2.9.X testing - changelog inside

Discussion in 'Testing Discussion' started by Thexa4, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Subforum is not a good place for bug reports, lots of useless threads, lots of useless posts whenever I open a thread, it's terrible, it just is.

Same thing as far as I'm concerned.

I articulated it fully and truly, Security never gave walls less HP, he only increased the damage they take from tank weapons. And why is that? because walls were already too strong, took too long to take down, delayed games by several minutes. Now you want to put a research that makes those walls even stronger in the game? Why? You can't just go adding research without reasons, I'm not the one who should be doing the explaining, you guys are. What's the point of having stronger walls? when would that be useful enough to turn a game around?
    I mean do you even realise that if you implement the research engineers won't be able to take down a wall even with a full calculator and repair upgrade, do you understand how bad that sounds?

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Well... Perhaps add a new skill to engineer? To allow them to deconstruct buildings much faster. "Demolition expert" or something.
    Or.... Make scout great again! Why not allow walls to be sapped by scouts?

Both of these would work... And help counter stronger walls. And increased wall strength would be situational at best anyway.

3. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

A new version 2.9.0.6 has been released to the beta branch. Changes include a hud update and a hint when standing too near an unbuilt refinery point.

4. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I hope the hint is in Russian :P

5. Metruption

Metruption Member

Would it be possible for empires to make a call to the windows api and display the hint in whatever language the user's computer is set to without hardcoding a response for five or so common languages?

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

and who would translate the hints in all those languages? Let's face it, if you don't speak english you shouldn't be playing Empires.

7. Thexa4

Empires already supports translatable strings but we don't have the manpower to translate them and keep them up to date.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

give file with strings, ill give it back in german.

theres people from all across the globe (at least from the richer countries), it should be possible to at least cover a lot of major languages.

9. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

The smg3 is still going to be awfull looking at those changes. The only time the smg3 was anygood is when it had 50 damage. The recoil is terrible and the rate of fire is not sufficient.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

you know i kinda refrained from posting opinions about the changes because i figured this topic was more about finding game-breaking bugs in the test version

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Moderately improving an useless weapon is better than "possibly" creating a new OP weapon, don't you agree?

As long as I am heading the right direction, you shouldn't worry.

I believe it's not too late for me to submit changes so feel free to say anything that's constructive.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  12. Thexa4

An update (2.9.0.15) has been released on steam with the latest bugfixes for the upcoming test: https://forums.empiresmod.com/index...6pm-utc-1pm-est-empires-2-9-0-playtest.20314/

This fixes the following bugs:
    Full changelog is updated in first post.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  13. complete_

complete_ lamer

no one uses emp_sv_refinery_interval but why remove it? it doesn't hurt to have a cvar that can be set to give resources every 5 seconds instead of 1

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Good catch, I missed that. No reason to remove it. AND it's still in the options when you create a server.

15. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

The reason was that it didn't work with the new resource ticker. When I was going to investigate how to fix that, I encountered a problem with scout-sabotaged refineries overriding that value for themselves. I can't remember exactly but it seemed more trouble than it was worth, for something we never use. I'll go remove it from those options, thanks Xya.