48 players EAT BANDWIDTH

Discussion in 'Support' started by mitties, Dec 4, 2007.

1. mitties

mitties Member

Just wanted to let everyone know when my server is full with 48/48 people in it, it's SUCKING up about 5.5 mbps and sucking down about 1mbps. I don't know if this is a problem with the mod, or if having some many people in one server just multiplies the bandwidth usage tremendously. I have a 2000 gig per month limit, at this rate I will come very very close to capping our before the end of the month. I better start begging for donations lol. Or just turn it down to like a 32 player game, that might help control bandwidth.

[​IMG]

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Here are a few server variables:

emp_sv_vehicle_fadeout_time
    // Number of seconds until a destroyed vehicle model is removed. (Default = 20)

emp_sv_max_vehicles
    // Number of vehicles each team can have at any given time. (Default = 32)
    // This is a very important issue. Limit it to like 10 (10 vehicles per team)
    emp_sv_max_buildings
    // Number of buildings (not counting walls or turrets) each team can have at any given time. (Default = 32)
    // This is pretty well-balanced for such a big server.

Also, DON'T MAKE YOUR SERVER 100-TICK. It lags like hell on Empires, just keep it 33.

I'll give you a few more hints when I return home.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  3. Caelo

Caelo Member

besides I recall Krenzo mentioning theres no difference between a 100 tik server and a 66 on Empires..

4. mitties

mitties Member

Yes I have it running at 33 tick.

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The largest reason it eats bandwidth is because of the wide open levels. We have distance culling so that network info isn't transmitted about things too far away to see, but when you have a bunch of people in one area, that uses up a lot. Compare that to regular HL 2 games where the levels are small, and you can only see a few people at once.

6. Turak

Turak Member

so its no way for u guys to fix this uberlagg ? :P

7. TeRmInAtEr2

TeRmInAtEr2 Member

Just request more bandwidth from SL. It's really not alot.

/endsarcasm

8. Turak

Turak Member

Not evrybody have never ending bandwidth :headshot:

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

minimap update supposedly helps

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The default minimap update is rather long. The most bandwidth is spent on sending player and vehicle position and angles since those are sent for every player and vehicle for every frame.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

And even then, I've had issues with players appearing before my eyes when going around a corner (only happpened twice though). So server variables lengthening this isn't a good idea methinks :p (talking to OP)

12. Turak

Turak Member

what if u did see somthing that wasnt ther ? :D maybe he was using speed hack, invs hack or wall hack ? :P

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

May I recommend not trying to put so many players on the server?

I mean, it's clear you don't have enough bandwidth. I know Krenzo's done a hell of a job optimizing Empires (I mean, I'm on dial-up, and as long as less than 10 or 15 or so people are visible at once I'm usually fine). Just remember that what you're hosting is quite a bit more demanding than most mods.

Besides, if you drop the max number of players, I might come around more often :-D

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

mitties' server is the best 48 slot server out there. It doesn't lag even with 10-20 vehicles. (when other fall with updates/s to 8-10)

15. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Mittie, you've got to remember other Source mods don't have 20 tanks duking it out while squads of infantry are gunning eahother down in another area, while turrets are shooting and buildings blowing up all the time with a commander wizzing around overhead issuing orders to his troops and placing new buildings.:D

Plus all this happening on maps 20 times bigger than most maps from other games, not to mention the inherent lack of enclosed areas that help performance by breaking up the Visleafs. You should have seen the server usage in 1.07, Krenzo has done an amazing job cutting useage in half for 2.0.

16. mitties

mitties Member

I had to reduce my server down to a 46 player server. At 48 players it was spiking up to 100% of it's cpu and making the update rate bog down to like 8. But 46 players seems to work very well.

17. mitties

mitties Member

I also changed a few of the settings to bring some of the overall bandwidth usage down a little. I should be within my 2000gb limit even with my COD4 server running. (If I hit it it's only $100 for another 1000gb :P)

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

mitties is my favorite server out there, it's amazing.

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I'm working on optimizing vehicles right now. It should help a lot.

20. TeRmInAtEr2

TeRmInAtEr2 Member

Woohoo! Reduce the bandwidth! I'm supporting this for the next update the whole way. :P

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007