this thread, but android tablets are kinda shit. I don't want them to suck, but they suck.

I know there are decent 7"ish tablets like the nexus 7, but those are just giant phones without data service.

I had the unique experience of intimately using both a $400 ASUS Transformer tf101 and a $500 10" iPad 2 over a multi year stretch. The iPad wins hands fucking down. Battery life is ridiculously good especially after like 3 years. The fucking transformer has a similarly sized battery, but it was noticeably worse when both devices were new. Now it's bordering unusable.

The transformer is slow as fuck. Tegra 2 was a shit tablet soc. The goddamn iPad is like perfect. The default browser browses the web (80+% tablet usage) like a champion. I want chrome to feel as smooth because I'm a Google fanboy (and chrome sync is awesome), but it just doesn't.

I don't like the aspect ratio on the iPad because watching video is the other 20% of tablet usage, but I can live with that.

I haven't used the thick/heavy retina ipads or equivalent android tablets, but they are probably out of that omg-moar-pixels-means-slow-&-no-battery phase. But I haven't heard good things about the nexus 10.

The iPad Air on the other hand? Jesus Fuck, it's the thinnest lightest ipad, but it's battery isn't shit. If I didn't hate iOS so much, that'd be mah choice.

Tablets suck.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

You don't need removable batteries, but it's good for when your faulty as shit android programs (gnu/linux freedum) lock up your entire phone and it keeps you from rebooting.

But you do need expandable storage. I can't stress this enough that there's nothing like listening to music in your car, and the jews won't let spotify into Canada.

11. ImSpartacus

Lol, that's like the only reason I've removed my battery.

I think many phones with batteries have hardware-fueled solutions for "forcing" a reboot. I know the razr had like a button combination or some shit. It just makes sense that other phones would do the same.

Use Pandora? Grooveshark?

If those are not available, then check out cds from your local library (yes, you might have to wait a few weeks you impatient child) and upload them to Google Music.

I think we've been over this topic once before. If you're not candles and you have hipster tastes (or you think you're an audiophile), then music is free.

12. McGyver

Protip: You can store music on non-expandable storage too! Of course, you still want to avoid iOS if you are into that, because iTunes is the biggest pile of shit i ever installed on my PC.

13. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

This is in spite of the time you got home drunk and took a dump in the cd drive, I'm guessing?

The fact that there are phones that you can't remove the battery from baffles me. Meanwhile, I am still using a flip phone which I purchased in 2008.

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I am completely serious.

14. BigTeef

[​IMG]

We match!
    kinda

Your phone might be better than mine, I am constantly reminded how much money I need to spend to recharge it.

15. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

The amount I need to recharge is one of several reasons I never upgraded. I only need to charge every week and a half or so, it's wonderful.

I intend to finally upgrade in May, though. I'm thinking Samsung's Galaxy S4, I've borrowed a friend's a couple times and it's supposed to have decent battery life. I doubt I'll ever get used to it after I make the transition though.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It's like you don't listen.
    My. Car. Man.

I already use Grooveshark and Pandora is also not available in Canada.

And I can find my totally 'hipster' music like Gramatik and Bonobo on grooveshark anyway so stop calling it that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  17. McGyver

Well, if you turn data off on your smartphone then you get a week of battery life too. ^^
    But honestly i stopped caring about apps and stuff some time ago. All i ever use on my iPhone is the camera, the weather forecast and the e-mail client.

18. McGyver

Also, if you are looking for a new smartphone, get the Xperia Z1 Compact, big phones are the suck.

19. ImSpartacus

You're right. I forgot that phones stop working in the car.

20. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

I had a graphing calculator (hp 49g+) with an SD card slot.

I had a 8 MB SD card that came with my camcorder from around 2005 (it might have been for taking photos) and I used that with my calculator. Since the 49g+ had 2.5 MB flash memory, the SD card seemed huge. I used the card for backups and such, it was useful for that purpose although I never shared files with anyone since I was apparently the only one in my school with this calculator (or a compatible one).

Oh, and I still use a "dumb"phone.