48 players EAT BANDWIDTH

Discussion in 'Support' started by mitties, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Anything that reduces bandwidth use makes me cry tears of happiness.

2. mitties

mitties Member

Damn your server is #3? I hope i can take that spot soon :D hehehe.

3. CoZmicShReddeR

CoZmicShReddeR Member

So you guys that host the huge servers do you see the task manager network for the Empires mod like reach 100% usage when the servers full??

I see mine get near the top and the CPU usage is nutty like almost 90%...

I also host Zombie Master and when My ZM is full and Empires is full the lag between the two is insane...

I am reading all of this and experimenting with the settings seems I been putting way to much out for my other servers...

I have the Empires on the 3rd CPU and ZM on the 4th CPU but they reach a staggering rate on the Network...

I reduced my Empires to 32 slots 16 reserved for Admins and Clan members but it still gets insane...

Only way for me to run a huge Empires server is to shut all the other servers down.

I reduced all the network settings for all my servers hopefully it will help.

4. NowakPL

NowakPL Member

bandwidth ... but how much cpu does it use? What hardware is the server running on / what cpu use?

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Cozmicshredder: CPU use from Empires server doesn't change linearly with players. There are buildings, turrets, vehicles, grenades and normal soldiers (mortar, rpg). Bandwidth - Empires needs 30kB/s for 1 player.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You should reduce the building limits.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Static buildings don't change a lot (or nothing at all).

8. TeRmInAtEr2

TeRmInAtEr2 Member

No, I never really have that problem. It could be because of the issue with affinity setting to one core and that one core being over loaded. But otherwise, I don't have that issue. I mean at one point, the Empires server was full, I had 16 people in a CS:S server, and two full 32 man TF2 servers.

Not to say I wasn't having problems with the bandwidth we were using, but the server ran well with no problems at all. And from a past post, I assume you have the same server I do. Mind telling us some of the CVars you use for your server? I found out the hard way that 100, even 66 tick can take a toll on server performance when it has around 32 people.