3rd person view @ jeeps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BlakkCooper, Jun 29, 2008.

1. BlakkCooper

BlakkCooper Member

facepalm.jpg

srsly, do u think it's a problem to make parts transparent? we live in 2008 - IT'S POSSIBLE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

btw: the idea with the 3rd person view is still available! i mean look @ gta or nfs: in this games u can/have to drive in 3rd person and it works great!

2. Demented

Demented Member

The rollbars on the jeep don't have a problem. They're basically slapped onto the rest of a perfectly whole jeep, and 'transparentifying' them is painless. For some reason, there's also no collision model for the rollbars, so you won't even know they're gone.

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya the making annoying part of the jeep transparent by editing the textures made perfect sense to me, its just like people using bender models for CS back in the day.(well accept were not changing the model just texture)

people changing the models on their PC is a trick that has been used often and for a long time.

4. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Well im not sure about transparency but I think the entire jeep should be remodeled and edited so all players can see most of the time.

The bar seems a bit too think though.

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I agree the bars are far too sentient.

6. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Maybe instead of thick bars, you have roll cages in between the back and front seats.

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Just so you know, cam_command 1 activates thirdperson, but it won't deactivate and is angled, so you'd have to use cam_ commands to modify the angle, and that could cause problems with aiming (not with the jeep though).
    Cam_command is a cheat protected command, so don't bother trying it on a public server.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i've always thought that first person camras are far more intimate and bring the player into the game a lot better.

9. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I do actually, I've just made an alpha channel for the jeep texture to hide some of the rollbars. What I was worried about was removing polys without changing the hitboxes, but the rollbars dont seem to have hitboxes, also as Chris said, leaving holes in the jeep. If the mesh was sealed, there would be holes where the bars meet the hull of the jeep, but as I've found out the roll bars polys are independent of the hull, so hiding them doesn't leave any holes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, theres a bit more visibility now, which is cool, and no holes. I could remove more of the bars but that would make it look weird when the jeep is knocked onto its roof, as I think it would look like it is hovering because of the size of the physics box. What do you think?

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

That's pretty clean man.. I like the idea of putting this one in until megels jeep is made..

11. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I think I could probably take that poky little exhaust thing that is just to the left off the driver view away as well, it doesnt do anything other than block visibility for driving.

I was also thinking about taking the hatches off of AFVs and APCs, man do they piss me off.

Obviously I would ask for developer approval before releasing any of this tho, and remember a server set with sv_pure would overwrite the mods anyway.

12. Demented

Demented Member

The hatches have collision boxes, strangely enough.

13. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Lol who'd have thought, scratch that then.

That'll explain all the times I've killed myself with a rocket firing from a turret, the rocket probably comes out at a weird angle and hits the hatch.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I actually said that to chris, not you, but you did it like i thought it should be done. Since the rollbars have no collisions, you shouldn't have to ask permission to remove them.

15. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I did it just to see if it could be done actually, its quite a simple process, the only difficult and time consuming part is finding the corresponding areas on the texture. Just to remove the front bars I had to find and alpha mask 4 different tiny strips and one square, all in totally different areas on the texture, it's not at all obvious which parts of the texture correspond to specific parts on the model. Bit of a pain in the ass but a lot easier than doing a new UV map and recompiling the model.

I thought I might need permission as these art assets obviously belong to someoen else, it's only fair to ask when editing someone elses work. If theres no problem though, I'll upload the new textures and provide a download link later today for people who want to use the jeeps with improved driver visibility.

16. Empty

Empty Member

I believe the RPG bug is caused they the rocket spawning then sticking for half a second [like the mortar] and then it unsticks and you've gone forward in the vehicle then you go SPLAT

17. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Ok here it is for anyone who wants it, NF jeep with front rollbars removed.

Download (1.3 MB)