[2.25] Rifleman weapon balance

Discussion in 'Archive' started by -Mayama-, May 17, 2009.

1. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Nothing can shoot faster than the NFHR, it literally fires as fast as you can click. Also, a burst doesn't count as fast firing.

2. OuNin

OuNin Member

Options. I like this. Removing options just emphasizes boring stalemates.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

NFHR should be a shotgun, but with slugs.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I scripted that. People bitched. I've still got the scripts though if you want to take a look, from what I can see so far:

Too accurate.
    Not enough pellets.
    NFAR is absolute and complete rape.

But if you wanna look, sure, PM me and I'll link you to the scripts. It has 6 pellets per shot, with 9 in total (I think).

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

Except we all know my scripts were better. :p (BE AUTO SHOTTY FOR GREAT JUSTICE)

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Mine had that too, it just didn't empty its entire clip in 0.00001 nanoseconds.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Why is the rifleman "the rambo class" atm that is best at everything exept
    building stuff when the devs said that the focus should be more on teamwork?

Atm a bunch of rifleman can win-rush the game without any problem from start
    or push very far into enemy territory and that equals win by refs in a standart game situation.
    If the enemy team has noone with good aim one rifleman is enough.

I dont get what was the design decision behind that?
    Turning the game into rifleman versus rifleman with build slaves and tanks?

If the rifleman is supposed to be the hard counter against all other classes
    than one other class needs a hardcounter against rifleman or the game is like
    said, rifleman versus rifleman.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

It is not best at everything, it cannot build any faster than scouts or grenadiers, and its anti-tank weapon is very close ranged. Its anti structure capabilities are poor and they cannot kill many turrets on their own. Riflemen can be stopped by turrets for which they require another class to deal with, are slow builders which means engineers are required and have to get close to tanks to kill them, requiring support from other classes.

If the enemy team has noone with good aim, i.e. a team of relative newbies then the more experienced team will crush them.

Well riflemen are stopped pretty short by well placed turrets and walls which they lack the equipment to destroy so they are hardly uncounterable.

Well making the mortar effective against dug in riflemen is all the counter that is needed, riflemen are the anti infantry class, they are useless against turrets, walls and long range tanks. Those require other infantry to deal with and they are supported in their actions by the riflemen giving them covering fire.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

In scrims, aka games where everyone knows what to do, its
    rifleman versus rifleman with buildslaves and later tanks!

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So you're saying you just rush large groups of riflemen into each other, don't heal or revive or drop ammo or walls, and don't use the mortar from elevated positions or the RPG against early tanks and APCs, don't drop mines or repair your tanks?

If that's the case I don't think anybody knows what to do, much less everybody.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol yeah that's exactly what we do. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you can get 2 of your brain cells to work at the same time this will make sense...

If you rush every choke point with rifleman and dig-in and have engineers who revive/heal/drop walls ammo turrets.. You take land and keep it, which doesn't leave much res for the enemy team.. Which also means you get MORE and BETTER tanks(Can you imagine that?!). Everyone knows where mines are placed and if they are not placed at those places then you can see them easily.. Basically if your gonna be a gren in a scrim you will be at the bottem of the scoreboard. Grens only kill idiots and very very unlucky people now. Why use them to kill tanks when you have tanks to kill tanks.

I know it's hard your brain to work good when thinking stuff needs be done. But its going to be ok, head ache will stop soon.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So you mean you get a clever and coordinated team of players using the the support and anti-infantry classes working together and you make a good advance in the early game?

Well gee whiz that's a shocker.

The grenadier won't be much use except if you're fighting from a hilltop or fighting tanks, and the scout is retarded, you could make the scout into another anti-infantry class if you like, then you'd have three classes at the start.

Considering you have three functional classes at the moment and two of them have an important use against infantry that's not really bad going.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

gren is pretty useless right now. engineer kills structures better, tanks only die if they're newb. That's the two core areas of the gren and it sucks at them.

I havn't got the SVN to work yet but i hope to god they've sorted the ammo for the gren out. I've hit a light tank with every single shell and missile i had, after stocking up with ammo to the normal ammo cap, and not taken the bitch down.

mayama is dead accurate here.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Just wanted to ask if the BEcarbine will change in 2.25.
    Its just to overpowered, every good player can agree.

Its basical a sniper weapon that works while you are standing
    with ironsight and almost automatical hit with at least one bullet.
    For close combat its a nice shotgun that works while you are running.
    and if you have time to aim at close range you can instakill people with
    3x headshots.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Is there any gun in existence you don't think is under or overpowered?

The assault rifles are the best guns now, they work in most situations, the carbine/hr could do with being reassigned to another role because I don't think we really need a long range weapon, the assault rifles are a nicely balanced weapon because they do work at long range, just not well enough to make close range combat impossible.

They're quite fun to use and easy to get kills with, I can kill like five or six people in rapid succession with them. I don't think that makes them overpowered because the other team have access to the same guns I do, it just means I'm pretty good at using them. The only thing I'd change about them is maybe make them a bit easier to understand, I don't think a huge number of people really know that they work best if you tap the button rather than holding it, and also that ironsights aren't really neccesary.

Maybe a slight nerf to the minimum spread when out of IS mode so that I can't just tap the button and kill everyone out of IS. Also maybe a firemode selector which switches between full auto and single shot, in full auto the minimum number of bullets fired is a three round burst, and it has reduced accuracy, in single shot there is a delay between shots but they are as accurate as the gun currently is.

That should make it more obvious to people that you can use the gun in different ways, and it makes it feel a bit more polished because tapping a full auto gun feels like an exploit.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Balance it and I will stop telling the devs that its not balanced.
    Everyone can tell you that the BEcar is totaly overpowered.

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It's basically a sniper rifle that works good in close range too.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't find it remotely overpowered. In fact I rarely use either of the long range rifles unless I specifically know I'm going to be shooting over long range and can't get closer because in any other situation the ARs work better.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would say swap the carbine and the assault rifle model, and turn the carbine in an automated shotgun, but who listens to me :p

20. communism

communism poof

Yeah im fucked up, but I read this and giggled to myself

Are you serious chris? I can go gren against a team of newbs and maybe get a 3-1 score, I can go rifle against a team of players and get a 10-1 score. Shit needs to be done about this, I for one find that class boring as shit and a newb magnet...so lets bring some skill into the system