3 Tier Vehical Decay

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

One of the coolest things I've seen was a grenadier using his own derelict vehicle as cover against his enemy's. How ever that instance was cut short by the spontaneous evaporation of his cover. I propose vehicles go through a form of decay. When it can no longer be piloted the model is switched (decayed) with a more beat up version, this happens twice more with the final model being a crumpled blackened heap and then detonates completely. This process can be a timed sequence as well as being accelerated by repeated explosive damage to the chassis.

The amount of fire needed to decay a level is negotiable.

(With this system you might be able to add other functions. like repairing a vehicle from tier 1 to Functionality again. Or the harvesting of materials from said wreaks for res. But these are not why I'm suggesting this.)

Pros:
    -A dynamic and visually pleasing method of providing front line infantry cover

Cons:
    -passage ways may become difficult to navigate with buildup of dead chassis

Alternatives:
    -Explosion animation upon removal of dead vehicle

2. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Hmm. I think it could be done (I've had this issue too.) Should it apply to buildings, too? I've often been hiding inside a blackened building only to suddenly have it vanish (in fact, I like to go prone and use it to try and ambush people outside.)

But there are some issues. One big one is processing power -- I assume the fast cleanup speed is partially set with that in mind. Would having vehicle husks last longer put more strain on servers?

3. Empty

Empty Member

I demand tank gibs.

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Me too but we should think small first. The new devs get over whelmed easyer.
    But if the first tier for wheeled vehicles involved wheels flying outward and the body doing a very slight bounce I would be embarrassingly giddy.

5. Demented

Demented Member

So, instead of spontaneously evaporating, it would first go through a couple stages of discoloring before spontaneously evaporating in a puff of smoke?

6. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

While we are at it, can we get rid of that stupid jump that vehicles do when they are destroyed?
    1. It causes problems with "jumping" vehicles landing on those that are still operating.
    2. Its stupid!

I would rather they roll and come to a stop, instead of jumping in the air and gaining momentum.

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

It would also get smaller. Crumpled. smashed.Destroyed. With the latter addition of gibs it would be far more believe able.
    But most of all it will provide destructible obstacles to hot zones. And it will be easyer to tell which ones are dead. It's not as pointless as you think.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  8. Kamber

Kamber Member

I remember a while ago, someone had messed around with some commands on the JPL server and managed to make destroyed vehicles not disappear. we played a scrim vs CW and it definitely made for some cool game play. though the dead vehicles did start getting in the way around mid match and we had to start ramming them to the side.

9. Empty

Empty Member

It's so you know a vehicle has died. And it's not THAT bad.

10. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Would be nifty if you could recycle the ruins and gain a tiny bit of res back.

Engineer ability of course :D

11. Empty

Empty Member

Careful with permatanks.

Lotta smoke involved.
    And no free edicts eventually.

12. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

It turning into a black smoking reck isn't enough to let you know its dead? I guess it jumping into the air and landing on top of me is a good way of letting me know its dead {!}

13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It's a bit too strong, I think. I've seen vehicles in the water get thrown ten or twenty feet in the air as they die, which just looks silly.